Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 12:56 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,369,711 times

Advertisements

I wasn't necessarily correlated that with you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2012, 01:19 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,025,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommodonahue View Post
I wasn't necessarily correlated that with you
Yeah, no problem.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:11 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,969,405 times
Quote:
Well, for the Air Force PT test, my elbows just need to hit parallel. I was at the same speed doing pushups at 94 as I was at pushup 1. AF situps are done when shoulders hit the ground and elbows touch anywhere on the leg.

I don't expect you or anyone else to believe it. They are just pushups and sit ups anyways.
actually I do believe you now since neither one of those are the proper way to do the exercise. for some reason, the military doesnt focus on the proper way to do basic bodyweight exercises(though I do agree there are more important things to get right than a pushup or situp). We've had alot of people come in to our CF gym who have been in the military and we usually have to break them of their bad habits on pushups and situps, but pushups are usually the worst.

Old 10-15-2012, 07:46 PM

How is going to parallel on the pushup not correct? I can't go any lower or I will hit my chest on the ground. Yes, I have to lock out at the top.

Also, just because you go to a CF gym doesn't mean 'the AF sit up' isn't correct. I don't think ANY sit up is correct or even a good movement for that matter, I'm just required to do them.

Also, please don't tell me the "kipping" pull up is the correct way to do the pull-up.. or high rep box jumps... or GHR situps.. or high rep olympic movements.

I've seen the way CF does pushups and trust me, I do them much better than 99% of those I see in crossfit do them.

Either way, unless I'm doing an Air Force PT test, I don't do sit ups or push ups.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:10 PM

Sorry, I sounded very hostile here.

I apologize, didn't mean it that way. I'm too lazy to edit.

Old 10-16-2012, 12:01 AM

1,338 posts, read 2,025,477 times
What's the reasoning behind the kipping pullup? Why is it held in such high regard by the Crossfit community?

Old 10-16-2012, 07:22 AM

You can do them quicker because you are using your horizontal pulling muscles as well as vertical. They are generally used when doing a workout that has a lot of pullups. Plus, in a metcon, even though you can do more at a time by kipping, it generally gives you more of a cardiovascular workout, which is what you are going for in a metcon.

Old 10-16-2012, 07:29 AM

Quote:
How is going to parallel on the pushup not correct? I can't go any lower or I will hit my chest on the ground. Yes, I have to lock out at the top.
i'm short....5'7 and when my chest touches the ground, I'm below parallel.

Quote:
Also, just because you go to a CF gym doesn't mean 'the AF sit up' isn't correct. I don't think ANY sit up is correct or even a good movement for that matter, I'm just required to do them.
the reason it isnt is because it isnt a full range of motion. We always do them with shoulder blades touching the ground and then fingers either touching the toes or just out front of them.

CrossFit Sit Up - YouTube
We usually go more out front of our feet for a more full range.
Quote:
Also, please don't tell me the "kipping" pull up is the correct way to do the pull-up.. or high rep box jumps... or GHR situps.. or high rep olympic movements.
it's not the way to do a pullup, but it is a form of a pullup that has its place, IMO. The way I usually do pullups is this....in a metcon with lots of pullups, I'll kip, but if the metcon has a low amount, I'll do them strict. For strength workouts, I always do strict.

Quote:
I've seen the way CF does pushups and trust me, I do them much better than 99% of those I see in crossfit do them.
what's incorrect about the way they do them? Most CF gyms, stress chest just touching the ground, lock out at top, with a rigid planche the entire time.

Old 10-16-2012, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcu25rs View Post
what's incorrect about the way they do them? Most CF gyms, stress chest just touching the ground, lock out at top, with a rigid planche the entire time.
As with any CF exercise.. once time comes to do a 'WOD' for 'time', form suffers greatly and it's "okaay to cheat".

Old 10-16-2012, 10:23 AM

Quote:
As with any CF exercise.. once time comes to do a 'WOD' for 'time', form suffers greatly and it's "okaay to cheat".
cool....provide proof that with EVERY CF gym and EVERY CF athlete, that across the board, everybody's form suffers during a WOD. I'll be waiting.

In the meantime, what you said might happen in a small minority of CF gyms that are ran poorly(which let me remind you, there can be bad coaching in any gym, not just a CF gym).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness