Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 12:47 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,914,797 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

I started lifting weights regularly about 2 months ago. I've noticed a huge difference in my max lifts using free weights vs the machine. It can't all be explained by stabilizer muscles...there's about 40 lb difference in my max!

I don't know the name of the machine but it has an actual bench (not a Smith machine) so I'm lying down.

Anyone experience the same thing? Is there a standard difference between free weights and machines? I only use the machine when I'm there alone but it has me really curious...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 12:55 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,948,991 times
Could be the bar. The bar weighs 45 pounds by itself. If you are on a "machine" like the Hammer Strength, you are basically just lifting the weight (i.e., 4 45 pound plates) where if you were lifting the same 4 plates on a bar, you have to add in the 45 pounds that the bar weighs.

Its a common mistake not including the weight of the bar.

Old 07-07-2011, 01:09 PM

That's not it, I'm counting 45lbs for the bar-it's Olympic style.

Old 07-07-2011, 01:54 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,770,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
That's not it, I'm counting 45lbs for the bar-it's Olympic style.
Oh, you mean you can push more weight with free weights than with the machines?

What kind of machines are you talking about? Are these cable-weight machines or stacked-plate machines?

Last edited by jimboburnsy; 07-07-2011 at 02:04 PM..

Old 07-07-2011, 02:24 PM

7,167 posts, read 9,221,440 times
I'm not sure, but with the machines, you're usually using pulleys or a lever to move the weights. The actual numbers listed on the plates are probably correct, but using a machine to move them is different than picking up a free weight.

The important thing is not the number but the work you put into it. Comparing them by the numbers is like comparing apples and oranges. You just have to adjust for each as you do them.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:58 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,535,116 times
I don't think you can ever fully trust what the actual weights say on the machines. If you're going to use them -- which a lot of people are against, but, meh, I use them -- just stay consistent with the machines, their weights, and track what you're lifting. Don't worry so much about the exact number. Worry more that you're progressing at all.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:50 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,450,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
Hey everyone,

I started lifting weights regularly about 2 months ago. I've noticed a huge difference in my max lifts using free weights vs the machine. It can't all be explained by stabilizer muscles...there's about 40 lb difference in my max!

I don't know the name of the machine but it has an actual bench (not a Smith machine) so I'm lying down.

Anyone experience the same thing? Is there a standard difference between free weights and machines? I only use the machine when I'm there alone but it has me really curious...
I notice that I can bench more with the bar than the machines where you can push each side independently. My "stronger" side can't compensate for my "weaker" side on the machine.

Old 07-08-2011, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Oh, you mean you can push more weight with free weights than with the machines?

What kind of machines are you talking about? Are these cable-weight machines or stacked-plate machines?
Nah it's the opposite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
I notice that I can bench more with the bar than the machines where you can push each side independently. My "stronger" side can't compensate for my "weaker" side on the machine.
Interesting, that makes some sense. The machine I'm using is actually connected so my strong side can completely compensate. But on the bench I've got to push it straight up and have both side contributing a lot.

The other comments about not trusting the machines are true, but I was hoping there was some formula that could explain the difference. I suppose they're just unpredictable.

It wouldn't be so odd to have a 40lb difference if my max was 300 lbs! I'm actually not sure what my max is at this point but I can generally do about 5 reps of 180 with the machine or 135 on the actual bench.

Old 07-08-2011, 11:12 AM

165 posts, read 405,704 times
The machines have so much variability with the pulleys / levers / etc. In my gym, we have 2 tricep pushdown machines within 10' of each other. On one, I can max out at 120 lbs. On the other I am able to use the entire stack at 190 lbs. As others said, just keep track of the plate you are using on a given machine and try to increase the weight or the reps on every workout.

Old 07-13-2011, 11:08 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,660,117 times
Your max is always based one what you can bench press with free weights, not a machine.
Your scenrio is typical of everyone I have ever met.. they can all bench 300lbs on a machine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness