Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 04:57 PM

1,483 posts, read 3,308,329 times

Advertisements

I see an adam's apple
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 05:10 AM

2,117 posts, read 5,369,711 times
ignorant

Old 02-20-2013, 04:08 PM

I think it is absurd that people say she needs to show off her stuff if she is a fitness expert.

Quote:
It is reasonable to expect to see a fitness trainers body.
That depends on what the trainer is training people for. I stated earlier that one of her stated end goals is to 'look good'. But, I explained all that up top anyways. Legitimacy is what should be expected. Legitimacy is gained from other clients, word of mouth and results. Is it reasonable to see her in something other than sweatpants and sweatshirts, yes. Does she do this, yes. Most often an individual requesting a personal trainer at a gym doesn't immediately say, "take off your shirt and pose in a bikini.. ok, you look great."

There are many personal trainers and coaches that are great at what they do, their bodies may not say it. But, that's the difference between the coach and athlete. If you don't know this, you should study more on the coach/athlete relationship. Are NFL football coaches supposed to be great quarterbacks? Former wide receivers? Glenn Pendlay is an Olympic Level 5 certified coach, but he is overweight. He's produced several national champions.

Quote:
I even took things further and stopped focusing on how I LOOKED.
That's fine and perfectly legitimate. To say that she is hiding something, is not fair.

Moving on...

Quote:
My PERFORMANCE is proof enough. - Nia Shanks
Of course. She is a lightweight-middle weight female, which in weightlifting translates to lower BF %. Middleweight-heavyweight strength training/weightlifters usually have higher BF %. But, the average person does'nt know that [http://www.allthingsgym.com/2013/02/...ifting-paper/].

It appears that she has clients and enough, to not warrant posting photos of herself in a bikini. The fact that she can pull in female clients without doing that may give leniancy to her legitimacy more than posting bikini photos. Sometimes that stuff can be intimidating to potential clients. Also, if you see her 'weighted single leg squats' youtube, she is dressed in a top and shorts that show enough to give off an image of fitness and good looks.

I don't like the layout of her website though, it's very advertisment and marketing oriented. It doesn't seem very personal. Some parts are, others aren't. It's apparently working for her though.

Quote:
she is also not required to make up a fake explanation for why she doesnt do it. but she did.
She isn't, but I also assume that someone or many people have asked her about it. Instead of e-mailing everyone or commenting, perhaps she posted on her website an answer for everyone.

Old 02-20-2013, 04:36 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,777,511 times
Yeah I don't see the point of the long explanation unless she's covering for something else. I mean, how many people can there really be "demanding" to see her in a bikini before they can believe in her? Who cares? She's obviously in shape and strong, if you want to be like her you'll subscribe to her methods. If you want to see chicks in bikinis, the Internet can hook you up a whole lot easier then harassing this one person. It would never even have occurred to me after watching any of her vids.

Old 02-21-2013, 12:03 AM

Too many posts about, 'what shes covering'.

What could she possibly be covering? A bad tattoo? Fat that obviously isn't there?

Female strength athletes have a tough time as it is, i.e., nitpicking every single thing decision they make--not only in taking up strength training, but the decisions they make within strength training itself. Nitpicking an obviously succesful female strength athlete because she posts ONE blog entry about not showing off in a bikini seems absurd.

If she was truly covering something up (again, what would she be covering up?), then she wouldn't even post a blog entry to avert attention to it in the first place.

Old 02-21-2013, 12:53 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,844,834 times
I don't find her information (the free beautuful badass email program) to be any more wonderful than any other program out there. Or better than my local program. I do find her references to stessful "OCD" eating interesting. I already do a lot of the things she recommends for weight lifting, cardio & diet, and I'm going to continue following the advice of my trainer vs some annoymous person on the internet.

All of her info, including references are available for a price. That is annoying. She is definitely on the boyish side.

However, whatever, it works for her. Good for her! If she inspires others, even more awesome.

Last edited by caligirlz; 02-21-2013 at 01:04 AM..

Old 02-21-2013, 10:21 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,713,966 times
She had a eating disorder in the past staying covered is a common practice even when "recovered".

She doesn't talk about what the cause is but it could be some sort of sexual trauma that would influence her to stay covered up and reject vanity.

My Battle with Disordered Eating - Nia Shanks

Link was in the original posted article.

Old 02-21-2013, 02:44 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommodonahue View Post
She isn't, but I also assume that someone or many people have asked her about it. Instead of e-mailing everyone or commenting, perhaps she posted on her website an answer for everyone.
it is funny how many posts there are on the issue. some people believe her and some people dont. i guess women who dont look good in a bikini take comfort in her rant since they can say "so what if i have a gut, im strong!" the rant doesnt make any sense to me. if she looked good shirtless (or as good as she thinks others expect her to look), she wouldnt be hiding it.

Old 02-21-2013, 04:12 PM

I suppose more are outspoken on certain issues.

She is pulling in clients, so whatever she is doing it seems to work. She's lifting heavy, so I'll drink the kool-aid

Old 02-21-2013, 08:11 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommodonahue View Post
I suppose more are outspoken on certain issues.

She is pulling in clients, so whatever she is doing it seems to work. She's lifting heavy, so I'll drink the kool-aid
if it helped her make money, i fully support her posting it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness