Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does putting on muscle make you REALLY tired?
Yes 13 34.21%
No 14 36.84%
Sometimes 9 23.68%
Other - share below 2 5.26%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 05:01 PM

1,846 posts, read 3,941,362 times

Advertisements

One thing I love about a hard workout at the gym, is that I sleep like a rock that night.

I get a little tired in a good way after a workout - - I am not "all wound up" and I am relaxed. I don't think this is nutritional (for me), so much as moving from a position of mental activity and excess nervous energy, to one of physical exertion followed by both physical and mental relaxation. I might take a ten minute nap, and I might go to bed an hour early.

If my body is telling me that I need more calories after a workout, I will eat a little extra. Other times I don't really feel the need for extra food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 05:21 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,481,425 times
A diverse diet really is key. There are 20 amino acids, and a given food will provide some and not others.

I am on a similar sort of diets. I only eat a few (>6 oz) ounces of carbs in bread/pasta form, supplemented by some vegetables, PLENTY of fruit, a variety of meat. Today, I had chicken and lamb. Tomorrow, I will eat fish and beef. I try and listen to what my body tells me. I ate those meats because I felt like them. However, I have a craving now for fish (sea bass or salmon) and a good steak. Call me old fashioned, but sometimes, we should listen to what our bodies tell us.

Old 04-14-2011, 06:59 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,551,670 times
Everyone is different. Workouts in general make my DH sleepy -- he usually naps. They make me hungry. It's all I can do not to eat all the calories I burned and more. If I keep my mouth shut, or drink hot tea, I am fine after about 30 minutes.

The important thing is to keep working out. Your body will adapt to the work, and you will be healthier and have a better life quality as a result.

Old 06-14-2012, 06:51 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,713,966 times
Update:

Well this is old but it got a rep so I am doing a follow up.

Currently eating by generally the same basic rules but made some changes. My protein mix now though is: fish, beef and vegan sources
This gave me a boost. I eat red meat more often than 1x a week but have the genetic inclination to go slightly anemic easily during the special time. LOL...Mother has it too. Eating more fish and vegan protein sources naturally balanced out my excess fat intake, increased carbs.

I also noticed my energy improved when I was consistent about follow up feeding post workout. If I was feeling lazy I would not always eat right after. I just didn't feel that hungry or want it.

So I kept doing that and my weight dropped (110-115) and I got leaner. I actually have less of an output now but I have increased my calorie range to 1700-2000 after the weight drop and got another boost in energy.

It makes me wonder if this is what it feels like when you body keeps resetting its "set weight point" or whatever.

This is how my body was in HS. My anti-fit phase was about 7 years? Started "diets" at that time but have been more serious (informed not fads) within the past 7 years of my 10 year attempt. I forget all the exact details at this point as it was so long ago. I only remember it partially because of moving around and I have to backtrack..remembering what exercise crap I had in the apt at the time. LOl

I just wanted to share
as I found it interesting it took the same amount of years to get back to my old metabolism/weight/whatever as it did to get out of it.

I had started skipping post follow up and felt like crap.

I know my needs now are:
-athletic protein levels
-protein mix: beef (2-3x), fish(1-2x), vegan (2-4x) a week
-always follow up with a protein, carb mix snack
-higher calorie needs

Before last year upping my calories upped my weight too. So I did the wean thing again.
Some days I am over 2000. No gains though this round. Just pulled my weight up from that way too low 110. Seem to be holding a steady 114-115 and only putting about 3lbs of hormone weight on.

JC...this took FOREVER.
LOL

Old 06-14-2012, 04:01 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
I find that my body is pretty sensitive to the nutrients. Tiredness is generally a sign I am not getting enough iron or B vitamins. I supplement both (I am anemic and hypothyroid, so my vitamin absorption is completely out of whack). I also supplement vitamin D (no one chime in about the BS of getting more sun. That advice is for white people, if you are darker, it takes a lot of sun, and African-Americans are typically way under on Vitamin D). Those are the magic 3 vitamins for me and my energy level. So much so, that I feel a little boost after I take them.

And I agree about the protein. If I am not getting enough, I get tired. I shoot for 100 grams. The very last thing for me, I also get extra tired if I am not eating enough fat. The magic number for me is about 20%. Any lower than 20% and I feel crappy. I generally get my fats from avocados, nuts, olive oil and salmon. (I usually eat leaner cuts of beef, pork, chicken, and low fat dairy so they don't contribute much fat.)

Old 06-14-2012, 04:39 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times
I am a complete insomniac unless I work out. I work out about 4-5 days per week and I do not sleep on the days I don't work out. Another thing is that without sleep your muscles cannot rebuild themselves. You have to make sure you get the proper amount of sleep and eat well or your workouts are flat out useless.

Old 06-17-2012, 12:10 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
No.
Lifting weights has never made me sleepy tired.
In fact, I have to be careful never work out around bed time because it wakes me up so much (cardio or weights).

Old 06-17-2012, 12:18 AM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Does putting on muscle make you REALLY tired?

Was it the protein? Because this week I feel slightly more clear headed.

Currently not working out on a regular basis as I just got over being sick and am working on a new plan.
The protein's important.

Old 06-17-2012, 06:59 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,713,966 times
Oh yeh..forgot to ad:

- started UV exposure for D
- work week went from 60+ to 40 without "on call" sleep interruptions

Old 06-20-2012, 08:56 AM

2,765 posts, read 3,630,321 times
You could be slightly sleep deprived, I have the same problem and when I get a good night sleep I can tell the difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness