Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 10:30 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,865,381 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any experience with cheaper running shoes like you find in Walmart?

I am mainly interested in using them for hiking. I get the feeling that hiking is too hard on shoes, due to all of the contact with sharp rocks and extreme terrain. So I would prefer to spend $15 on some less expensive shoes that I feel may not last long anyway, regardless of how much I spend on them. But I am fairly new to hiking, so I am not sure about how long a pair of hiking shoes will generally last.

I only need them specifically for hiking. Any thoughts? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2011, 09:43 AM

25,080 posts, read 16,328,000 times
Well if Walmart is the best u can do there's nothing wrong with that. However just be advised sometimes it is really true u get what u pay for.

Old 08-21-2011, 10:07 AM

645 posts, read 1,276,056 times
If you’re an American, I’d like to make two suggestions.
1. Never shop at Wal-Mart
2. Buy New Balance sneakers that were made in America. True they’re 150 dollars, but they can be had even if you’re poor. All one has to do is plan. Read the label. It has to say made in the USA. Not assembled, not materials were made in the USA.

By disregarding the above to suggestions, one is systematically buying themselves out of a job even if you're not in manufacturing. The ripple effect will get you down the road.

Old 08-21-2011, 11:13 AM

I was asking if anyone had used them before.

Old 08-21-2011, 11:38 AM

645 posts, read 1,276,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I was asking if anyone had used them before.
True, but your post implies that you’re thinking about getting a pair of imported sneakers from Wal-Mart. I was giving you alternative suggestions, which you have every right to completely disregard.

Old 08-21-2011, 11:47 AM

2,186 posts, read 7,944,713 times
I would never run in them, but we got some for my brother in law when they visited a few months ago (he had forgotten his shoes and Wal-Mart is open 24 hours when we were leaving around 6 a.m. to go camping) and he said they were fine and he didn't feel guilty getting them dirty or wet. I don't see any problem with hiking in them. They aren't that bad. I would never use them for running though. The shoes they had seemed to be more cross-trainers than specifically for things like running.

I am American and I love shopping at Wal-Mart. Do I wish they would sell more American stuff? Absolutely, but people care more about saving money than American jobs otherwise they would sell more of it.

Old 08-21-2011, 11:54 AM

I actually plan to use them for trail walking, not running. For some reason I thought they were running shoes, but now I am pretty sure the ones I saw could have been cross trainers.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:18 AM

2,754 posts, read 6,101,409 times
Yeah, man: if you're gonna use trainers or athletic shoes for hiking you're just gonna tear 'em up anyway, so you might as well buy a cheap pair. Then, you can see how long they last and how comfy they are and always trade-up next time if you need to. But if you find they are sufficient for your needs than just buy another cheapie pair and save some dough.
Besides, people spend waaay too much on running shoes these days, and have in fact been duped by the running shoe companies like Nike for 30 years now. Increasing sports science evidence tells us that those ultra-padded, ultra-supportive $100 running shoes may actually be CAUSING more injuries than they prevent, as they make us abandon our natural way of running: landing on our forefeet, and instead invite us to land on our heels first, since they are so padded.

Old 08-28-2011, 03:57 PM

3,822 posts, read 9,477,031 times
See if you have a Big 5 Sporting Goods store near you and spend an extra $15 over there. They always have a pretty decent selection of shoes for $30-$40.

Old 08-28-2011, 08:59 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolillo_loco View Post
If you’re an American, I’d like to make two suggestions.
1. Never shop at Wal-Mart
2. Buy New Balance sneakers that were made in America. True they’re 150 dollars, but they can be had even if you’re poor. All one has to do is plan. Read the label. It has to say made in the USA. Not assembled, not materials were made in the USA.

By disregarding the above to suggestions, one is systematically buying themselves out of a job even if you're not in manufacturing. The ripple effect will get you down the road.
Haha, never shop at Wal-Mart..................not me. I have saved so much money shopping at Evil Wal-Mart, I love the place. Besides ......so many stores get their stuff from the SAME place the Big W gets it from.

I love many of the shoes at Walmart, ten times better than the JUNK shoes they sell at Tar-Jay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness