Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 10:08 PM

395 posts, read 1,540,515 times

Advertisements

Well it has been about one year and I have gone from 237 down to just over 200. I had hoped to have lost more by now but I am more than okay with it. I bought a house in March and had to take a hiatus from the gym while I did all the things one needs to do when they move to a new place.

I always try hit the YMCA four or five evinings a week. I do an hour on the elliptical and I try to allow time to do the muscle building machines (leg presses, seated leg curl ect) 3x per week. I am thinking seriously about cutting that part out and doing a toning routine at home. I have an excericise ball that I bought monthes ago but was too heavy to use at the time. If I can just find the poster that illustrates the excercises I will have something visual that i can continually look at while I work out until I learn the moves.

I think that one of the reasons that I have been able to keep this up is because I allow for flexability. If I have a meeting to go to in the evening (once a month for autism support) or if I have an after work doctors appointment that runs late I will skip the workout for one night. I also find that if I keep myself busy in the evenings by excercising then I am not tempted to eat high calorie snacks.

I still enjoy the occasional burger and fries or an asian buffet but WAY LESS often than before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2011, 08:29 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,650,771 times
Allow me to be the first to congratulate you, give you a high 5 and a nice squeezie hug. Don't quit. Soon as you start buying new cloths to fit into, you will be motivated even more to work harder at it. Then when more and more compliments come your way, this will motivate you even more to work even harder. Success keeps on snowballing. Then when you reach your goal and people tell you how young you look for your age you can blush and be proud!!!

But during your journey don't ever forget to give encouragement to others trying to find the same path as you.

Old 06-19-2011, 01:12 PM

295 posts, read 1,450,112 times
Congrats...

Here is the poster for sale:
Amazon.com: Fitness Wholesale FLE100 Strength Training on Core Stability Ball Poster: Sports & Outdoors (http://www.amazon.com/Fitness-Wholesale-Strength-Training-Stability/dp/B0052Y4136 - broken link)

Old 06-19-2011, 01:19 PM

17,366 posts, read 16,505,917 times
Congratulations - not only for the weight you've lost but for sticking with your weight loss plan for a year! Happy anniversary .

Old 06-19-2011, 02:30 PM

7,169 posts, read 9,224,263 times
Yes, congratulations. Keep it up.

Old 06-19-2011, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Allow me to be the first to congratulate you, give you a high 5 and a nice squeezie hug. Don't quit. Soon as you start buying new cloths to fit into, you will be motivated even more to work harder at it. Then when more and more compliments come your way, this will motivate you even more to work even harder. Success keeps on snowballing. Then when you reach your goal and people tell you how young you look for your age you can blush and be proud!!!

But during your journey don't ever forget to give encouragement to others trying to find the same path as you.
Thanks! I have already went from a size 22w to a 16w. I have always looked young as an adult. Even last year at my heaviest when I was thirty-nine people thought I was around twenty-nine or thirty. My husband says I look younger now.

Old 06-19-2011, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbyfly View Post
Congrats...

Here is the poster for sale:
Amazon.com: Fitness Wholesale FLE100 Strength Training on Core Stability Ball Poster: Sports & Outdoors (http://www.amazon.com/Fitness-Wholesale-Strength-Training-Stability/dp/B0052Y4136 - broken link)
Thank you! I guess my original poster got lost when we moved to our new house.

Old 06-20-2011, 02:02 AM

5,816 posts, read 15,911,411 times
Great work, FloridaMom!

You seem to be doing several things the right way. The first point you made that jumped out at me was that you have lost less weight than you had hoped to by this time, but are still pleased with the results. Fitness is about long-term changes in habits related to food and physical activity. People who want to quickly whip themselves into shape all too often have a short-term view, and end up giving up exercise after a while and falling right back into their old habits, and their previous poor level of fitness. Your weight loss is significant. You've made real progress. The fact that you appreciate this and are taking a positive view of your accomplishments shows that you have the long-term view that's best to take with exercise.

I'm also impressed by what you said about being flexible with exercise. This is a tricky issue, because there is the potential for someone who's not really diligent about exercise to find excuses for being too busy to work out today, and then the next day, and the day after that, and so on, but as long as the overall diligence toward working out is there, it shows a balanced approach to life if someone is okay with missing the occasional workout when things really do get busy. Your results show that you are not just making excuses, but are using a truly balanced approach.

It sounds as if you are a great example for anyone wanting to make improvements in fitness. Congratulations, and happy anniversary.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:25 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,274,604 times
Congratulations! That is excellent progress.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:31 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,933,539 times
Congrats, Floridamom! Is there a particular food program/diet (hesitate to type that word, but it fits) that you've found helpful?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness