Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 06:49 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,265,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommodonahue View Post
I did HEAVY resistance training 10x per week, some days 2x per day on less than 30g carbs per day. Sundays were 'carb days'. Week of my meet, I did 30-60minutes of light cycling and walking.

Low carb for women is much harder since that is not only a source of fuel, but helps regulates hormones. A woman without carbs is worse than a woman during that special time of the month...

Mix of aerobic training, weight training and diet. Reading magazines and the internet is (like you said) quite useless.. because it makes people argue over the internet instead of trying what works for them. How do you think people did it prior to the internet being invented? Also funny considering Americans are fatter than ever, so obviously the spread and wealth of information from the internet isn't doing anybody any good.
good point about all the info, and people on average are bigger

its like playing golf, everyone's an expert, but most people arent that good
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2012, 12:32 AM

808 posts, read 1,679,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShampooBanana View Post
It's not a matter of cardio versus resistance, it's really a matter of high intensity versus low intensity. It doesn't matter what you do if you do it with a low intensity. You won't induce change or force your body to adapt.

If you want to do resistance exercise, fine, but don't use the 2lb dumbells. Those won't do anything for you. Squat some heavy weight. Increase the weight and volume, or reduce the rest periods incrementally over time.

If you want to do cardio, fine, but don't just do a slow jog barely faster than I can walk for an hour and expect much change. Build your way up to intense sprints, whether it be on the track or in the pool.

Ideally, so a bit of both. Days a intense weight training interspersed with days of intense cardio/sprinting.
You don't need to go full out with cardio to receive benefits. Interval training has its benefits but it's not some, all or nothing.

If it gets your heart rate up, that's good. It doesn't make sense to try and do some, all out weight training session, and follow it up with hill sprints. That's just gonna leave you fatigued and likely lead to an injury at some point. Sprinting isn't even aerobic. It's anaerobic.

Never listen to anyone who tells you that you HAVE to do something. It's a sure sign of a person who doesn't know what the hell they are talking about. If they did, they'd realize there are a million people in better shape than Shampoobanana who do the opposite of what he suggest. And again, that's not saying that sprints aren't good. They are, but saying don't do low intensity cardio because it doesn't work has to be from someone who hasn't been training for more than a year.

Every method is valid. Every method can get results.

Old 12-31-2012, 08:58 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,140,430 times
I have to take Toprol to keep my heart rate down. Otherwise, it could eventually wreck my heart. Most of my exercise is in a warehouse that gives me decent exercise from lifting and walking, and going up and down stairs.

Old 01-05-2013, 11:49 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,566,491 times
Quote:
I did HEAVY resistance training 10x per week, some days 2x per day on less than 30g carbs per day. Sundays were 'carb days'. Week of my meet, I did 30-60minutes of light cycling and walking.

Low carb for women is much harder since that is not only a source of fuel, but helps regulates hormones. A woman without carbs is worse than a woman during that special time of the month...

Mix of aerobic training, weight training and diet. Reading magazines and the internet is (like you said) quite useless.. because it makes people argue over the internet instead of trying what works for them. How do you think people did it prior to the internet being invented? Also funny considering Americans are fatter than ever, so obviously the spread and wealth of information from the internet isn't doing anybody any good.
Haha! Too funny ~ and, unfortunately true in my case. After several days on a severely restricted carb diet - I was NASTY to be around. And I was so tired I could barely keep my eyes open.

Old 01-05-2013, 12:06 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,745,809 times
Aerobic resistance training is the best for weight loss and fat burning.

Old 05-29-2013, 05:38 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,553,748 times
Three Reasons Why You're Not Losing Fat

Yahoo! Shine - Women's Lifestyle | Healthy Living and Fashion Blogs

....That's why cardio isn't the answer. Or, at least, it's not the primary solution. Cardio will burn calories, and weight training is more likely to burn fat. If you're going to do cardio, make it secondary to weight training.

Old 05-29-2013, 06:48 PM

1,855 posts, read 3,613,980 times
Quote:
...Olympic Weightlifting is Mon, Tue, Wed, Fri 530-7 consisting of 65%-85% snatch/c&J, 85%-110% for clean pulls/snatch pulls and the same for cl/sn deadlifts. Squats are <4 up to 90%.

Strength training is 3-4x per week usually around 9-10am. Mostly sn/cl pulls, squats, front squats, and sn/cl deadlifts. Sometimes I will cycle around noon for 30-60minutes. Prehab is 730-830 (stretching, foam roll, hot tub). I cycle instead of run because at a certain % of hr your body uses fat for energy... furthermore, running (as newjersey says) is not good for muscle retention...
Must be nice not to have to work...

Old 06-01-2013, 12:39 AM

2,916 posts, read 3,006,069 times
Men's fitness articles seem to be geared toward smaller/leaner men that desperately cling to whatever muscle mass they gain in the weight room.

Longer bouts of cardio are always seen as "bad." This is true for the 160-lb guy trying to gain more definition or muscle mass. For the stocky 215-lb guy (like me), however, we need and can often handle running the extra mile or jumping rope a few minute longer. Those of us that put on muscle and fat with ease should absolutely embrace cardio. Honestly, after seeing biometric screening results from fellow co-workers, I realized that a lot of smaller guys also need to hop on the treadmill.

Old 06-01-2013, 09:55 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,848,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoutboy View Post
If I recall correctly, he is in the military, USAF I think.

You assume everyone in the world works 9-5, five days a week? That was rare for me in the military. I usually worked the swing shift while my ship was in port, and the it is a 6 on 12 off (9 on 9 off) while at sea. Shore duty was almost always the night shift 12 on 12 off.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:01 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,372,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoutboy View Post

I work 60-70 hours per week, panama schedule and various NCO duties on my 'off days' (NCO's don't have those).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness