Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 06:38 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,339,276 times

Advertisements

So this is a muscle that I have been wanting to work out lately. I know I am being overtly self-conscious but I feel like my neck is just too skinny for its length.

I asked one of my personal trainer friends about the exercise and he had to think about it and do some movements himself for a moment. He then advised me to lay down on a workout seat (the kind that you would do dumbbell press on for instance), put a dumbbell weight on my head as it hangs off the seat and then lift my head 10 times.

Well! I took his advice and it worked!! I did the workout two days ago and sure enough I have sore muscles in my neck that I didn't even know existed.

I am worried about other health aspects to the exercise though. Right after my first set I noticed my eye sight was blurred immensely. I assumed it was a simple blood rush and nothing to worry about. I ignored it and did 2 other sets. After my third set my eyes were so blurred that I couldn't even see and normal vision didn't return for at least a minute.

I like the exercise and I think it is working, but I am worried I might be damaging my brain or something. Do you all know any alternative ways to exercise this muscle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2012, 06:53 PM

61,734 posts, read 87,147,355 times
If you do neck pain exercises to restore movement and muscle control, and experience blurred vision you should stop and contact your doctor or therapist.

Neck Pain Exercises | Neck and Shoulder Pain Exercise

Old 04-25-2012, 07:48 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,339,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
If you do neck pain exercises to restore movement and muscle control, and experience blurred vision you should stop and contact your doctor or therapist.

Neck Pain Exercises | Neck and Shoulder Pain Exercise
Lol. In that case, I will definitely not be continuing that particular exercise. I will have to find a different method of working my neck muscles.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:03 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,667,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
So this is a muscle that I have been wanting to work out lately. I know I am being overtly self-conscious but I feel like my neck is just too skinny for its length.

I asked one of my personal trainer friends about the exercise and he had to think about it and do some movements himself for a moment. He then advised me to lay down on a workout seat (the kind that you would do dumbbell press on for instance), put a dumbbell weight on my head as it hangs off the seat and then lift my head 10 times.

Well! I took his advice and it worked!! I did the workout two days ago and sure enough I have sore muscles in my neck that I didn't even know existed.

I am worried about other health aspects to the exercise though. Right after my first set I noticed my eye sight was blurred immensely. I assumed it was a simple blood rush and nothing to worry about. I ignored it and did 2 other sets. After my third set my eyes were so blurred that I couldn't even see and normal vision didn't return for at least a minute.

I like the exercise and I think it is working, but I am worried I might be damaging my brain or something. Do you all know any alternative ways to exercise this muscle?
The best neck exercise I ever came across was the old Nautilus 4-way neck machine. It was safe and easy to use. When I first started using it, I quickly gained over an inch in my neck and had to buy all new dress shirts. I don't know how many of these machines are still around. I haven't seen one in about five years.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:13 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,428,020 times
Most weightlifter dudes have thick necks, I doubt they do any isolation for it, just lots of heavy lifting and it happens naturally. I wouldn't keep doing what you are doing if you think it might be bad for you, your neck isn't something you want to screw around with.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:34 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times
Take a pillow, hold it against a wall, and push your forehead against it for 30 seconds or so. Then do the same thing with the left & right side of the top of your head. Isometrics... It gets results.

Old 04-26-2012, 06:02 AM

1,123 posts, read 6,539,028 times
If you don't have access to the 4-way machine referenced above (literally have not seen one of those in a gym in 15 years), then you can do isometrics using simply your hands as resistence. It's simply, put your right hand against the right side of your head and push, simultaneously pushing back with your head to not let it move. Do this on the other side, and then use both hands against your forehead and back of head to hit all angles. I used to do a mix of static and actual reps by lessening the pressure of my hand and letting my head move back and forth, letting the muscles contract to move my head. Hard to explain, but I think you get the idea. Another exercise is the old wrestler's bridge, but I felt like that put too much pressure on my neck.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:12 AM

810 posts, read 1,808,511 times
I have a pretty thick neck, but I didn't do any "neck-specific" exercises for it. I think they just developed in conjunction with my shoulders and back.

Old 04-26-2012, 01:33 PM

968 posts, read 2,589,580 times
I would never, ever advise anyone to do any sort of weight lifting with the small muscles in the neck.

Any type of work directly with the neck is for someone recovering from an injury or someone with a mobility issue.

Please stop now before you get hurt.

Old 04-26-2012, 01:45 PM

355 posts, read 1,115,668 times
Neck?? Errr, traps? Squat cleans and shrugs.

Other than that I'd just sit in the front row of an imax
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness