Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 03:05 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I hope LA Fitness fires those douchebags and pays her a nice settlement.
how much money do you figure she deserves for such trauma? i like how they included that she got psychological treatment as if anything these guys did caused that. LA Fitness offered to reimburse her for her membership and it looks like the training sessions also. she just threw in extra crap hoping to get a little payday. i hope she ends up with nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 03:25 PM

22,339 posts, read 29,439,446 times
Psychiatric and Psychological care?? Give me an F-ing break!!!

Old 02-06-2013, 03:48 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,611,310 times
I was sexually harassed by the sales manager at one gym. I'm not even talking just words, this guy was using the calipers on me to test my body fat and groped my behind. He then insinuated that we should sleep together. I didn't want to return and tried canceling my membership. Corporate would not allow me out of the contract even after telling them everything that happened. So I ended up canceling the credit card and getting a new one so they couldn't charge my card anymore.

Turned out this jerk had done this to plenty of other women. I heard a lot of stories at another gym by other women he did the same thing to.

However to say I needed psychological or psychiatric care after that would be insane. This woman is kind of going overboard to try to get more money.

Old 02-06-2013, 04:59 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,822,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
how much money do you figure she deserves for such trauma? i like how they included that she got psychological treatment as if anything these guys did caused that. LA Fitness offered to reimburse her for her membership and it looks like the training sessions also. she just threw in extra crap hoping to get a little payday. i hope she ends up with nothing.
I think they should refund her the full amount of her gym membership and offer her a year for free with a few sessions of personal training. They should fire the idiots and apologize and assure her that the staff have been trained properly.
She did nothing wrong. All she wanted to do was better herself and she was sexually harassed. Gyms are intimidating places to begin with and they are not just devoted to muscle bound meat heads. If that had happened at my gym, well it wouldn't happen at my gym, but if it did, I would sue the **** out of them.

Old 02-06-2013, 06:23 PM

17,391 posts, read 16,532,427 times
Why on earth would she go back to that gym after that trainer sent her that crude text message? I can't imagine not mentioning something that blatant to someone in charge - if not the manager at least to corporate. Even if she got another trainer, what's to prevent the creep from texting her again?

Strange.

Old 02-06-2013, 09:15 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,300,551 times
You get what you pay for. This incident references L.A. Fitness. I used to work out there a long time ago and in my opinion, it was very much the epitomy of a dou bag gym. The staff consisted of high school and college kids. In my opinion, it was a very unprofessional environment and the immature staff were lazy and would want to do as little work as possible. In my opinion, they had too many members and would give steep discounts to pretty ladies and then use them to lure men. It had a very cheap and unprofessional atmosphere. When I tried to leave, they made me mail a letter to their corporate headquarters and it had to be received within so many days or they would charge you an additional regardless of when you placed your notice to quit. These measures were deliberately in place IMHO to dissuade people from leaving. They would also attempt to sign you to long term contracts and include bogus fees to provide the impression you were getting a deal when the salesman would eliminate those fees. They had multiple televisions but would not show the World Series or other major sporting events like football on Sundays. When you asked to change the channel, they would say they couldn't and all channels were held from some corporate office. Anyway, I'm not surprised this occurred at LA Fitness. The above statements are all a reflection of my opinion and are not factual statements.

Old 02-06-2013, 09:32 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,300,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Trainers at the gyms are fairly professional in their work. And many of them have college degrees.

Not sure what was going on with that one guy, but not typical behavior from what I've seen. Usually training sessions are held in areas of the gym where there are plenty of other members working out. Or at least that's what I've always seen..
That's not true. Most trainers do not possess 4 year college degrees. If they possess any formal education, it will be a 2 year associates degree from a community college majoring in exercise science or some related field but most complete coursework from any certifying entity to receive their personal trainer license. Some of the more exclusive gyms will hire people with legitimate credentials but L.A. Fitness is not one of these gyms IMHO.

Unfortunately, you have to pay a lot of money to join a reputable gym to experience good service and be treated like a professional such as Lifetime Fitness. It's called de facto segregation. You pay a lot of money to avoid working out with the steroid raging meatheads, douchebags, high school gym rats and gang bangers.

There was a gym called the Q. They had a dress code where you couldn't wear tank tops and your shorts had to be a certain length. I didn't really care for the dress code but understood and accepted the ingeniousness behind it; it kept out the idiots. The meatheads and d-bags couldn't work out without tank tops to show off their muscles, and the hoochie mamas wouldn't come there because they wanted to wear their tight spandex to attract the d-bags. It's too bad that gym was bought out by 24 hour Fitness.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:08 PM

4,507 posts, read 4,046,465 times
She gave the guy her number so he could text her...

Old 02-06-2013, 11:41 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times
When there's enough of anything, a small percentage will be bad. Same is true for gyms.. but how often does this kind of stuff really happen? Very rare in my opinion.

Didn't read the article, but judging by the comments here it sounds more like a lawyer telling this girl what to say for a nice big fat paycheck.

Old 02-07-2013, 12:18 AM

195 posts, read 350,613 times
Assuming we are getting the whole story...

If she showed the administrator the harassing text, he needs to get fired too.

If this woman kept the harrassing email, LA Fitness deserves to lose money for ignoring her complaint. If she didn't then She is needs to find more women at that gym who were harassed also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness