Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2012, 02:28 PM

104 posts, read 420,934 times

Advertisements

Hello I would get to get some advice about using free weights. I'm a woman and I've lost 55 lbs this year, doing weight watchers and working out. I had mostly focused on cardio and light toning. I've recently stepped my toning up and am currently at a 12-15 lb weight when working on my arms and 25 lbs for chest.
Is it better at this point to increase my reps or increase the weight?
My main goals at this point are to tone and develop my arms and abs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2012, 02:48 PM

632 posts, read 1,031,282 times
I will say this as someone who has trained hundreds of people over the years. I have trained fighters, celebs, pro athletes, entertainers, housewives, morbidly obese and others, so I know what I am talking about. You ALWAYS want to increase the weight. ALWAYS!!! The only time reps count is if you are going for time (i.e., number of reps in a certain period of time) also known as AMRAP (As Many Reps/Rounds As Possible).

Congrats on losing the 55 pounds in 2012. That is quite the accomplishment.

Increase the weight to where you cannot do more than 10-12 reps in a set. Light weight does next to nothing for you.

Old 12-25-2012, 03:04 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,370,793 times
Girls Gone Strong. Women and female workouts, nutrition, and fitness.

Old 12-25-2012, 03:09 PM

632 posts, read 1,031,282 times
There is some really good stuff here. I especially like the bodyweight exercises.

Good stuff Tommodonahue.

Old 12-25-2012, 03:10 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,171,154 times
The problem with very heavy weights is that they thicken the body and make women look more masculine. It's great for health, but not so attractive from my point of view.

Old 12-25-2012, 03:14 PM

121 posts, read 133,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
The problem with very heavy weights is that they thicken the body and make women look more masculine. It's great for health, but not so attractive from my point of view.

This simply isn't true. Any woman that isn't taking androgens and has a normal female hormone profile is incapable of getting too bulky, no matter how much weight she lifts.

Besides, lifting heavier weight for low reps stimulates more neurological strength adaptation than it does muscle growth.

Old 12-25-2012, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capablanca View Post
I will say this as someone who has trained hundreds of people over the years. I have trained fighters, celebs, pro athletes, entertainers, housewives, morbidly obese and others, so I know what I am talking about. You ALWAYS want to increase the weight. ALWAYS!!! The only time reps count is if you are going for time (i.e., number of reps in a certain period of time) also known as AMRAP (As Many Reps/Rounds As Possible).

Congrats on losing the 55 pounds in 2012. That is quite the accomplishment.

Increase the weight to where you cannot do more than 10-12 reps in a set. Light weight does next to nothing for you.
Thank you! I usually do 2 sets of 12 for each exercise. I may go ahead and increase my weights.

Old 12-25-2012, 03:16 PM

515 posts, read 1,005,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Woof, do you know this for a fact or are you just rehashing stuff that you heard/stuff that people always say. (Take a look at tommydonahue's link)

Old 12-25-2012, 03:16 PM

Great link! Thank you.

Old 12-25-2012, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormalCarpetRide View Post
This simply isn't true. Any woman that isn't taking androgens and has a normal female hormone profile is incapable of getting too bulky, no matter how much weight she lifts.

Besides, lifting heavier weight for low reps stimulates more neurological strength adaptation than it does muscle growth.
This was my concern- I want lean, muscular arms but not bulky ones. Somewhere between Michelle Obama and Angela Bassett lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness