Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 05:55 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,858,678 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a smaller, portable exercise machine and am considering a manual treadmill but I'm not so sure about them. We used to have an electric and an eliptical before a move and now I just don't have room for anything heavy or large. Any experience with a manual would be appreciated! Are they horrible to use?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2011, 06:15 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
Ive used both. The one major issue I recall with a manual treadmill is that you cannot run on them freely.

Old 07-31-2011, 06:52 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,480,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Ive used both. The one major issue I recall with a manual treadmill is that you cannot run on them freely.

you can get a small, electric treadmill that folds up for a couple of hundred dollars.

Old 07-31-2011, 06:59 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,389,075 times
I just bought a Weslo manual treadmill from Walmart about a month ago. I think it is great but I will tell you the pros and cons.

Pros-
I get a good workout on the first incline. I started out doing 20 minutes of walking and I am now doing 1 hour per day.

It is light weight. Wheels would be nice but I can still pick it up and move it without any trouble.

Easy to use. I bought a lubricant made for treadmills and spray some on each week. Just get on and start walking.

I think it is a better workout then an electric treadmill.

Cons-
It is loud.

You do need to hold on to the handles. If you just plan on walking it is great. I'm not so sure about running on it.

You will pretty much keep a steady pace....no real interval training if that's what you want.

My display broke after a week...but irrelevant to the treadmill itself.

You do have to start it yourself with leg power unlike an electric one that is "on" but that is a good thing

Overall...It is much better than I expected and I am very happy with it. I have lost 10 pounds in the last few weeks from doing this and eating better.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:19 AM

Add on.

I tried running well jogging on my treadmill this morning. It can be done but man it is a very tough workout. I lasted about 10 seconds, lol. I will have to work up to that

Old 08-01-2011, 03:16 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,858,678 times
I found a couple other things that might work, a mini elliptical and a mini stepper. I'm still undecided re what to get and have been checking out those items on Amazon but finding mixed reviews. My elliptical was my favorite but I can't find enough room to carve out a decent spot for a good one.

Old 08-01-2011, 03:57 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,953,056 times
Consider a jump rope instead. Its a LOT cheaper and manual treadmills are just junk. Its darn near impossible to find anyone who makes those anymore because they are just old "technology". Like those old shakety belt things that you see in old old films like the Little Rascals or Three Stooges where women would attach those belt things around their bottoms and let it jiggle, the manual treadmill is about as old and useless as that compared to the new more advanced equipment available.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Its darn near impossible to find anyone who makes those anymore because they are just old "technology".
manual treadmills - Google Search

Old 08-01-2011, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Add on.

I tried running well jogging on my treadmill this morning. It can be done but man it is a very tough workout. I lasted about 10 seconds, lol. I will have to work up to that
Do you have to hold onto the handles when running? That would limit your speed, imo.

Old 08-02-2011, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Do you have to hold onto the handles when running? That would limit your speed, imo.
No I can let go....but balancing is a little harder than an electric treadmill that just rolls for you without your legs moving, lol. The trick is keeping yourself at a consistent speed whether running or walking. It's actually easier for me to jog without using the handrails than it is to walk. Go figure. I trip up while walking if I let go but not jogging.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness