Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 06:55 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,400,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
the sprinters are super muscular.
Because the ones you see in the Olympics are using steroids. Look at sprinters pre-1976 and you won't find a muscular one in the entire lot. Sprinters like Ben Johnson are grotesque anomalies who were 'roided out monsters. Ditto with late vintage Carl Lewis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 09:24 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,835,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
I tend to agree with the stretching. I have never done it either, though after I turned 40, I started to stretch for about 30-45 seconds after my run. I will also lay down and elevate my feet above my heart for several minutes. This reduces fatigue in your legs the next day. Some runners swear by stretching and do it religiously. Others never do it without consequence. Do whatever works for you, stretching is an individual thing.
I would never stretch cold muscles. I go at a slow pace then pick it up when I am warmed up. I do stretch afterwards though when my muscles are nice and warm. I also love the foam roller and another contraption known as 'the stick'. Those really help any kind of tightness or cramping.

Old 06-05-2012, 05:30 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,989,678 times
My biggest piece of advice: don't give up. Keep jogging/running daily. Even if you only do 1/2 mile, you're not a 1/2 mile stronger than you were before. I'm a passionate runner but even I have my days where I wake up and go "to hell with it, I'm not running today." As a new runner you will experience a lot of those days, but you just push through that. Once you get out on the road/trail/path/whatever it may suck at first but eventually you'll find a nice tempo and you'll feel even better at the end of that run than on days when you wake up and feel great.

"I run because it's so symbolic of life. You have to drive yourself to overcome the obstacles. You might feel that you can't. But then you find your inner strength, and realize you're capable of so much more than you thought."
--Arthur Blank

Old 06-05-2012, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Definitely get good running shoes or you could cause serious injury. Also DO NOT run every day as another poster suggested. You want to cross train so you don't injur yourself.

You can add in biking, swimming or even walking. It is very important to not overwork the same muscles, and it will help you become a better runner.

Focus on your core. You may not realize it, but your core is a big part of running. Do both abs and your back. Planks are a great exercise.

You also want to strenghten your hamstrings. Do intervals, both speed and on hills. This will increase your speed, endurance, and help you lose weight!!
Great advice. Yes core work is very important. The plank is a great exercise. Also I do some crunches, leg lifts, scissor kicks, bicycles, and push ups.

Old 06-05-2012, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I would never stretch cold muscles. I go at a slow pace then pick it up when I am warmed up. I do stretch afterwards though when my muscles are nice and warm. I also love the foam roller and another contraption known as 'the stick'. Those really help any kind of tightness or cramping.
I hate stretching. The only time I stretch is maybe after a run, and then only if I feel something's tight. Today my IT band felt tight so I stretched out after my run.

Old 06-05-2012, 05:44 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,391,115 times
The one core-type exercise that helped me with running more than anything was back extensions--kind of an upside down reverse sit-up

Back Extension (GHD) - YouTube

I used to have weak lower back & hamstrings, both of which are very important in running.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:38 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,934,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
Because the ones you see in the Olympics are using steroids. Look at sprinters pre-1976 and you won't find a muscular one in the entire lot. Sprinters like Ben Johnson are grotesque anomalies who were 'roided out monsters. Ditto with late vintage Carl Lewis.

Sprinters, even then, still have bigger legs than distance runners. Upper body size can be attributed to different training methods. The quads? All sprinting.

Old 05-30-2013, 12:19 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,457,559 times
Be careful running in the grass...you can't always see the holes.

Old 06-04-2013, 10:59 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,567,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Be careful running in the grass...you can't always see the holes.
Or the rattlesnakes. I have recently started jogging and I make sure to stay out of the grass. It means I run on gravel and concrete, but I'll take my chances.

Old 06-05-2013, 12:51 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,391,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeagleLady View Post
Or the rattlesnakes. I have recently started jogging and I make sure to stay out of the grass. It means I run on gravel and concrete, but I'll take my chances.
Running on concrete is the last thing you want to do. You'll destroy your knees. There has to be a better answer than that to your dilemma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness