Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2012, 06:43 PM

366 posts, read 775,858 times

Advertisements

"Go ahead and have a nice afternoon with your friends, hon. I'll watch the baby and we'll just run a few errands together. Everything is cool."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 07:35 PM

14,569 posts, read 23,102,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolobo13 View Post
That second pic scares me. Is it for real?
No ****! Seriously, who in their right mind could possibly think that was a good idea?

Old 01-18-2012, 07:43 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,373,867 times
Yeah, fair play - that shouldn't be a blow to CROSSFIT. Just... to whatever man that is doing that.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:02 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,835,739 times
That guy in the pic is a moron.

Old 01-19-2012, 12:41 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,934,528 times
Thought I'd share another perspective on CF, from probably my favorite fitness writer. Basically this woman tests different workouts with her buddies and posts her results at the end of a month:
June’s Great CrossFit Experiment [For real this time] | The Great Fitness Experiment
My Embarrassing CrossFit Experiment Results! [Plus July's Great Fitness Experiment] | The Great Fitness Experiment

Quote:
Our verdict? CrossFit is one of the most intense and effective workouts we’ve tried. And doing it in a CrossFit gym makes it even more intense and effective. There’s a reason we keep coming back to CrossFit periodically. Of course there’s also a reason why we don’t stick with it – and not just because we’re workout ADHD – it’s tough on your body to do it for long periods of time.

Old 01-19-2012, 03:38 AM

2,117 posts, read 5,373,867 times
I don't take serious the advice from someone that squats in running shoes.

Quote:

* Charlotte is a self-professed overexerciser. Charlotte writes candidly about her lifelong problem with exercising too much. When she described how she views exercise as "fun" and something she'd do up to 4 or 5 hours a day, I realized that we were not coming from the same place. If this is a woman who regularly lifts weights and does 45-minutes of cardio each day at a minimum, how can I trust her assessment of a workout? (After all, I'm out of shape and starting virtually from scratch as far as exercising so her take on a workout and my take on a workout would be like comparing apples to oranges.) When she writes that a particular workout pushed her to the point of seeing stars and vomiting, that was enough to convince me that I could not even CONSIDER that particular program. Once I realized where she was coming from, it occurred to me that perhaps none of these programs were feasible for me. Once I realized this, I started reading more for entertainment purposes and less for information.

* Writing about the workouts without proper training or equipment. Several times, Charlotte says that she "modified" the program to fit her needs or didn't learn proper techniques. In fact, for the HIIT experiment, she misread the intervals and did the workout wrong for the entire month. She also evaluates a workout that uses a special type of slider thing without buying the actual sliders and ends up using plastic plates instead. Although this makes for some funny writing, it did make me question how effective these experiments were if she wasn't doing them as designed.

Old 01-19-2012, 08:55 AM

28,343 posts, read 16,420,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommodonahue View Post
Yeah, fair play - that shouldn't be a blow to CROSSFIT. Just... to whatever man that is doing that.

Bingo. Stupid people are everywhere and CrossFit gyms are no exception.

Old 01-19-2012, 08:59 AM

28,343 posts, read 16,420,843 times
"...it’s tough on your body to do it for long periods of time."

I know lots of people that have been regularly doing CrossFit workouts for more than a year, several for more than 2 years, who would disagree with that statement. Not all of them are 20-something studs, either - in fact most of them are NOT.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommodonahue View Post
I don't take serious the advice from someone that squats in running shoes.
I like a real person's perspectives on things. Again, she isn't claiming to tell you how to train, lose weight whatever. Her goal: was the workout fun? Did it give results? Can a normal person do it? Should I try it? And to make it a little less intimidating. If she is willing to embarrass herself on her blog trying a new workout, you can too.

And frankly, most of us are "normal" people. A former elite NCAA divison 1 athlete's or fitness model's take on an exercise program doesn't really help me much.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
"...it’s tough on your body to do it for long periods of time."

I know lots of people that have been regularly doing CrossFit workouts for more than a year, several for more than 2 years, who would disagree with that statement. Not all of them are 20-something studs, either - in fact most of them are NOT.
I think those people likely enjoy working out intensely. Not everyone does. You know how some people are like "Woohoo, my legs are sore from my new personal record on deadlifts yesterday, I feel great."

Other people think "Ugh, I hate working out, I am always sore."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness