Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 07:42 AM

4,056 posts, read 2,135,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
There is no "Hip Hop Yoga". At least, I havent seen any.
It's not my thing, but there is definitely hip hop yoga. Google it and you will get 23 million hits!

Hip Hop Yoga West Tour - YouTube

Basically it seems like regular yoga without the New Age music. Since I dislike hip hop so much and love yoga, it probably would be interesting for me to take this.

I agree that yoga is fantastic, even for someone like me who started at the age of 55!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2011, 03:02 PM

1,801 posts, read 3,554,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22
It's not my thing, but there is definitely hip hop yoga. Google it and you will get 23 million hits!

Hip Hop Yoga West Tour - YouTube

Basically it seems like regular yoga without the New Age music. Since I dislike hip hop so much and love yoga, it probably would be interesting for me to take this.

I agree that yoga is fantastic, even for someone like me who started at the age of 55!
My mother is in her 50s and started recently (vinyasa yoga): she's loving it! Everybody can benefit regardless of fitness level and even though some postures can't always be fully accomplished in the beginning.

Old 12-18-2011, 03:06 PM

4,056 posts, read 2,135,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noela View Post
My mother is in her 50s and started recently (vinyasa yoga): she's loving it! Everybody can benefit regardless of fitness level and even though some postures can't always be fully accomplished in the beginning.
Noela, kind of you to say "in the beginning," but I do think there are some postures that us older folks will NEVER be able to do....

Old 12-18-2011, 03:40 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
The other point I was making is that there are a LOT of very beautiful women who attend yoga.
LOL -- you're supposed to be concentrating on your breath and pose, not looking at the pretty girls!

Old 12-19-2011, 11:53 AM

160 posts, read 335,262 times
I'm not very familiar with yoga, what is Vinyasa yoga?

I need to find time in my day to practise yoga. In the am I do one hr cardio and 30 to 45 min. weights. Then my day starts. Maybe before I go to bed would this be a good time to do some yoga?

Old 12-19-2011, 12:28 PM

1,801 posts, read 3,554,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockytibby View Post
I'm not very familiar with yoga, what is Vinyasa yoga?

I need to find time in my day to practise yoga. In the am I do one hr cardio and 30 to 45 min. weights. Then my day starts. Maybe before I go to bed would this be a good time to do some yoga?
Roughly, it's "flow" yoga, where you make your breath (inhale-exhale) match your poses, which you go through dynamically.

Do it when you can, but try not to eat for at least a couple of hours before your yoga practice. It's best done on an empty stomach.

Old 12-21-2011, 05:15 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,528,885 times
Has anybody else found they just cannot do yoga? I have always worked out religously (weight training and aerobics) but when I have tried yoga, I find I just can't do it! My entire body is shaking at the end of an hour class, my balance never seems to improve and the breathing? -- I'm too busy trying to not collapse to focus on my breathing! It seems that women have a much easier time with yoga. The few other men in classes I have attended always seem to struggle, though not as much as me. It's humiliating. I'm in my fifties so, I would like to improve my balance since that is something that most folks lose with aging but, I took an 8 week class last Spring, and another this past Fall, no improvement whatsoever. A little disheartening.

Old 12-21-2011, 07:34 AM

7,182 posts, read 9,231,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
Has anybody else found they just cannot do yoga? I have always worked out religously (weight training and aerobics) but when I have tried yoga, I find I just can't do it! My entire body is shaking at the end of an hour class, my balance never seems to improve and the breathing? -- I'm too busy trying to not collapse to focus on my breathing! It seems that women have a much easier time with yoga. The few other men in classes I have attended always seem to struggle, though not as much as me. It's humiliating. I'm in my fifties so, I would like to improve my balance since that is something that most folks lose with aging but, I took an 8 week class last Spring, and another this past Fall, no improvement whatsoever. A little disheartening.
Have you talked with the instructor? Maybe they can offer some advice. Maybe private instruction in basics? Or some simple exercises you could do at home to improve your flexibility and balance?

In my opinion balance is another facet of fitness. One which we don't bother with too much because we have to balance just to run, bike, lift, etc. But balance isn't really about power. It's about learning how to control your body.

I haven't done yoga, but do some basic balancing exercises. It is difficult for me as well.

Old 12-26-2011, 07:54 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,143,924 times
I love yoga, but that song is awful. I feel like it does more for me than stretching. There are definitely some moves which use the body's own weight for resistance, for example.

Old 12-28-2011, 11:00 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times
So cool. One of the gals I have been training gave me a cool gift today to thank me for being a hard*ss on her with her training. Said that for the first time in years she is now under 200 pounds at a cool 192 lbs (even though I tell her to not worry about what the scale says).

She has definitely seriously taken her yoga studies and practice and is now in best shape she's ever been in. I have her do a simple routine of 20 sun salutations each morning (10 A and 10 of B) in conjunction with other things Im training her on. She said that her entire life she hated the stereotypical "yoga chicks" because as a fat person, she (and many of her fat friends) thought that yoga was just another way of thin/fit girls "sticking" it to the fat girls with a "this is so easy for me, but you cant do it" type attitude. But thankfully, she has come to realize that yoga is one of the BEST methods for improving one's health (physically, mentally and spiritally).

Here is another very good instructional video for a sun salutation by Dashama. Enjoy.

Vinyasa Yoga Sun Salutations with Dashama- all levels - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness