Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 10:49 AM

130 posts, read 504,198 times

Advertisements

I am interested in increasing my strength to weight ratio. I am 6' and weigh in at about 158. In a given week I exercise 3-4 days and will usually do one of the below activities when I exercise:

- mountain bike (anywhere from 30 mins to 2 hours each time)
- circuit with weights/plyometrics and punching a 100 lb heavy bag (30 mins)
- run (3-4 miles at a time, usually around a 8.45 minute/mile pace)

What are some ways I can increase my strength to weight ratio without jeopardizing my run times? I run more than I do the other activities and I would like that to continue to be my focus but I would like to add activities that will work on definition/toning, especially in my upper body and arms, all while increasing my strength to weight ratio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 11:31 AM

3,549 posts, read 5,387,768 times
Dead Lift, Squat, and Bench Press. Those are the biggest exercises to build an overall physique. Then of course there are a lot of isolation exercises to target more specific muscle groups.

Old 06-04-2013, 11:41 AM

10,375 posts, read 10,716,816 times
I agree with houston-dan. You need to lift heavy 3-4 days a week. Instead of the circuit, you need to do multiple sets (at least 3) with weight heavy enough that you max out at 5-6 reps. I would say split your time 50/50 between weights and whatever cardio you like. Unless there is a specific reason for punching a 100 lb heavy bag, this would probably be the first thing I would replace with heavy weights.

Old 06-04-2013, 11:51 AM

130 posts, read 504,198 times
The heavy bag was more for winter exercise as running in low temps/high winds is not fun for me. With the summer approaching I have slowly replaced it with more running but do still occasionally hit the bag. I appreciate the tips and would welcome what others have to say.

Old 06-04-2013, 01:20 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,877,428 times
It is simple; eat more and lift. Find a proven strength routine to follow, and make sure you consume enough calories to make the effort worth while.

Is there some reason why you need to stay at your weight?

What is a strength to weight ratio? What are you measuring in regards to strength to create this ratio?

Old 06-04-2013, 02:06 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,702,618 times
Eat big lift big get big.Basically heavy compound exercies with increased weights when you hit plateaus. Its what they said above me. Those circuit workouts and cardio wont increase your strength unless you are lifting heavy and to muscle failure. Endurance is endurance, strength is strength. You only get stronger by lifting heavy things. You only gain mass by eating more. You combine those two you get stronger. You can still gain strength without bulking up but its harder and takes longer. Deadlifts, squats, bench press, power cleans, dips, lunges, cable rows, barbell rows, chin ups, military press, shrugs etc. Just google heavy compound exercies.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:49 PM

650 posts, read 1,814,974 times
I agree with the Squats, deadlifts, bench press route. You are guaranteed strength gain if you do just one of those three. So do all three.

Old 06-05-2013, 08:42 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,702,618 times
and pullups

Old 06-05-2013, 11:51 AM

793 posts, read 1,422,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
Dead Lift, Squat, and Bench Press. Those are the biggest exercises to build an overall physique. Then of course there are a lot of isolation exercises to target more specific muscle groups.

And pendlay row, overhead press, chin/pull ups too of course.

Old 06-06-2013, 06:54 AM

3,826 posts, read 9,506,485 times
I do a lot of hiking/climbing and some trail running, plus I used to race bicycles in the past. So I know all about strength to weight ratio. Whatever activity you are choosing, see what the top people in that sport are doing.

I'm a big fan of squats, deadlifts and presses (personally military presses are best for me), but I only do them in the winter and early spring. Squats and deadlifts made my legs stronger, but they made me gain weight and slowed me down when I run. So they are great exercises to build "body armor" and prevent injury later in the year.

If you are looking for exercises to complement your running during the summer, go with bodyweight exercises like pullups, pushups, planks and step ups. Add a couple of sessions a week with a kettlebell and you are good to go. If you really want to get strong, also add a session of hill sprints or a very hilly trail run to your regimen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness