Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 10:31 AM

3,360 posts, read 8,393,356 times

Advertisements

I first read extensively about Insanity on this Forum and decided to buy it.

First, a little background: I am female, in my 40's, 5'9, 132 pounds. Primarily I've been a runner all my life, logging 50-60 miles a week for decades. I also use the Stairmaster and Elliptical trainer for an hour a day when I don't run. My main passion is extreme hikes, with big elevation gains and high mileages. I do the Grand Canyon rim-to-rim-to-rim a couple times every year, which is 48 miles in a day. In the summer, I usually hike 50 miles in a weekend in Yosemite or the Sierras. I run to keep in shape for hiking.

Now... Insanity!

I've been using it one week and there's no doubt this is a tough workout. I thought I was in good shape, but Insanity has proven I am not particularly strong in the upper body. The push ups and jumping shred me. Anything I do with the lower body is not difficult, but the upper body stuff is a challenge. I think Shaun does a good job and he's an excellent motivator. I hope my form improves with practice because it's ragged right now as a newbie.

Does anyone else here use Insanity regularly? Did you see big improvements? Thanks in advance to all who recommended it here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2011, 05:58 PM

1,047 posts, read 3,990,886 times
I used it through the winter last year. It was absolutely a difficult workout! I am also a runner and I felt so strong and fit when I was able to get back outside and run. I felt it really enhanced my running. i use it now as a filler or a cross training day. Love it! It was great for upper body and abs!

Old 05-14-2011, 07:50 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,022,530 times
The second half is more challenging than the first month. The exercise routines are longer.
Right now, I'm doing a hybrid using P90X and Insanity. It makes for a good program since half the time you're using weights.
After that, I'm probably going to pick up the latest in the Insanity series, which uses weights as well.

Old 05-17-2011, 10:58 AM

295 posts, read 1,450,872 times
Pretty much nobody is in the shape required to keep up with the Insanity, P90X, Crossfit, or some Boot Camp workouts - unless you have been doing them for a while (years), or are a professional athlete. The combination of endurance and strength is something that most people ignore, yet is the most honest test of "fitness". Most people are too wrapped up in the numbers on the scale, as opposed to the proportion and shape of their bodies.
If you combine this type of workout with a good diet plan (Zone, South Beach, etc.), you will achieve the best physique and fitness level your genetics will allow.

Old 05-17-2011, 01:05 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,393,356 times
Gumby, I tend to agree. Insanity really has impressed me with the difficulty. The thing is, I can't imagine any "average" person off the street who doesn't exercise A LOT possibly doing this straight off the bat!??

Old 05-17-2011, 03:31 PM

295 posts, read 1,450,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
Gumby, I tend to agree. Insanity really has impressed me with the difficulty. The thing is, I can't imagine any "average" person off the street who doesn't exercise A LOT possibly doing this straight off the bat!??
The best thing about Insanity and P90X is that you can do them in the privacy of your own home, and cheat on them as much as you want to. It allows you to work your way up to being able to keep up. That is, if you have the dedication and desire. I know many people who quit on P90X and Crossfit because it was too hard to keep up.

Old 05-18-2011, 10:28 AM

1,639 posts, read 4,709,241 times
Has anyone tried modifying the P90X or Insanity schedule by doing it two or three days a week? I would like to try one of them but I don't think I can commit to the program 5-6 days a week since I still want to play hockey and go for a couple runs each week.

Is this possible or am I setting myself up for failure? I'm in better shape than the average Joe but I'm also not going to be doing a triathalon any time soon.

Old 05-18-2011, 12:16 PM

3,010 posts, read 6,310,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbyfly View Post
The best thing about Insanity and P90X is that you can do them in the privacy of your own home, and cheat on them as much as you want to. It allows you to work your way up to being able to keep up. That is, if you have the dedication and desire. I know many people who quit on P90X and Crossfit because it was too hard to keep up.
I think more people bite off more than they can chew with many of these programs and simply get overwhelmed. Ultimately, it's best to do what one can, then work up as time goes on.

True. With the P90x, at least at home you can modify the workout to your fitness level in the privacy of your own gym, garge, etc.

With Crossfit, there is that pressure in the group setting not to quit or use reduced weights even if one is not up to the level in terms of strength and endurance.

Old 05-18-2011, 12:19 PM

3,010 posts, read 6,310,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckingbronco View Post
Has anyone tried modifying the P90X or Insanity schedule by doing it two or three days a week? I would like to try one of them but I don't think I can commit to the program 5-6 days a week since I still want to play hockey and go for a couple runs each week.

Is this possible or am I setting myself up for failure? I'm in better shape than the average Joe but I'm also not going to be doing a triathalon any time soon.
Absolutely. IMO, your are better off doing a reduced or modified version of either workout. You will set yourself up for failure/injury by overtraining than not doing enough. Just my thoughts.

Old 05-19-2011, 03:14 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,395,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil3 View Post
...With Crossfit, there is that pressure in the group setting not to quit or use reduced weights even if one is not up to the level in terms of strength and endurance.

I have not experienced that at all with regards to any of the 3 CrossFit gyms I've been to (NC, VA and MO). Pressure not to quit, certainly - encouragement to push yourself is a big benefit to working out in ANY group setting. I've never seen anyone pressured *not* to scale the excercises in accordance to their ability, however.

That is one of the very best things about CrossFit, IMO - the ease of scaling any of the routines to fit the individual abilities.

I've done 3 workouts this week and I've scaled something in each one (hand-stand push-ups are the bane of my existence) and haven't been pressured in any way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness