Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2013, 02:00 PM

437 posts, read 649,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneOnegin View Post
Can you please QUIT capitalizing RANDOM *words* like an ANGRY crazy PERSON? You don't *need* to EMPHASIZE every 3rd WORD, we can understand YOU just *fine*.

Believe it or not, Off-topic Police, what kind of shape you're in from say, 30-40 is very highly relevant to the question posed in this thread- whether or not it's possible to get into perfect shape after 40. If you're 800 lbs and look like Jaba the Hut on your 40th birthday, it's probably not happening, even with tons of plastic surgery. That doesn't mean you shouldn't work to improve your figure and health by any means, but that's reality.

The bigger you are, the more loose skin you're going to have when you lose weight. The older you are, the less elastic that skin. The more you screw up your insulin resistant with excess weight and poor diet, the harder it's going to be later on. And on and on. That's why it's important, if possible, to start early.

What kind of shape you're in when you start trying to achieve that goal is one of the biggest factors. I'm not sure why you're taking so much umbrage with this fact. If you missed the boat on getting into shape earlier in life that's fine, it's always much better late than never. No one is telling anyone to not even bother because they started late. But there are young people reading this thread too, and for those who want to be in great shape after 40, they would be well served to start ASAP. Yet you take offense at the mention of anyone starting early, as if you don't want these people to get in shape before 40. Do you not care about these people, only those over 40?

And IN one OF my POSTS I STATED that A person WITH a LOT more WEIGHT to LOSE is GOING to HAVE to DEAL with PLASTIC surgery OR just ACCEPTANCE of THEIR body, ONCE the WEIGHT is LOST.

ONCE again, YOU are PUTTING words INTO my STANCE that HAS nothing TO do WITH what I POSTED.

THIS is FUN.

lol

bullie~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 02:06 PM

Is it possible to get in perfect shape after 40?

Quote:
I would like to know if achieving a (near) perfect body is possible after the age of 40. I am 42, female, and 55 pounds overwieight. I have not exercised in about 8 years but prior to that I ran regularly but was still about 10 pounds over my ideal weight. Almost all of my weight is in the abdominal area. The only thing that really matters to me right now is getting in good shape, but is it possible to achieve a flat stomach and great figure at this age?
This is the OP, and it's what I've been referring to, FYI.

bullie~

Old 11-28-2013, 10:51 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,485,113 times
Yes.

Old 11-29-2013, 03:02 AM

8 posts, read 7,390 times
There is no age that will stop you from being fit. The more you work towards fitness, the more longer you will live a healthy life. You can take up basic exercises that will not strain your muscles. You could go out walking during the day times. A bit of yoga, aerobics can surely help. I have recently started using Exercise bands for exercise. I found them quite good at it and they do not require much strength like the free weights. You can try one of these or consult a good gym trainer who will help you begin with a proper exercise routine which you can carry on by yourself.

Old 11-29-2013, 07:29 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,954,215 times
One can get into perfect shape for their age, abilities and desire to do so.

Perfect shape applies to each person differently. If you apply someone else's idea of "perfect shape" you might not ever achieve that. But then who really cares?

Old 12-12-2013, 09:38 AM

10 posts, read 23,417 times
Bullie 62

The answer is YES
With the proper combination of diet, weight training and cardio .... you can get in amazing levels of fitness compared to the average sedentary person in society.

You can find all kinds of videos, books and other information to help you find the right program for people over 40 by simply Yahoo or Google something like fitness 40 50 60 (or whatever age range you are concerned about)

In my 50s myself
[Mod cut: advertising/self promoting]

Last edited by elnina; 12-16-2013 at 01:46 PM..

Old 12-12-2013, 09:41 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverbend View Post
I would like to know if achieving a (near) perfect body is possible after the age of 40. I am 42, female, and 55 pounds overwieight. I have not exercised in about 8 years but prior to that I ran regularly but was still about 10 pounds over my ideal weight. Almost all of my weight is in the abdominal area. The only thing that really matters to me right now is getting in good shape, but is it possible to achieve a flat stomach and great figure at this age?
I know two 60 year-olds who are in AMAZING shape. He's all ripped and buff with taught skin. She is the same but skinnier.

It blows my mind, but there you are.

As for amazing looking 40 year-olds...hell, throw a rock around here and you will hit one.

Old 12-13-2013, 12:09 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,844,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelSpitzer View Post
With the proper combination of diet, weight training and cardio .... you can get in amazing levels of fitness compared to the average sedentary person in society.

In my 50s myself
Just curious, how much weight did you lose, and did you have any extra hanging skin as a result? I believe that was the issue that bullie was talking about on post 155 (last paragraph)

Old 12-13-2013, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I know two 60 year-olds who are in AMAZING shape. He's all ripped and buff with taught skin. She is the same but skinnier.

It blows my mind, but there you are.

As for amazing looking 40 year-olds...hell, throw a rock around here and you will hit one.

Indeed........... that is my query. Does one who has gained some age and weight to go with it, and LOST the weight, *not the age*, and has the saggy skin to deal with.......what does one do....... This is not an issue that can be ignored.

At my age, small as I am, but having nature takes its course, and the butt now NOT quite where it used to sit.... instead, it sank like the Minnow, and the line between my bikini bottoms and the lines that continue South are NOT welcome.

ARGH!!!!!!!!!!

bullie~

Old 12-13-2013, 06:16 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullie62 View Post
Indeed........... that is my query. Does one who has gained some age and weight to go with it, and LOST the weight, *not the age*, and has the saggy skin to deal with.......what does one do....... This is not an issue that can be ignored.

At my age, small as I am, but having nature takes its course, and the butt now NOT quite where it used to sit.... instead, it sank like the Minnow, and the line between my bikini bottoms and the lines that continue South are NOT welcome.

ARGH!!!!!!!!!!

bullie~
At 40 or even 50, no one should have saggy skin if they work out regularly. No matter how much weight you've lost, if you've done it right (3 workouts/week, at least), it won't sag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness