Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 12:48 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,838,350 times

Advertisements

I go to a private gym. After work about 545. I go home first to change, then go over to the gym. I can't do mornings. Sometimes I'd like to because it's cooler, but I need a full 8 hours to recover & I can't recover at work. I actually have the least busy time slot so I'm happy with that.

The gym provides the towels & lifting belts. I just started using gloves today & the jury is still out. I bring a small water bottle, my ipod and my iphone to record my weights. I only use my ipod during my cardio. I bring a small ice chest & leave it in the car with my protein shake, bcca & extra water for when I'm done & driving home. Clothing is basic and I rotate the same 3 outfits throughout the week, washing as needed midweek.

I train Mon, Tues, Th & Fri at the gym. I do cardio an additional 2 days a week...either outside or at the corporate gym I also belong to. We have a WOTD, and everyone lifts weights according to their capabilities. We do a lot of dumbbell work, and there are limited machines available. And I have graduated to the freestanding squat machine. There is a monitored break (usually 30-45 seconds depending on the WOTD) between sets. For some reason, the trainers like to time me. Sessions consist of 30 minutes cardio, 60 minutes weights, and then back/abd circuit for another 30 minutes. I rarely have enough time to do the back/abd circuit.

We have our 6 pm regular group, so we do have the tendency to encourage, assist/spot each other, and complain to the trainers. A trainer is always available to watch & correct my form, spot me or push me further than I think I can go. Sometimes I want to hit him (or wring his neck), and have no problem telling him so. We do have lots of fun.

Last edited by caligirlz; 07-25-2012 at 01:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 06:00 PM

559 posts, read 1,394,515 times
I've been training 3 days a week, usually after work Mon, Wed and Fri. I go with my workout written out. When I'm resting in between sets I'll watch one of the TVs or take a drink from the water fountain.

I wear sweatpants and a t-shirt. If I see someone I know I'll say hi, but I don't start converations during my workout. Occasionally someone will ask me about my routine or a particular exercise, and I'll chat with them.

I don't bring my mp3 player with me to the gym. Whatever music the gym is playing is whatever I'll listen to, but I don't really notice or pay attention to it. If I get on a cardio machine I'll bring my my headphones and plug them into the TV, but lately I've been doing cardio at home.

Usually I drink my postworkout shake on the way home. Or I might start drinking it during my last few sets in the gym and finish it while I'm stretching. If I do that I'll fill up my bottle at the water fountain and drink water on the way home.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:28 AM

810 posts, read 1,807,831 times
I like going early in the morning before going to the office. I don't really bring anything in my gym bag save for a towel, my iPod and gloves if I need it. Usually, I like wearing basketball shorts, chucks and a tank top when I am lifting, though on a dedicated cardio day I'll wear running shorts, one of those running tops that wicks sweat away and running shoes. I don't bring a change of clothes because I prefer showering in my apartment after my workout, and I usually go early enough to be able to go back home and shower before going to work.

For boxing, I usually go to the boxing gym after work. For that, usually I wear basketball shorts (though I have two pairs of boxing trunks that I sometimes wear,) a muscle shirt (or shirtless,) and wrestling shoes (cheaper than boxing boots, I won't get those until my first fight or close to it.) For that, I bring more stuff: wrap, gloves, mouthpiece. I had my first sparring session yesterday, and I used the gym's headgear, though I will eventually buy my own.

Old 07-26-2012, 04:08 PM

3,734 posts, read 4,545,485 times
I go to the gym after work, and get there by 4:15pm. I switch into my gym clothes, which I carry with me--shorts and an old T-shirt.

I do the stationary bike, treadmill or elliptical, and weights. I don't talk to anyone. I watch the news as I work out, since all the equipment has TV screens built in. The gym provides towels and I drink water from the fountain. I'm finished with my workout and out the door by 5:15-5:30pm.

During the weekend, I do a 90 min. Zumba or a cardio class, and weights.

Old 07-26-2012, 09:32 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,549,746 times
I run every a.m., very early...multitasking it with my dog walking.

I go to the gym 3-4 nights a week, after school (teacher, not student). I do 45 min. of cardio, either on my own or with a class, defending on the night, a half hour of lifting, and a half hour in the pool. I usually do the same one weekend morning or the other.

All my workouts but the pool are accompanied by music, via my iPod with Nike+ to track my workout. I drink water from the fountains.

Old 07-30-2012, 03:20 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,845,197 times
I'm a post-work visitor who wishes he had the willpower to be a morning visitor. I'm very rarely at the gym for more than an hour. On cardio days I like to push myself hard. Regardless of the cardio exercise, if I'm not drenched after 30-40 minutes then I didn't push myself hard enough. I'm the typical not-in-super-good-shape-but-pushes-hard-and-performs-relatively-well-anyway guy.

On weightlifting days I try to limit my idle time between sets by alternating muscle groups. It gets my heart rate going and I finish my routine in 45 minutes usually. I feel like I get a lot of looks when I leave 45 minutes after I arrive, but it works for me. I've learned that in general, even when walking down a narrow hallway, that gym goers at my current gym will not acknowledge my existence so I stopped trying to say hi and keep to myself.

Recently my gym visits have been supplanted a few days a week by softball and the driving range. I don't get as good a workout doing either of these but they're a heck of a lot more fun.

Old 07-31-2012, 10:09 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,967,388 times
When it comes to our CrossFit gym in general, we are one of the more laid back CF's. We have such a wide range of members, so we arent that hardcore. However, there is a small group of us that take things a little more serious and have friendly competitions with each other. The general atmosphere is very relaxed and light hearted, though that doesnt mean we arent there to work hard. I'm a very easy going guy, so I'm always cracking jokes. However, when it comes to our Olympic lifting, we do get more serious. Granted, none of us are trying to train to compete, but I love lifting and do take it rather seriously.

As far as gym attire, it's always a t-shirt with either a pair of board shorts, or basketball style shorts. I always have either a nalgene bottle of water or just a regular plastic bottle with me. I never listen to music as our music at the gym is stuff I like to listen to anyways. I never bring a towel or anything(work out in the evening, go straight home and shower), and the only accessories I use are either gymnast straps or wrist wraps.

Also, I always work out in the evening. I tried the whole morning thing one time for a month and it was one of the worst months of working out Ive had in 10+ years of working out. It just doesnt suit me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness