Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 01:52 PM

430 posts, read 1,192,675 times

Advertisements

How can I get the most lean, cut, and sculpted muscles possible? I'm pretty skinny and I wouldn't mind building some muscle, but I still don't wanna get anything bulky lol. Also I'de like to know what are the pros and cons of muscle building protein supplements, like whey vs creatine. Or on the other hand, should I just avoid the supplements altogether? The more information the better.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 03:28 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,962,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Miaugie View Post
Body building question. How can I get the most lean, cut, and sculpted muscles possible? I'm pretty skinny and I wouldn't mind building some muscle, but I still don't wanna get anything bulky lol. Also I'de like to know what are the pros and cons of muscle building protein supplements, like whey vs creatine. Or on the other hand, should I just avoid the supplements altogether? The more information the better.
Thanks
Well miaugie, the two things you said above in bold are actually the same thing. "Body Building" in itself requires "bulking". This tells me you are completely new to this.

You've come to the right place to help, but first a few questions:

What is your current weight and height?
Do you have access to any equipment or gym membership? If so, what is it?
Are you able and willing to committ to a clean healthy nutrition plan?
How much time do you have per day for working out?

Old 03-02-2012, 03:35 PM

968 posts, read 2,589,580 times
I would only use whey. Creatine simply gives one a bit more endurance. Basically it provides an extra phosphate to aid in the production of ATP.

Are you looking to actually gain weight? You can get the cut look by simply changing your body composition.

Old 03-02-2012, 06:00 PM

6'2 155 lbs im pretty skinny (Im not fat or flabby at all) , no membership so far, im willing but not fully able for healthy eating, and I also have lots of time on my hands.
Currently im lifting 15x2 and I have 40x2lbs total that can fit the bar.

TO crustedfilth: Im interested in gaining weight by muscle with a very difined and lean physique. Can I get this look without cardio and will whey protein muscle gainers give my fatty muscle?

Old 03-03-2012, 06:37 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,385,616 times
I would suggest something like the Starting Strength book by Mark Rippetoe. Buy it, read it, follow it.

Old 03-03-2012, 10:58 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,667,875 times
Quote:
How can I get the most lean, cut, and sculpted muscles possible? I'm pretty skinny and I wouldn't mind building some muscle, but I still don't wanna get anything bulky lol. Also I'de like to know what are the pros and cons of muscle building protein supplements, like whey vs creatine. Or on the other hand, should I just avoid the supplements altogether? The more information the better.
Thanks
Quote:
6'2 155 lbs im pretty skinny (Im not fat or flabby at all) , no membership so far, im willing but not fully able for healthy eating, and I also have lots of time on my hands.
Currently im lifting 15x2 and I have 40x2lbs total that can fit the bar.

TO crustedfilth: Im interested in gaining weight by muscle with a very difined and lean physique. Can I get this look without cardio and will whey protein muscle gainers give my fatty muscle?
You are 6'2" and 155 lbs and you "don't wanna get anything bulky." Don't worry. It will likely never happen. You are so far from being bulky that the word should not even be in your vocabulary. I'm guessing you are fairly young probably 15 to 19 years old. You have been looking at either bodybuilding websites or magazines based on your use of phrases like "lean, cut, and sculpted muscles" and "very defined and lean physique." You are wasting your time reading this stuff. This is not reality. You are skinny and any type of weightlifting you do will help you. The best thing you can do is join some kind of gym. Start with any kind of program but don't wait. As you start lifting you will get ideas. Start lifting three days a week and do both upper and lower body. Don't lift for more than an hour. Find some exercises you are comfortable with and do 3 sets. Lift to failure (when you can't do one more rep) and shoot for 8-12 reps.If you can do more add a small amount of weight. Don't look at how much weight other people are using. You have to start light and work up. Watch your form and don't jerk or thow the weight. Get ideas for new exercises from other people, websites or books. And yes try some protein powder and creatine. they can't hurt and they might help you put on some muscle. Your waist size should be the indicator of whether you are eating too much. You want to keep your waist size the same and put on weight. Make sure you include squats and deadlifts in your program. For your upper body, make sure you are doing bench presses, pull-ups and some type of pectoral flyes using either a pec deck machine or cable flyes.

Old 03-03-2012, 01:36 PM

Thank you so much for the advice!
Also will doing heavy dedicated cardio (jogging on a treadmill) effect my muscle growth rate?
My schedule should look like this.
Monday-Weight train
Tuesday-Cardio
Wens-Weight Train
Thurs-Cardio
Fri-Weight Train
Saturday thru Sunday-Cardio.
Will this a good idea?

Last edited by Mister Miaugie; 03-03-2012 at 02:00 PM..

Old 03-03-2012, 01:37 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,186,782 times
Look at the other males in your family. Do they have good builds? A lot of the great bodies owe a lot to the genetic make up of the family. Those with broad shoulders and narrow hips will always look more "fit" than those with narrow shoulders.

Old 03-03-2012, 01:57 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,667,875 times
Quote:
Will doing heavy dedicated cardio (jogging on a treadmill) effect my muscle growth rate?
My schedule should look like this.
Monday-Weight train
Tuesday-Cardio
Wens-Weight Train
Thurs-Cardio
Fri-Weight Train
Saturday thru Sunday-Cardio.
Will this a good idea?
Jogging on a treadmill does not sound heavy dedicated cardio. I have put on muscle while running (not jogging) over 35 miles a week including a 5K or 10K race. Keys are eating ASAP after exercise regardless of whether it is weights or running.

Old 03-03-2012, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Jogging on a treadmill does not sound heavy dedicated cardio. I have put on muscle while running (not jogging) over 35 miles a week including a 5K or 10K race. Keys are eating ASAP after exercise regardless of whether it is weights or running.
I've never done cardio before but either way I will give it my all on the tread mill!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness