Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2009, 08:13 AM

259 posts, read 704,282 times

Advertisements

When I am doing strength exercises, I am always FAR more energized than when I get on a bike or jog - does anyone know why this is? Is a different hormone / cortisol / adrenaline thing going on or what? This has gotten me really curious lately and I can't seem to get a solid answer off google. Thanks for any thoughts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 11:52 AM

5,002 posts, read 12,365,410 times
If you're talking long-term effects then I can't explain for you ... either aerobics or strength training should increase your overall metabolic rate and thus increase your energy levels and cause you to eat more due to increased energy demands.

But if you're talking short term effects (like in the first hours after a workout) it's because you're not using as much energy to strength train. Aerobics are constantly working your muscles and lung capacity, which makes you drain more energy than simply lifting weights. Further, sometimes aerobic exercises last much longer, around 60 minutes or so, whereas most strength training guides will tell you 45 minutes is the maximum you should go for that, not to mention in strength training you rest up after every set (or at least you should).

Old 09-07-2009, 01:36 PM

37,626 posts, read 46,035,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emu742 View Post
When I am doing strength exercises, I am always FAR more energized than when I get on a bike or jog - does anyone know why this is? Is a different hormone / cortisol / adrenaline thing going on or what? This has gotten me really curious lately and I can't seem to get a solid answer off google. Thanks for any thoughts!
If you are looking for some scientific answer that applies to your own energy level, I think you'll be looking a long time. Exercise affects everyone differently. It would be incorrect to assume that because YOU feel more energetic after strength exercises, that every one else feels the same.

Old 09-07-2009, 10:40 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,970,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emu742 View Post
Different forms of exercise affects people differently.

Are you a male or female? My ex girlfriend would get totally energetic after her weight training sessions. It also really put her in the mood for sex but thats another story. She would go to 2 or 3 aerobics or cardio boxing classes back to back and still feel like she didnt really workout enough.

When I run, I feel incredibly energetic afterwards. After a weight training session, I am totally spent/exhausted, at least for a few hours afterwards anyways.

There are a lot of different determining factors as to why you feel more energetic after your weight session. Maybe you're not really working out hard enough. Maybe your "workout" is what others use to warm up. Have you tried working out harder? Heavier weights? When running, do you run far enough for the "runners high" to kick in? Do you run or do you just slowly jog?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness