Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does putting on muscle make you REALLY tired?
Yes 13 34.21%
No 14 36.84%
Sometimes 9 23.68%
Other - share below 2 5.26%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 12:37 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,708,086 times

Advertisements

Does putting on muscle make you REALLY tired?

Every time I try to gain more strength I get SO tired and sore. I expect the soreness and thats fine. but this sleepy feeling is KILLING me and presents the problem of activating my lazy bones into skipping workouts.

Any tips to wash this extremely sleepy feeling away? Its a whole body and mind tired and not just the sleepy feeling I would get after cardio where your head is clear and your body is relaxed.

I already:
- cut my caffeine to 300mgs or less a day
- upped my protein (just this week as it was a little low before (reg dietary guidelines, not athletic guidelines)
- upped my calories from 1200-1500 to 1500-2000 (115-125lbs)

Was it the protein? Because this week I feel slightly more clear headed.

Currently not working out on a regular basis as I just got over being sick and am working on a new plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 12:45 PM

541 posts, read 1,902,350 times
If you are trying to gain muscle and strength, then yes you need increase your calories. You are feeling sleepy because lifting weights exerts a lot of energy not just in the gym, but afterwards during the rebuilding phase. Your body is working over time to repair your torn muscles (muscles tear when you workout). One doesn't feel as tired after cardio mostly because cardio really only burns calories during the workout and the immediate period afterward. Strength training continues to burn calories well after the workout is finished due to the repair required as mentioned above.

Also are you getting enough sleep? Sleep is a big portion of gaining muscle. If you are lifting more weights, then you need more sleep.

Old 04-13-2011, 12:49 PM

2,406 posts, read 7,900,448 times
I have never been tired due to putting on muscle. However, you mentioned that you had to up your protein to normal dietary guidelines (not athletic). That means your intake was pretty low before, and I suspect it was high in carbs as well. I know that back when I ate too many carbs when I was younger it made my sugar levels yoyo and I felt tired alot. So I wonder if this has something to do with it.

Old 04-13-2011, 01:25 PM

Interesting. I need a lot of sleep period. I just have always been that way so to sleep more than what I usually do 7-10 hrs is just a lot of time spent asleep. LOL. Now it usually seems I need the 10 hours.

Protein intake was around 10% under usually and my carb intake was 5-10% too high or my fat was 5-10% too high.

I do try to eat something every 4 hours or so and I do know that low sugar feeling but its not that.

My hair growth slowed a bit too.
(i do take a multivitamin and calcium)

Can you need more protein when you are leaner? My higher fat body seemed fine with the old ratio.

Old 04-13-2011, 01:45 PM

541 posts, read 1,902,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Interesting. I need a lot of sleep period. I just have always been that way so to sleep more than what I usually do 7-10 hrs is just a lot of time spent asleep. LOL. Now it usually seems I need the 10 hours.

Protein intake was around 10% under usually and my carb intake was 5-10% too high or my fat was 5-10% too high.

I do try to eat something every 4 hours or so and I do know that low sugar feeling but its not that.

My hair growth slowed a bit too.
(i do take a multivitamin and calcium)

Can you need more protein when you are leaner? My higher fat body seemed fine with the old ratio.

If you are getting 7-10 hours of sleep then you are getting enough sleep. I think it really comes down to a calorie issue. You need lots of protein. Protein is a key building block in building muscle. You really shouldn't be feeling groggy all day. Perhaps increase your fat intake some as well.

Old 04-13-2011, 01:50 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
food = energy

just need to find the right balance so you dont become a chunky monkey.

Old 04-13-2011, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
food = energy

just need to find the right balance so you dont become a chunky monkey.
Ugh...I know right?!LOL

Its difficult as a female because of natural water weight changes and I always wonder if its hormones or too many calories (water weight waiting to turn into fat...lol)

Old 04-13-2011, 02:15 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
Ugh...I know right?!LOL

Its difficult as a female because of natural water weight changes and I always wonder if its hormones or too many calories (water weight waiting to turn into fat...lol)
when i didnt have the right size breakfast figured out, there were some days i would eat too little and be starving. so i went to mcdonalds and had a mcgriddle with hash browns and coffee. i felt so strong when i did those workouts during my lunch hour. but it wasnt helping me cut up at all.

you are better off looking at the mirror than the scale. thats all that really matters.

Old 04-13-2011, 03:03 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,945,093 times
Quote:
Does putting on muscle make you REALLY tired?
No. Putting on muscle does NOT make you tired. Its poor nutrition (i.e., malnourishment) is what makes you tired.

Try tweaking your nutrition intake.

Old 04-13-2011, 03:32 PM

Im working on it. I need to make a nutrient dense food list and eat more fish for my lean protein. Just off the top of my head that is something I know would make me feel better reflecting on the past. I felt really good when I was eating fish 2x a week. I usually only have chicken and occasional beef. Maybe I should look into taking an EFA supplement while I improve my food habits?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness