Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 01:21 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times

Advertisements

I think it's mainly calories in/calories out, but there is something to be said for differences in bodies and differences in metabolism. I'm here to tell you that menopause changes things when it comes to diet and exercise. At 50, I'm working out harder and more often, and am eating much better than I did in my 20's and 30's, and have never found it so difficult to keep the fat from gathering around my belly. I know it must be possible because I see women at the gym who are older than I am and still have very young looking bodies, but I can only imagine that they are extremely strict with their diets. What I did 20 years ago simply does not work now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 04:35 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,628,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
I agree. In my experience, people who complain about their "slow metabolism" and "I eat nothing and am still fat" say this while devouring a foot-long Subway sandwich with fries.
There can be truth in that though.

I have noticed it is MUCH harder for me to loose weight if I gain it now (36yrs old, post hysterectomy) as opposed to when I was in my teens or twenties.

Part of that is due to age, and the other part I think is due to surgery.

Old 03-28-2012, 06:45 AM

17,390 posts, read 16,532,427 times
I'm 46 and I have also noticed that it is much harder for me to lose weight now, and I haven't reached menopause, yet. Please don't tell me it gets even harder!

Old 03-28-2012, 07:23 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,713,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I'm 46 and I have also noticed that it is much harder for me to lose weight now, and I haven't reached menopause, yet. Please don't tell me it gets even harder!

Stop giving into the power of fear. If you think of it as "harder" its going to be harder. If you think of it as just something different you have to do to meet your goals its nothing more than change. Change is life. Lack of change is death. Its really simply you have to do this to get that. And you are already doing something now so...not a biggie. Chill.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:41 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,232,965 times
Just a comment about slowing metabolism as we age.

When I was in high school I walked 1.5 mi to and from school. Often when I got home I would ride my bicycle 6 mi to the grocery store where I worked as a "carry out" then a stock boy for 4-6 hours. At work I picked up and moved lots of 50 lb boxes. At home us kids pulled weeds by hand, helped in the garden, mowed the yard and other chores. I also began jogging, weightlifting, hiking and backpacking.

This is strictly my opinion but I think a lot of our "slowing metabolism" has more to do with our diminished activity level than the number of birthdays we have counted. For me the lessened activity had to do with new jobs, illness or injuries. The second problem was that while I was doing less physically I was still eating the same amount as I had been. Guess what? I gained weight.

Food for thought.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:26 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolobo13 View Post

When I was in high school I walked 1.5 mi to and from school. Often when I got home I would ride my bicycle 6 mi to the grocery store where I worked as a "carry out" then a stock boy for 4-6 hours. At work I picked up and moved lots of 50 lb boxes. At home us kids pulled weeds by hand, helped in the garden, mowed the yard and other chores. I also began jogging, weightlifting, hiking and backpacking.

This is strictly my opinion but I think a lot of our "slowing metabolism" has more to do with our diminished activity level than the number of birthdays we have counted. For me the lessened activity had to do with new jobs, illness or injuries. The second problem was that while I was doing less physically I was still eating the same amount as I had been. Guess what? I gained weight.

Food for thought.
I agree that I probably move less than I did when I was younger, but I don't think I do a lot less than I did in my early 40's so I don't think that's all of it. And, it's also true that I lost 10 pounds about 18 mos. ago and kept it off for almost a year. But my weight had remained pretty steady for most of my adult life and it was only as I approached 50 and menopause that I noticed how different I was starting to look and had to make some deliberate changes. My weight is creeping up again and I know what I need to do.

Again, I know that it's possible to remain thin, fit and healthy as you age, but it seems to take double the effort for half the results. But, going back to the OP, when I lost the weight it was by restricting calories (not drastically, but to about 1,600 per day) and eating more protein and fewer carbs. I learned over the course of the time it took me to lose the weight that if I ate protein and fiber I stayed full longer, but sugar left me hungry and sleepy after about an hour.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:58 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,822,493 times
Quote:
Yep it gets harder, but not impossible. Change your expectations and come to terms that it will take a little longer. I had gained 40 lbs in my 40's and the reason why it got to 40 is because I kept quitting when the weight wasn't coming off as it used to when I needed to drop 10 lbs. I would give up and make excuses, and of course gain more weight. I am not a happy person when I am even slightly overweight so suffice it to say I was miserable.
I decided once and for all I was going to make the commitment to lose the weight no matter how long it took. It took 6 months. I am 50 and in the best shape of my life (I have always been fit - except for that dark period in my 40's).
Do not let age prevent you from attaining your goals. A commitment to hard work and discipline and you will get there.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:27 AM

4,629 posts, read 4,898,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolobo13 View Post

Food for thought.
Metabolism does slow as we age. But it is a very slow process, it comes out to about 5 calories per day a year. If, when you are 20 you need 1800 calories to maintain your weight, when you are 30, you only need 1750, assuming your activity level stays the same.

That's your point though, activity levels don't stay the same as we age either

People who don't loose weight while tracking calories in vs. calories out have one of the two wrong. That's all there is to it. If they underestimate calories in, they don't loose weight. If they overestimate calories out, they don't loose weight. That's the only way people gain or loose weight. If you read between the lines, that's what that article says too...

Old 03-28-2012, 02:55 PM

17,390 posts, read 16,532,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Stop giving into the power of fear. If you think of it as "harder" its going to be harder. If you think of it as just something different you have to do to meet your goals its nothing more than change. Change is life. Lack of change is death. Its really simply you have to do this to get that. And you are already doing something now so...not a biggie. Chill.
I think I'm starting to accept that my body is different now and that if I want to get to a healthy weight it's going to require me to make some changes that I've never had to make before.

Old 03-28-2012, 03:01 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,713,966 times
Quote:
I think I'm starting to accept that my body is different now and that if I want to get to a healthy weight it's going to require me to make some changes that I've never had to make before.

Awesome. And when you get comfy with those changes you are going to look back and snicker you even gave two hoots about them once upon a time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness