Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 04:50 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,391,115 times

Advertisements

I agree w/ ogre. and keep in mind there is no 'one size fits all.' For many years I was strictly a fitness jogger, just running long about once every 3 days and nothing else. Last 5 years or so I have entered some races and started doing speedwork (as suggested by Garfunkle), and enjoyed it greatly. It's something to consider trying if you find yourself on a plateau and feel your interest flagging.

If you eventually decide to go that route, I suggest a subscription to Running Times a great mag.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 07:05 AM

349 posts, read 616,883 times
Thank you! I'll find a speciality store (not one nearby, but that's ok, I'm within driving range of tons of shopping areas- a blessing of living in Pittsburgh) and get fitted for a solid pair of shoes. And notes definitely taken on everything else.... Im not too fond of puking (yikes!) so that'll be a sign that I'm done for the day... lol

I didn't go out last night, I was rather sore from my first run and these shoes are just plain awful, will be upgrading them this weekend

Old 06-01-2012, 09:10 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,853,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I agree w/ ogre. and keep in mind there is no 'one size fits all.' For many years I was strictly a fitness jogger, just running long about once every 3 days and nothing else. Last 5 years or so I have entered some races and started doing speedwork (as suggested by Garfunkle), and enjoyed it greatly. It's something to consider trying if you find yourself on a plateau and feel your interest flagging.
I guess I should've clarified the importance of scaling your workout in my post. Honestly I always had a hard time running for more than 30 minutes, so I like doing those intervals to get a better workout in that time. They were a great fit for me.

Old 06-01-2012, 09:20 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,934,528 times
You can always start with Couch to 5K or Couch to 10k. You can skip ahead a few weeks if they feel too easy.

Old 06-01-2012, 12:07 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,780,406 times
Definitely get good running shoes or you could cause serious injury. Also DO NOT run every day as another poster suggested. You want to cross train so you don't injur yourself.

You can add in biking, swimming or even walking. It is very important to not overwork the same muscles, and it will help you become a better runner.

Focus on your core. You may not realize it, but your core is a big part of running. Do both abs and your back. Planks are a great exercise.

You also want to strenghten your hamstrings. Do intervals, both speed and on hills. This will increase your speed, endurance, and help you lose weight!!

Old 06-01-2012, 12:58 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,780,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paint It Pink View Post
Thank you! I'll find a speciality store (not one nearby, but that's ok, I'm within driving range of tons of shopping areas- a blessing of living in Pittsburgh) and get fitted for a solid pair of shoes. And notes definitely taken on everything else.... Im not too fond of puking (yikes!) so that'll be a sign that I'm done for the day... lol

I didn't go out last night, I was rather sore from my first run and these shoes are just plain awful, will be upgrading them this weekend
Elite Runners and Walkers in Robinson is the best specialty running store in your area.

Old 06-02-2012, 04:56 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,311,710 times
Don't land on your heels. Practice form. Stretch.

Old 06-02-2012, 09:21 AM

3,360 posts, read 8,400,089 times
I've been a serious runner since the age of 15. I never alter my advice to new runners:

1. Find out the pronation of your feet and buy a GOOD running shoe which caters to your pronation style (you can Google this to find out how to do it-- takes 5 seconds). Make sure the shoes are properly fitted. Too many people wear running shoes that are too small. Your feet expand with exercise, so if you wear a size 10 street shoe, get a size 10.5 running shoe.

2. Absolutely do NOT care about distance or become a slave to the watch. Just run until you're out of breath and then walk. Then run again, then walk. Your fitness will improve and gradually you will be able to run longer with fewer walking breaks.

3. Increase your time and distance very gradually. Don't set ridiculously lofty goals like "I'll run a marathon in 3 months." Be patient.

4. Take days off. Do not run every day.

After 6 weeks of slowly increasing your ability and fitness, then you can start setting goal of distance. The main reason beginners need to start slowly is to reduce/eliminate the possibility of injury. And I will practically guarantee you, you will get injured and stop running if you try to do too much, too soon. Good luck!

Old 06-02-2012, 09:34 AM

141 posts, read 244,449 times
Since your overweight walk briskly (low impact) and then slowly start to add walk/run on a high school track(the red bouncy track).

Old 06-02-2012, 09:43 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,969,848 times
You already received great advice here, but one thing people skipped over was perhaps one of the more simple things. Don't forget to stretch really good before and after you run. It'll save your legs and muscles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness