Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 03:32 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,977,781 times

Advertisements

Oh CPC, you so funny!! Especially the part where you say "Im a big fan of Crossfit" then go on spouting off hilarity about it. Hilarious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 05:25 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,741,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Oh CPC, you so funny!! Especially the part where you say "Im a big fan of Crossfit" then go on spouting off hilarity about it. Hilarious.
Did you miss the intent where it's being implied that it's being wrongly applied on the wrong people?

[Mod cut: orphaned ]

Last edited by elnina; 02-10-2012 at 07:45 PM..

Old 02-10-2012, 05:27 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,084,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Currency Pair Crocodile View Post
but I understand it's intense and churns out professional athletes blah blah blah etc.,
Only if you count the athletes in the "sport" of Crossfit. No one else, generally speaking, does it. As a matter of fact, the starting running back for my favorite NFL team ditched the NFL training system for Crossfit last year. He suffered several ligament injuries (including one in the very first game of the year) and finally tore his ACL just a little over half way through the season.

Seriously, I can't think of anyone off the top of my head who uses Crossfit other than Crossfitters themselves. I know one of the police academies here used a few elements from it for awhile but then ditched it for something better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1208 View Post
it's a fad, if anything.
I personally expect it to go the way of Tae-Bo.

Old 02-10-2012, 05:33 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,416,945 times
I am going to say something shocking.

Every gym in the universe exists to make money.

Nothing they do should shock you.

Old 02-10-2012, 06:23 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,132,826 times
Quote:
Ok, I'm a big fan of crossfit. I am personally not going through it, but I understand it's intense and churns out professional athletes blah blah blah etc.,

But it's not designed for the common man and woman, to be honest. I see this crossfit-type of training with diverse things like various equipment, ropes, chains, weights, the list is endless being handed out to ordinary people and newbies, especially some of whom are overweight. Clearly, these folks are not built for this kind of intensity, all they need is a different form of work out.

Crossfit has been whispered to be harmful even to the seasoned gym rat, and it does have its fair share of detractors and critics, some of whom belong to the professional medical community.

Crossfit does work wonders on people who regularly work out, have a good physique already and are used to the one million details of a gym. But what is making the trainers lead newbies and overweight people and even seasoned gym goers into this cult and in the process, totally bruise and batter them to kingdom come

And to be honest, noone's gonna do crossfit for the rest of eternity. The gymrat, yes, but the family man? The mother? The hard working professional? The verdict is out there, again, they want your money. 100$ per session or more

Let's hear everyone's thoughts now. I say crossfit is a cult coz it's being spread by word of mouth and online propaganda, with little basis in science, long term benefits and research.

I'm a crippled.

Literally.

I have limited mobility (3 foot surgeries) and a spinal injury.

I am able to find crossfit exercises that I can do.

Online, without paying anyone a dime.

Old 02-10-2012, 06:26 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,741,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
I'm a crippled.

Literally.

I have limited mobility (3 foot surgeries) and a spinal injury.

I am able to find crossfit exercises that I can do.

Online, without paying anyone a dime.
Yes, but you do not have a trainer leading you through stringent exercises which a client is not built for.

Old 02-10-2012, 07:31 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,132,826 times
Quote:
Yes, but you do not have a trainer leading you through stringent exercises which a client is not built for.
That's a trainer issue, not crossfit.

Old 02-10-2012, 07:48 PM

61,825 posts, read 87,292,973 times
Way to many posts deleted! Please stay on topic. If you don't like it, please do not post here!!

Last edited by elnina; 02-10-2012 at 11:58 PM..

Old 02-10-2012, 08:44 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,371,423 times
Ok, so I post a link to the EXACT same thread and it gets deleted? Not helpful? Yeah, ok.

Anyways, I am not a big fan of crossfit.

BUT, I don't know any other workout system that has actually gotten normal couch potatoes to work out. Yeah, Tae-Bo and the starstepper are gimmicks, maybe crossfit is too, but it's getting people up, getting some, albeit, not athlete results, to normal people.

The entire fitness industry is a gimmick and people out for money. Do you see personal trainers at the gym? Most don't meet credentials to train elite athletes. All they do is act as a vector of information that can be obtained from the internet, costing much money money, with NO results.

How many times have you seen an out of shape person doing tricep kickbacks? Effective? I know crossfit is much more effective and costs just as much money.

Crossfit may fail as a fitness model, but as a business model.. it's sound and makes money. Crossfit has taken several ideas and jumbled it into one fitness model. Westside, starting strength, conditioning, HIIT... and labeled it 'crossfit'. It's a shame I didn't think of the idea first.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:55 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,371,423 times
Quote:
Most personal trainers I see in the gym. Either something the client isn't built for or what isn't effective for the client.

I don't believe in crossfit either. In fact, I despise it. But, I don't believe in babying. That's one thing I like about crossfit. Crossfit puts faith into people that others baby. When treated like a child, no progress is made (think of Africa and foreign aid). IF they don't make it, oh well. Most won't see progress from a regular personal trainer either.

Crossfit gives people a don't give up attitude, dedication, confidence. That's something a personal trainer teaching tricep kickbacks and 'coaching' someone for twenty minutes on an exercise bike won't do.

But, I also don't agree that crossfit uses kipping pull ups, multiple rep olympic movements (form breaks down on technical lift, so do joints, ligaments and muscles) and the ridiculous prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness