Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 09:53 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,867,959 times

Advertisements

I have often encountered steep and dangerous sections while hiking. I wonder why there is no type of "helmet" for a hiker.

Has anyone heard of any kind of head protection in this regard? Do you think something like this is needed?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2011, 10:25 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,232,965 times
I've heard of climbers wearing helmets. Hikers no. I wear a hat if I'm going to be out in the sun a lot. That's about it for me.

Old 07-03-2011, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolobo13 View Post
I've heard of climbers wearing helmets. Hikers no. I wear a hat if I'm going to be out in the sun a lot. That's about it for me.
My concern is for walking downhill on steep and slippery sections. I would worry about getting knocked unconscious. I try to go downhill in places where the descending angle is more gradual and mild, but that's not always possible.

I have a friend who went hiking with someone who got a concussion. But they were with a group. I'd be worried about being alone and not able to call for help. I am certain that head injuries are probably common, are they not?

Old 07-04-2011, 08:26 AM

295 posts, read 1,450,498 times
There is a handful of hiking / climbing equipment that could help you. Helmets, ropes, cleated footwear... All designed to help you navigate and survive tricky terrain.

The helmets look like skateboarding helmets, and can be found at hiking outlets like REI.

Old 07-04-2011, 02:19 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,662,314 times
When you're hiking why would you want to wear restrictions? You are out in nature man. I commend you on your attempt to be safe but sometimes all those restrictions are just nonsense. I won't wear one of those silly fruity helmets they make for bikes either. More communist practice with big govt telling the peasants what we can and can't do under the guise of them protecting us.

You shouldn't go hiking alone anyway. Bring some basic first aid and be in tip top physical condition to minimize accidents. And keep up the good work. Your body and mind will thank you when you are older

Old 07-04-2011, 02:33 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
A person of normal agility and coordination ought to be able to fall safely and protect the head, when walking in terrain where that is a risk. If walking where that is not a visible and obvious underfoot risk, your chances of falling are the same as in the mall parking lot, where you would probably not perceive a need to wear a helmet.

If really concerned, get a few of those long balloons that party clowns make animals with. If you think you are in a situation where you need head protection against a mishap, get one out and blow it up and wrap it around your head.

Old 07-04-2011, 03:05 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,832,803 times
Use of hiking poles is the best way to keep from falling on steep and precarious terrain.

Old 07-05-2011, 08:13 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,232,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
My concern is for walking downhill on steep and slippery sections. I would worry about getting knocked unconscious. I try to go downhill in places where the descending angle is more gradual and mild, but that's not always possible.

I have a friend who went hiking with someone who got a concussion. But they were with a group. I'd be worried about being alone and not able to call for help. I am certain that head injuries are probably common, are they not?
As far as I know, head injuries aren't that common in hiking. More common injuries I've seen are leg and feet injuries, heat exhaustion, and strained muscles. I'm not planning on wearing a helmet while hiking anytime soon. Rock climbing might be different.

I go slowly downhill. More so than when younger. I guess that makes me an old "fuddie-duddie". The thing I try to keep in mind when worrying about falling is to be prepared to land on my backside so as not to go tumbling down the slope.

Old 07-05-2011, 11:30 AM

1,367 posts, read 5,741,337 times
I second the recommendation of using hiking/trekking poles. Go to your local outdoor store or REI, they will show you the different types, how to adjust them, and how to use them.

Using poles takes a lot of the weight off your joints, gives you extra balance points to prevent falls, and in case you do start to fall give you something to catch yourself. Some people also find that they help with endurance, as when you use them you're less likely to hunch over and more likely to have good posture & breathing.

Old 07-05-2011, 08:53 PM

I will try the trekking poles. Thanks for the suggestion.

But even with those, it seems like you could still have an accident. I don't know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness