Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 06:27 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,369,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer View Post
but in general other endurance athletes actually go through a 2 week taper period prior to competition. Do you know why? To recover for competition.
Don't talk down to me as if you know more than me. It's already established that you're just making things up based on your own assumptions. Way to generalize 'endurance athlete' on a '2 week taper period'. Endurance race? Endurance competition? ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2012, 06:27 PM

1,062 posts, read 2,252,446 times
Okay Mr. know it all, believe what you want and I will believe what I want and the information that I have read as well as actual training and performance that I have witnessed based on MY observations and experience.

If it makes you feel better, "elite" athletes is what I am referring to.

Old 04-14-2012, 06:29 PM

Like I said, you can't saying OLY Lifting isn't Elite and Basketball is... or Football is Elite and Hockey isn't. It's a level, not a classification standard.

I am not Mr. Know it all, I am Mr. Correcting you, the guy making assumptions based off nothing. I'm also telling you that you're observations and experiences are wrong, or you're misinterpreting them.

Old 04-14-2012, 06:34 PM

Just for the record, I have years of experience coaching "elite" and "competitive" athletes. Overtraining and burnout is a reality in competitive sports. Oh, excuse me, even "elite" athletes. Ones body adapts to the overload of workouts and the body adapts. Every athlete is different and some have more tolerance to more weeks of intense workouts 6 even 7 days a week, while others have less. Regardless, as a coach it is my job or any coaches job to have his or her athletes performing to the best of their ability.

I get on these boards to read and provide information, but from your posts I see you enjoy debates. I can do that as well, but no matter what info. I can provide and present, you will believe what you want. That is okay, like a good friend once told me "every coach has his own book". Many experts and coaches with different philosophies. Some more effective than others. Some plans just works out better for one person than another.

Old 04-14-2012, 06:38 PM

2,218 posts, read 3,453,976 times
I work out 5 or 6 days a week but I switch it out..some days all cardio, some days zumba, some days weights, etc. It works and I dont get tired of any single activity this way.

Old 04-14-2012, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightAttendant View Post
I work out 5 or 6 days a week but I switch it out..some days all cardio, some days zumba, some days weights, etc. It works and I dont get tired of any single activity this way.
FlightAttendant, that sounds like a good routine as you are not really overusing any muscles and incorporating variety in your workouts.

Old 04-14-2012, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer View Post
Just for the record, I have years of experience coaching "elite" and "competitive" athletes. Overtraining and burnout is a reality in competitive sports. Oh, excuse me, even "elite" athletes. Ones body adapts to the overload of workouts and the body adapts. Every athlete is different and some have more tolerance to more weeks of intense workouts 6 even 7 days a week, while others have less. Regardless, as a coach it is my job or any coaches job to have his or her athletes performing to the best of their ability.

I get on these boards to read and provide information, but from your posts I see you enjoy debates. I can do that as well, but no matter what info. I can provide and present, you will believe what you want. That is okay, like a good friend once told me "every coach has his own book". Many experts and coaches with different philosophies. Some more effective than others. Some plans just works out better for one person than another.
Well, by your posts it seems that you probably weren't that great at it. It also seems that you are getting most of your information from Men's and Women's health magazines.

You digress from the point I was trying to get across.. you classifying different sports as elite and not elite. If you were a 'coach' you would have probably said, "Coaching competitive athletes at levels from basic to elite".

I would not buy your book, considering you don't consider individuals competing in a sport, in the Olympics, "elite" or "competitive" by your standards.

Old 04-14-2012, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommodonahue View Post
Well, by your posts it seems that you probably weren't that great at it. It also seems that you are getting most of your information from Men's and Women's health magazines.

You digress from the point I was trying to get across.. you classifying different sports as elite and not elite. If you were a 'coach' you would have probably said, "Coaching competitive athletes at levels from basic to elite".

I would not buy your book, considering you don't consider individuals competing in a sport, in the Olympics, "elite" or "competitive" by your standards.
You are misinterpreting my posts. Of course there are elite athletes in different sports. I am not sure where you are going with it, and I really don't care as this post is taking another direction. I respect the different skills, and ability levels of the athletes in different sports. Like I posted before, you can believe, or in this case, interpret my posts any way you want. You are getting off topic.

You know nothing or very little about me, or what I have accomplished as an athlete or a coach. Quite frankly, at this point I really don't care to inform or explain as you seem to "know it all", and misinterpret my info.

I am done wasting my time.

Old 04-14-2012, 09:30 PM

12 posts, read 19,787 times
I used to run every morning. Ironically now I own a fitness equipment repair company and have less time to run. I'm down to twice/week.

Old 04-18-2012, 05:31 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,186,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommodonahue View Post
Don't talk down to me as if you know more than me. It's already established that you're just making things up based on your own assumptions. Way to generalize 'endurance athlete' on a '2 week taper period'. Endurance race? Endurance competition? ...
He guy wasn't talking down to you. He was asking and answering a question.

Losen up man..........let that stuff go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness