Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 10:43 AM

201 posts, read 648,635 times

Advertisements

Younglisa7, thats very good! I really like that diet. The options to make my meal my own seem like a great idea. Now, I just have to get time taken care of. I like the rest of the world have a full work day and it gets hard to fit food in. It's about dieting properly, time managment and paying attention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 10:48 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwenFam View Post
What I was trying to say is, in the end, it won't help because the biggest part of losing weight is retraining the brain. If you tell yourself that it's okay to have an occasional frozen meal, then where is the line drawn?? It is so easy to do exactly what you are saying....."here and there".....isn't that how most people gain weight to begin with, that type of mentality. Like I said, there's no easy fix and the best thing that a person can do for themselves when trying to get in shape, is to start with the brain. Decide early on that losing weight is not the goal....getting healthy is and the bonus will be the weight loss. I am truly not trying to be rude. I just know how many times I tried to lose weight and failed. I didn't have success until I decided to start with getting healthy and sticking with it. I used to think exactly like what you have said about the frozen meals. I would eat those for lunch and dinner. Not only are they unhealthy, but after awhile, they leave you feeling soooooo hungry and then you end up pigging out on other unhealthy food(s) and then the weight comes back on.
i dont really see a problem with a frozen meal. the only thing is they tend to have higher sodium than something made at home but sodium isnt the devil. thats an issue if you have high blood pressure and if so then they probably should cut it out.

the original poster seems to intentionally set himself up for failure. he doesnt count calories and he thinks he can just replace "bad" foods with "good" foods and that will compensate regardless of calories in the "good" foods. so he needs to get some structure and rules laid out in his diet. but id recommend he drop his snack before he drops his frozen dinner.

Old 10-11-2011, 02:49 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Have you tried a low carb diet????

You may be insulin resistant, this is common in todays day and age. Too much carbs will make it really hard to improve your bodies composition.

Last edited by tickyul; 10-11-2011 at 04:09 PM..

Old 10-11-2011, 02:59 PM

201 posts, read 648,635 times
CaptianNJ the original poster seems to intentionally set himself up for failure. he doesnt count calories and he thinks he can just replace "bad" foods with "good" foods and that will compensate regardless of calories in the "good" foods.

Thats exactly why im posting this in the first place, because i need help. how am i setting myself up for failure by replacing frie with strawberries?

Old 10-11-2011, 04:01 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,266,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuelBrock77 View Post
You are 100% correct. And i do this because i feel like what works for the rest of the world simply does not work for me. i am of the mentality that if i repalce french fries with strawberries that i should be losing weight. But, it all seems kinda hopless (not to be dramatic). if i skip breakfast and lunch i dont lose a thing, but if i eat all 3 meals a day and snack i weigh myself and have gained 5 pounds in one day??? thats not fair when i did eveything i was suppossed to do. I appreciate the advice and the diet list. but ya, i do tend to jump around and have temporary success with diets here and there. but nothing long lasting or life changing
I am of the philosophy that you weigh yourself once a day in the morning when you get out of bed. My weight is pretty consistent, but will see fluctuations of 3 pounds depending on how hard I worked out previous day and how much I ate. The only time I deviate from this is when it is really hot/humid or I am doing an exceptionally long ride. Then I weigh myself before and after the workout to get a feel fo how much fluid replacement I need. If you are working out, especially with weights, the scale may not be best indicator rather the mirror and your waist size will be.

Old 10-11-2011, 04:09 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,385,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuelBrock77 View Post
CaptianNJ the original poster seems to intentionally set himself up for failure. he doesnt count calories and he thinks he can just replace "bad" foods with "good" foods and that will compensate regardless of calories in the "good" foods.

Thats exactly why im posting this in the first place, because i need help. how am i setting myself up for failure by replacing frie with strawberries?

You're not giving us enough info here, Samuel. If you replace 300 cals of french fries with 500 calories of strawberries, you're probably not gonna lose much weight. Granted, strawberries are healthier than french fries, but that's not the entire picture. See?

You need to keep a food journal - everything you eat or drink for a week, to include approx amounts - and post it here.

We can then go from there.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:53 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
You're not giving us enough info here, Samuel. If you replace 300 cals of french fries with 500 calories of strawberries, you're probably not gonna lose much weight.
exactly. the OP seems to be of the mindset where he deserves rewards for "good behavior." i see this often with women who will eat more as a reward for working out (negating the benefits of the exercise). the OP seems to reward his good behavior of eating "healthier" foods by giving himself more calories. i could be wrong, this is just how it seems to me and the fact that he isnt losing weight helps lead me to believe its the case. i dont believe he is some unique human where caloric deficits dont lead to weight loss.

Old 10-15-2011, 04:32 PM

3,663 posts, read 8,666,425 times
I am on the 3 day diet and works great, lost 4 lbs in first 3 days. I am not hungry on it all, I am going to stay on it for as long as I need to. Today is the end of my first week and I am down 8 lbs.

Old 10-15-2011, 07:27 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,257,288 times
[quote=hooligan;21244599 If you replace 300 cals of french fries with 500 calories of strawberries, you're probably not gonna lose much weight.[/quote]

Do you have any idea how many strawberries you'd have to eat to consume 500 calories? 125 medium size ones. You'd probably puke first.

Old 10-16-2011, 06:40 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Do you have any idea how many strawberries you'd have to eat to consume 500 calories? 125 medium size ones. You'd probably puke first.
It also depends on what he means by strawberries. Does he mean fresh strawberries that you buy in the produce aile in the green plastic pint baskets? Or does he mean the frozen (or canned) strawberries packed in syrup intended primarily for use in smoothies, daquiries, and cake fillings?

What -else- is he mixing in that smoothie? If all he's doing is unsweetened fresh strawberries for breakfast, he's getting very little nutrition, and will be setting himself up not only for weight loss failure, but also for malnutrition. If he's adding a ripe banana, and a can of peaches in heavy syrup, and a scoop of vanilla ice cream, then that smoothie is going to set him up for a heart attack, if he drinks a big enough one every day for a long enough period of time.

Eating low calorie doesn't help at all, if the calories you're eating have little nutritional value. As I've said in the past...if the ONLY thing you want to do is lose weight, and don't care about your health, then simply stop eating, period. If you want to lose weight and DO care about your health, then you need a balanced diet.

And that Katy diet from Younglisa..
1) there's no reference but it's clearly a very long quote, which is incomplete (a few things have asterisks but no reference to what those asterisks mean), and against TOS.

2) According to that list, a person is allowed to eat 4 cans of tuna, 24 cups of salad (since there's no qualification, it can be assumed that dressing is allowed - I prefer extra chunky bleu cheese dressing made with sour cream and mayo), and a cup of spaghetti with sauce (let's use my own marinara, which is mostly canned whole roasted tomatoes, tomato paste, olive oil, garlic, oregano, hot pepper flakes, a little onion, and my secret ingredient: shredded bits of pork bacon.)

According to that list, I can eat all of that, every single day, and it'll be a jump start to losing weight? Really? And which doctor has determined that eating 4 cans of tuna daily is a good idea, for anyone, ever? I'd love to hear their explanation of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness