Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 01:27 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times

Advertisements

Also take into account that although you can blast fat and tone muscle, some body shape stuff is just how you are made. If you have large thighs, you're likely gonna have large thighs, be they jiggly large thighs, or large thighs with toned muscle definition. Don't know if it's the case with you, but a lot of people pine for body types they simply don't have. All the wishing for a slim-hipped, boyish figure isn't going to decrease the span of my pelvic bones, for instance. But I can make sure I don't carry extra fat on my hips. Isn't gonna keep 'em from being wide, though. Just how I'm built. Be as fit as you can, of course, but also make sure you can accept what you've got, genetically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 01:30 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,010,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Also take into account that although you can blast fat and tone muscle, some body shape stuff is just how you are made.
Excellent point.

When asked how I keep my unusually well-formed legs in shape I am forced to admit it is 95% genetics; and 5% me just enhancing what I was given.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:21 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,708,086 times
p.s. I would not do heavy weights on squats if any at all and just say no to sprinting. Both can increase muscle bulk. If you really hate thick thighs you want to avoid that.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:48 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,368,692 times
Where did the OP say anything about thick thighs? Plus, sprints aren't going to build much muscle mass by themselves. The sprinters you see on TV got that big by doing LOTS of resistance work and heavy weight.

Old 06-01-2011, 10:04 AM

They wanted to get rid of thigh mass as stated in the OP. Sprinting does build muscle. Of course you won't look like an Olympic athlete unless you train like one. But the point stands that using a muscle in short bursts and with weight will increase the muscle mass. It does much more than "tone" and could easily give an inch you don't want. An extra inch is a lot if you are a smaller person.

Old 06-01-2011, 10:26 AM

3,360 posts, read 8,386,514 times
You can do all the exercise you want, but losing weight (even if it's only 3-4 pounds) will do it, assuming that's all you need to lose. An overweight person can do 1,000 crunches and with excess weight, it will make no difference.

Old 06-01-2011, 10:40 AM

2,501 posts, read 3,647,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
You can do all the exercise you want, but losing weight (even if it's only 3-4 pounds) will do it, assuming that's all you need to lose. An overweight person can do 1,000 crunches and with excess weight, it will make no difference.
I dint really need to lose weight. I just need to tone myself in those two areas. My thighs are just a little jiggly. Lol

Old 06-01-2011, 11:32 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,010,695 times
I concur that sprinting will indeed tone your legs and not bulk them up too much, even if you do hill sprinting. Sprinting's main objective is to burn fat in a huge hurry, which it does exceedingly well.

Squats, on the other hand, will build leg muscle with minimal effort. If you have never done them before, try doing just 100 today and you will discover upper-thigh muscles you never knew you had by Friday (and will probably be too sore to do any more until about the middle of next week).

Old 06-01-2011, 12:31 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,368,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
They wanted to get rid of thigh mass as stated in the OP. Sprinting does build muscle. Of course you won't look like an Olympic athlete unless you train like one. But the point stands that using a muscle in short bursts and with weight will increase the muscle mass. It does much more than "tone" and could easily give an inch you don't want. An extra inch is a lot if you are a smaller person.
Sorry, I missed that part in the OP. I just saw the bit about the "muffin top" and not liking her hips in dresses.

I never said sprinting won't build muscle, I said it won't build *much* muscle - and I stand by that. Running sprints is not going to add any appreciable mass to her thighs and no way will it add an inch to thigh circumference.

Old 06-01-2011, 01:33 PM

You can't know how much mass it will build without knowing how fit the person is and actually doing it and seeing what your results are. She could have more type 2 muscle that will bulk easily. A trainer would review and adjust to fit the goals. I am just adding my two cents so she can watch for that issue. And if you want to burn fat alone, speed of getting it off is not what you should shoot for either. The best method is low intensity long workouts. Low intensity burns more fat % per calorie burned and is easier to do. The best method for that is daily 60 minutes of low intensity cardio combined with a calorie intake of BMR-under 200 of daily needs. The carb/protein/fat intake can be adjusted to the individuals sensitivity to carbs/protein/fat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness