Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 10:08 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,225,839 times

Advertisements

Is it typical for men's metabolism to slow down after 40? I'm 44, and within the past year, have started struggling to keep fat off my abdomen.

Background: Never been overweight, I'm 5'9" and weigh today about 161, have been working out at the gym regularly for 18 years and doing regular cardio for over 20 years. Due to having 3 year old twins, my gym visits are only 3 times a week, but I do average 12-14 miles per week of fast walking (gave up running for walking over a decade ago)

Today's food is typical for me - breakfast is low fat Activia yogurt with 3-4 tblsp. granola and a handfull of blueberries, one egg white scrambled w/one low fat turkey link, snack = handfull of raw almonds, lunch is a 300 or so calorie Healthy Start vegetarian meal with two Wasa (no fat, high fiber) crackers, an orange, and 3 low fat Oreos, afternoon snack of an apple. Dinner will be two veggie hamburger patties, squash cooked in olive oil, three bean salad w/fat free dressing on it, then about a half cup fat free sorbet for dinner. The the bad.... munchies kick in around 8 p.m. so I've been trying a little natural peanut butter on one or two Wasa crackers, or a couple handfulls of those pretzel sticks that are nearly fat free.

For years I weighed 157 or so. But the weight I've put on is right in my abdomen and I can't stand it. I've cut all beer out and only allow myself wine on Friday and Saturday evening, so I don't think I'm drinking enough to put on a "beer belly". I don't get it. I eat no fast food, no fried food. I excercise, and often go to bed hungry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 10:56 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,711,674 times
Its because you walk instead of run. Running burns off a lot more food calories. If you want to avoid joint strain and get your calorie burn back start using a bike or swim. Start lifting to preserve your lean mass now. Its good for the bones and will help give you a little edge with your metabolism if your turn extra calories into lean tissue instead of fat.

Old 04-05-2011, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Its because you walk instead of run. Running burns off a lot more food calories. If you want to avoid joint strain and get your calorie burn back start using a bike or swim. Start lifting to preserve your lean mass now. Its good for the bones and will help give you a little edge with your metabolism if your turn extra calories into lean tissue instead of fat.
I do lift weights (have been lifting for 18 years without a break) and am quite lean w/muscle everywhere else. The only fat is showing up on my abdomen. I've increased ab workouts as well. I have lower back pain (on and off) ever since I was 20 which prevents the running, so maybe I should buy a bike. Nothing has changed in my workout routine and if anything, diet has improved in the past year, so I'm guessing my metabolism has slowed. I just want to avoid looking like a chubby middle-aged man!

Old 04-05-2011, 12:22 PM

3,822 posts, read 9,475,666 times
I'm a couple of years ahead of you and was running into the same problem. Read this book and it helped a lot. One thing that I have read in other places is that no matter what you weigh, your belly justs gets bigger as you age. So I have just gotten used to the fact that even though I am in really good shape, I'll never fit into a 32" waist pair of jeans again.

Amazon.com: The 6-Week Cure for the Middle-Aged Middle: The Simple Plan to Flatten Your Belly Fast! (9780307450715): Michael R. Eades, Mary Dan Eades: Books

Old 04-05-2011, 12:46 PM

2,406 posts, read 7,902,719 times
I have this info in a textbook...but can't really post it so this sums it up pretty well:
Lose Belly Fat Fast With HIIT Cardio | Runlikeh3ll! A Runner's Blog For The Rest Of Us.

Yes, high intensity interval training has been shown to reduce stomach fat.
As everyone ages, metabolism slows. Up your workout and you should be fine.
By the way, the eating could be better, especially since you say you go to bed hungry.

Old 04-05-2011, 12:50 PM

665 posts, read 1,728,305 times
I really think men become sensitive to grains as they age. I gave up pasta and corn and tightened right up.

Old 04-05-2011, 12:52 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,068,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Is it typical for men's metabolism to slow down after 40? I'm 44, and within the past year, have started struggling to keep fat off my abdomen.

Background: Never been overweight, I'm 5'9" and weigh today about 161, have been working out at the gym regularly for 18 years and doing regular cardio for over 20 years. Due to having 3 year old twins, my gym visits are only 3 times a week, but I do average 12-14 miles per week of fast walking (gave up running for walking over a decade ago)

Today's food is typical for me - breakfast is low fat Activia yogurt with 3-4 tblsp. granola and a handfull of blueberries, one egg white scrambled w/one low fat turkey link, snack = handfull of raw almonds, lunch is a 300 or so calorie Healthy Start vegetarian meal with two Wasa (no fat, high fiber) crackers, an orange, and 3 low fat Oreos, afternoon snack of an apple. Dinner will be two veggie hamburger patties, squash cooked in olive oil, three bean salad w/fat free dressing on it, then about a half cup fat free sorbet for dinner. The the bad.... munchies kick in around 8 p.m. so I've been trying a little natural peanut butter on one or two Wasa crackers, or a couple handfulls of those pretzel sticks that are nearly fat free.

For years I weighed 157 or so. But the weight I've put on is right in my abdomen and I can't stand it. I've cut all beer out and only allow myself wine on Friday and Saturday evening, so I don't think I'm drinking enough to put on a "beer belly". I don't get it. I eat no fast food, no fried food. I excercise, and often go to bed hungry.
First thing I noticed was that you have a lot of sugar in your diet. Granted some of it is natural sugar, but it's still a lot of sugar.

Try having just one fruit a day and sub the rest of them with veggies. Baby carrots, sugar snap peas, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, pepper strips...etc.

I would say you need a bit more protein as well. If the Veggie burgers are made my morning star you are only getting about 20gms of protein with that meal. The egg white would add about 5gms of protein (being generous) and turkey link about 4.5gms (Jimmy Dean Turkey links have 13gms per 3 links). Your nuts have about 7-10gms. So you are looking at a total intake of about 40gms from lean protein sources. You should have roughly 60gms a day in your diet. Upping the protein may keep the munchies away and you won't be going to bed hungry.

Old 04-05-2011, 01:24 PM

541 posts, read 1,902,676 times
Ab workouts won't prevent a gut (ie you can't isolate fat loss). I suggest that you need to change your routine. If you have kept the same routine for years, then you are more than due for a change. There is also a good chance you aren't pushing yourself anymore. You have become comfortable with what workouts you're doing and haven't felt the need to push harder. Start adding more weight to your strength exercices and increase your speed and/or distance on the cardio.

Old 04-05-2011, 01:34 PM

665 posts, read 1,728,305 times
Toned and tight Abdominal muscles WILL keep all of those intestines from sticking out over your belt.

Sometimes men aren't fat at all, just "relaxed".

Do lots of sittups and don't eat foods that make you feel bloated.

It just may work.

Old 04-05-2011, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post
First thing I noticed was that you have a lot of sugar in your diet. Granted some of it is natural sugar, but it's still a lot of sugar.

Try having just one fruit a day and sub the rest of them with veggies. Baby carrots, sugar snap peas, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, pepper strips...etc.

I would say you need a bit more protein as well. If the Veggie burgers are made my morning star you are only getting about 20gms of protein with that meal. The egg white would add about 5gms of protein (being generous) and turkey link about 4.5gms (Jimmy Dean Turkey links have 13gms per 3 links). Your nuts have about 7-10gms. So you are looking at a total intake of about 40gms from lean protein sources. You should have roughly 60gms a day in your diet. Upping the protein may keep the munchies away and you won't be going to bed hungry.
Thanks... great suggestions. I've considered that I don't get enough protein, especially since I'm not much of a meat eater. I do try to incorporate black beans and other beans as much as possible. As for the sugar, I've always had a sweet tooth, so I'm using a lot of restraint on sugar!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness