Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 08:36 PM

7,116 posts, read 12,657,474 times

Advertisements

Hello Good Enough Jazzcat--I'm proud to make your acquaintance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 07:29 AM

7,167 posts, read 9,221,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Great! Let's form the "Good Enough" Club. My name is (fill in your name here) and I'm GOOD ENOUGH.

Screw perfection--that's for LA types with personal trainers and lots of money for augmentation and fat suction. Phooey. Let's be healthy, fit and "good enough."
LOL Well I'm NOT good enuff. Yet. Long ways to go. Never will reach some of my goals I fear. Yet the goals themselves are far from perfection.

So I am just aiming at "good enuff"!

Seriously we all have to set our own goals. Re-evaluate them from time to time and re-aim.

Old 12-23-2011, 04:26 PM

212 posts, read 320,416 times
Since Jack Lalanne managed it at age 90, I'd say that a "mere" woman can do so at age 50 or so. :-)

Old 12-24-2011, 11:36 AM

3,360 posts, read 8,387,602 times
But bear in mind Jack LaLanne had worked his body out relentlessly since he was 20 years old. He worked furiously to maintain the fitness he had long maintained. I still think it's very difficult to suddenly turn a switch at 40 or 50 and get into "perfect" shape. Some people do, sure, but they are a vast statistical minority.

Old 12-24-2011, 12:02 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
Anyone can get into great shape at any age if they put their mind to it. Its hard but it can be done.

Old 12-24-2011, 12:10 PM

874 posts, read 1,648,233 times
Yeah, just look at Brad Pitt.

Old 12-27-2011, 11:55 AM

3,360 posts, read 8,387,602 times
Brad Pitt is like Jack LaLanne, he also was fit and worked out from the time he was in his early 20's. He'll be 50 soon but has always been in shape. It's a lot easier to maintain your fitness as you age if you've always been in shape. It's much harder to start from scratch in middle age and stick to a routine and become fit.

Old 12-27-2011, 05:05 PM

165 posts, read 405,704 times
Quote:
It's much harder to start from scratch in middle age and stick to a routine and become fit.
This is just an excuse that is often provided by those that are older. The longer you wait, the more bad habits you have to overcome, but it is still possible to get in really good shape at an older age. I was in good shape in my early 20's. Then, let things slack quite a bit until I hit 37. I started hitting the gym again around that time. Now, at 40, I am in better shape than when I was in my 20's. Yeah, if I want the 6-pack abs to show, I have to be more diligent about my diet and do a more focused cardio than I used to do, but, it is not difficult. It just takes determination and dedication. So, I would basically state that I started working out at age 37 since I had such a long gap and really let myself go. Before I started working out 3 years ago, I was 5'10 weighing 210 lbs and wore 38" waist pants. Now, I weigh between 207-210 and need a belt for 32" waist pants. I would say that is in pretty good shape for a 40 yr old.

Old 12-28-2011, 10:28 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,220,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
But bear in mind Jack LaLanne had worked his body out relentlessly since he was 20 years old. He worked furiously to maintain the fitness he had long maintained. I still think it's very difficult to suddenly turn a switch at 40 or 50 and get into "perfect" shape. Some people do, sure, but they are a vast statistical minority.
I've heard that it's very difficult to start working out and get into shape after 40 if you never have worked out. I just turned 45 and I've been working out and doing regular cardio since my early 20s. I get compliments on looking good and people think I'm in my 30s. I've had to tweak my diet in the past couple years to maintain my ideal weight and not put fat on my abdomen, but I refuse to get fat or out of shape. I honestly feel the same as I did 20 or 30 years ago.

Old 12-28-2011, 02:01 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,275,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfpd View Post
This is just an excuse that is often provided by those that are older. The longer you wait, the more bad habits you have to overcome, but it is still possible to get in really good shape at an older age. I was in good shape in my early 20's. Then, let things slack quite a bit until I hit 37. I started hitting the gym again around that time. Now, at 40, I am in better shape than when I was in my 20's. Yeah, if I want the 6-pack abs to show, I have to be more diligent about my diet and do a more focused cardio than I used to do, but, it is not difficult. It just takes determination and dedication. So, I would basically state that I started working out at age 37 since I had such a long gap and really let myself go. Before I started working out 3 years ago, I was 5'10 weighing 210 lbs and wore 38" waist pants. Now, I weigh between 207-210 and need a belt for 32" waist pants. I would say that is in pretty good shape for a 40 yr old.
Agree 100%. Getting in great shape is more mental than anything else. It can be more difficult, but not impossible.

I am in the same boat, mfpd. I was an overweight child (I weighed 175 in third grade), lost it at 18 and yo-yo'ed until I hit my mid twenties. Then, I just gave up and gained 80 pounds. I decided at 30 to lose it. Now, at 35 I am in the best shape of my life. I know it doesn't compare to a 50 year old, but I could very easily say "Well, from 30 it's downhill anyway." I refuse to go out like that.

You can get in great shape. I know this sounds hokey, but believing in yourself really is half the battle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness