Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 06:31 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,368,397 times

Advertisements

...to me.

Attached are BF/Weight stats and brief workout outline. Trying to stay below 148, once I start Olympic weightlifting competitions, will stay below 151. Strength went up from feb-march, and has gone up from march-> present. Fat went down, lean mass went up both times. Interesting to see what I'll be at this wednesday. Main thing I cut out was drinking excessively prior to Feb.

Here is 'Cut and Bulk' part II. I'll be getting another fat % test on May. Between each BodPod test I take, I change my diet slightly. Between March 30-May 16 (next bodpod), I changed my workout to percentages and the conjugate wave method. This time, I stuck with the percentages and max/dynamic days. I did absolutely no running of any kind. Box jumps 2x per week, 54" (at 65" height) keeping HR around 90-120.

Two, three week waves. One week of 'conditioning' in between. 4x per week; upper/lower upper/lower. Sometimes olympic style pulls + box jumps will be done on an off day.

Max Effort: Work up to 1RM (or 2RM) pyramid style. Today (Week 3 of first cycle), I worked up to 3x2: 250 (2 second pause at bottom), 3x2: 240, 3x2: 230. Week 3 of the second cycle might look like, 3x2: 260 or 3x1: 270 (2 second pause). Max effort days will be two workouts per day (usually my off day). I.e., max sq/bp/dl in the morning (0700), approx. 30 minutes... then afternoon will be assistance exercises, approximately 45m-1hr (40-60 second breaks). Lower body days may take longer, due to excessive box jumping and olympic style pulls.

Dynamic Effort: Speed days. Will use bands, 40-80lbs of tension, 'speed eccentrics' and 'accommodating resistance'. Each week will be based on percentages of a 1RM. Week 1-3 of cycle 1 may be 60-65-70, Week 1-3 of cycle 2 may be 65-75-85. Bench/DL/SQ will be 40-60 second breaks in between, 12 or 10 sets of 3. Different styles, grips, widths, etc will be used to avoid adaption within the 3 week cycle.

Completely different 'assistance' exercises will be utilized the next cycle and will not be used again until the sixth or seventh cycle of the year.

Diet consisted of chicken, tuna, eggs, peanut butter as 'staples'. For carbohydrate intake, I chose rice. I eat banana's ... two per day max. I eat broccoli (Steamed) at every meal I can. I ate breakfast sparingly and in the absence of, took BCAA's during that time, before, during and after a workout.... as well as, during periods of time that I did not eat.

Some days, I ate out....Taco Bell, Jack in a Box, Hardee's (Burgers, chicken wings, pizza... doesn't matter), late at night (one hour prior to sleeping). I have no idea exactly how many carbs I eat per day. Once I have more time (70hrs per week, masters degree, etc)... I'll start nitpicking details such as that. For the most part, I am very limited on carbohydates. I will be using CARB SLAM sometime Aug-Oct BODPOD test to see how effective that is.

I take 6000-8000MG of fish oil per day. Excessive amounts of calcium and magnesium too.

I take ice baths 2x per week, followed by Epsom salt bath. Foam roll every day, and stretch 2-3x per day, everyday. Recovery+rehab+prehab+flexibility is 80% of the equation.

edit: May 26th I'm running a half marathon in Arizona at 6k elevation. It was a bet I had with someone... and because I'm training for powerlifting, I did not train for this event. So, I'll see how this one pans out...
Attached Thumbnails
Strength is the only thing that matters...-feb-stats.jpg   Strength is the only thing that matters...-march-stats.jpg   Strength is the only thing that matters...-workoutbrief.jpg  

Last edited by td333; 05-14-2012 at 07:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 09:35 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,426,865 times
you know there are forums for powerlifters and stuff...I don't think many people on here know anything about this.

also, if strength is the only thing that matters to you, you would get bigger...you mean strength at your size

Old 05-14-2012, 09:50 PM

Don't always get bigger when strength increases (evident via my two tests in feb/march).

I only post this because it includes things that people ask about on this forum (strength gains, dieting, fat loss).

People don't know anything about this on the forum, you're right. But, they ask sometimes. I answer.

Old 05-14-2012, 09:57 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,388,646 times
Cardio is the only thing that matters.

To me.

Vive la différence.

Great to see you running a half marathon. Many people (not all) obsessed with strength training seem dismissive of cardio.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
Cardio is the only thing that matters.

To me.

Vive la différence.

Great to see you running a half marathon. Many people (not all) obsessed with strength training seem dismissive of cardio.
Yeah, this next cycle i'll be doing low intensity runs (30 minutes at certain bpm..distance doesn't matter) mixed with other general conditioning (prowler)... to see how it effects recovery.

I might run a full marathon next year...

Old 05-15-2012, 09:14 AM

326 posts, read 704,153 times
Thanks for putting together a very interesting thread - It will be interesting to see the results - I have my predictions

Lots to discuss here - but I'll just pick out two -- first - Ice baths still seem like a fad to me. It would be tough to design an experiment that eliminates the placebo factor on that one - perhaps you can give baths at different declining temperatures and see if any trends form.

Second - the marathon running. Had an interesting conversation with my brother in law about this. Apparently he is reading the work of well known runner who is also a PHD who focuses on running better - maybe someone here knows his name. Anyways, this guy believes that body type isn't a limiting factor in becoming a marathoner. It has widely been assumed that to be a good marathoner you have to be lean and primarily composed of type I slow twitch fibers. This research doesn't buy into that - that the reason we think that is because all of the muscle bound runners stick to the 1 mile and shorter events. He thinks if they focus on strength and endurance that the new breed of marathoner will dominate the records.

Personally I don't buy it - but Tommo will prove me wrong!

Old 05-15-2012, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciameriken View Post
Ice baths still seem like a fad to me. It would be tough to design an experiment that eliminates the placebo factor on that one - perhaps you can give baths at different declining temperatures and see if any trends form.
I started taking them a few weeks ago. Could be placebo effect, I can't be too sure. After a heavy lower body day, sometimes my hip flexors will be very sore. I noticed that the day after, they were fine. I have not taken an ice bath my past two lower body days, and my left hip flexor seems to be 'grinding' a bit. The ice baths do allow my legs to get completely numb in order for me to use the dense rumble roller on my legs though.

Quote:

Second - the marathon running. Had an interesting conversation with my brother in law about this. Apparently he is reading the work of well known runner who is also a PHD who focuses on running better - maybe someone here knows his name. Anyways, this guy believes that body type isn't a limiting factor in becoming a marathoner. It has widely been assumed that to be a good marathoner you have to be lean and primarily composed of type I slow twitch fibers. This research doesn't buy into that - that the reason we think that is because all of the muscle bound runners stick to the 1 mile and shorter events. He thinks if they focus on strength and endurance that the new breed of marathoner will dominate the records.

Personally I don't buy it - but Tommo will prove me wrong!
I haven't focused too much on the endurance aspect, other than 40-60 second rests between certain sets, on certain days. . . and box jumps. I do think however, strength is necessary to keep a good upright running position rather than being hunched over like grandma and grandpa.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:54 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,926,132 times
When you're doing long runs like a marathon, the guys who look like they've been starved for years will probably be the ones winning it, but you can still be big and powerlift and be able to run marathons and finish with good times. There are certain barriers, and you just won't touch the top guys no matter how hard you train. I would focus on gaining strength and size and just work on beating your own times in terms of the marathon.

Are you going to be rotating any supplements?

Old 05-15-2012, 12:36 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
for me, veins are the only things that matter

Old 05-15-2012, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
When you're doing long runs like a marathon, the guys who look like they've been starved for years will probably be the ones winning it, but you can still be big and powerlift and be able to run marathons and finish with good times. There are certain barriers, and you just won't touch the top guys no matter how hard you train. I would focus on gaining strength and size and just work on beating your own times in terms of the marathon.

Are you going to be rotating any supplements?
I'm not looking to compete for times on the half marathon, just took on a challenge from someone.

I've only been taking the prior listed uspplements, I might start rotating in some stuff for my CNS and see how that works out..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness