Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 12:07 PM

457 posts, read 889,779 times

Advertisements

So here's the thing. I'm working on incorporating more running into my life. I've found that it's a good way for me to clear my head and "reset" myself. Here's where the problem comes in. I absolutely cannot do the "dreadmill" and I HATE running on the road/sidewalk/whatever. It's just so boring. I absolutely love running on trails in the woods. That's my happy place.

Here's the down side. I always hurt myself, lol. Almost every time. I seriously cannot run on a trail without twisting one or both of my ankles, at least once . I just don't get it. I'll admit...I'm NOT the most coordinated person, by ANY stretch of the imagination...but seriously, it can't really be all THAT difficult. Can it?

So...for you trail runners out there that I am growing ever more envious of...please fill me in on the secret to not nearly killing myself every time I hit a trail for a run.

The boyfriend laughs at me every time I come gimping home with an injured foot and says that he doesn't understand why I haven't learned my lesson yet. My thinking is...if I keep doing it....I should get better at it. Right??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2013, 12:09 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
Can't wait to hear as this happens to me chronically as well.

Old 12-16-2013, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Can't wait to hear as this happens to me chronically as well.

It's very frustrating! At first I thought it was because I was running with my dog. So...I left him at home. Nope. Nothing to do with having him along. It's all me!

Old 12-16-2013, 12:22 PM

Then I tried being more deliberate as to where I put my feet. I had my eyes down the whole time, missing all the scenery. And I STILL would twist my foot/ankle!

Old 12-16-2013, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Then I tried being more deliberate as to where I put my feet. I had my eyes down the whole time, missing all the scenery. And I STILL would twist my foot/ankle!

Exactly!! It makes me so angry. I always do long trails (usually 5-7 miles) and do a combination of walking/running. I always seem to do fine the first half. Right about half way through is when I get hurt. Then I find myself gimping the next 2 freaking miles back to the car.

Old 12-16-2013, 12:42 PM

You get that far?
I'm out by the first 10 minutes.
Nutty because I am actually a very coordinated person.

Well, I hope someone solves this mystery.

Old 12-16-2013, 12:48 PM

Quote:
You get that far?
I'm out by the first 10 minutes.
Nutty because I am actually a very coordinated person.

Well, I hope someone solves this mystery.

LOL...not always. I usually get a slight twist somewhere in the first mile. Not enough to discourage running though. It seems that when I pick the longer trails, I get the serious "ouchie" somewhere around the point where it will do me no good to turn back. Sometimes I can walk it off and it feels ok (until later). Other times, I'm a cripple for the remainder of the trail.

Old 12-16-2013, 01:15 PM

Location: Winter nightime low 60,summer daytime high 85, sunny 300 days/year, no hablamos ingles aquí
700 posts, read 1,500,547 times
A few things about trail running:

1. Not every trail, just because it is a trail, is suitable and safe to run on.
The best trails have smooth surface with built-in cushioning. The cushioning may come from fallen tree needles, or soft\muddy ground. Example: forest trails under coniferous trees in many parts of US and Europe.
Another great trail surface is snow - not too much - 2 or 3 inches is best. Soft trail surface is a little harder to run on, but it's OK - you get a bit of extra workout, and the benefits of cushioning are outstanding.

2. The worst trails to run on have hard-packed soil and uneven surface - rocks, tree roots etc. Those trails are hard even to hike on, running on them almost guarantees twisted ankle. There are few benefits and many dangers from running on those trails.

3. Finally, a short cut grass is very good, as long as it does not have any hidden ruts\pockets\mole hills etc.

4. Shoes matter, but nowhere nearly as much as the trail surface. If you run on cushioned trails, you can pick-up shoes with lower-profile mid-sole and less built-in cushioning. On hard-packed trails you need similar shoes as those for street-running. However, due to higher profile, they are more likely to twist sideways and cause injury.

5. Technique is similar to street running, except you need to constantly scan the surface ahead to look for obstacles.

6. Finally, if you have access to nice trails that have "bad running surface", consider speed walking on them. Once you learn the speed walking technique, you can expand almost as much energy as in running, but with much less impact. Each running step is a "mini-jump", while in speed walking, just as in regular walking, you put your foot down before transferring the body weight onto it, thus reducing the chance of injury.

Old 12-16-2013, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiffrace View Post
A few things about trail running:

1. Not every trail, just because it is a trail, is suitable and safe to run on.
The best trails have smooth surface with built-in cushioning. The cushioning may come from fallen tree needles, or soft\muddy ground. Example: forest trails under coniferous trees in many parts of US and Europe.
Another great trail surface is snow - not too much - 2 or 3 inches is best. Soft trail surface is a little harder to run on, but it's OK - you get a bit of extra workout, and the benefits of cushioning are outstanding.

2. The worst trails to run on have hard-packed soil and uneven surface - rocks, tree roots etc. Those trails are hard even to hike on, running on them almost guarantees twisted ankle. There are few benefits and many dangers from running on those trails.

3. Finally, a short cut grass is very good, as long as it does not have any hidden ruts\pockets\mole hills etc.

4. Shoes matter, but nowhere nearly as much as the trail surface. If you run on cushioned trails, you can pick-up shoes with lower-profile mid-sole and less built-in cushioning. On hard-packed trails you need similar shoes as those for street-running. However, due to higher profile, they are more likely to twist sideways and cause injury.

5. Technique is similar to street running, except you need to constantly scan the surface ahead to look for obstacles.

6. Finally, if you have access to nice trails that have "bad running surface", consider speed walking on them. Once you learn the speed walking technique, you can expand almost as much energy as in running, but with much less impact. Each running step is a "mini-jump", while in speed walking, just as in regular walking, you put your foot down before transferring the body weight onto it, thus reducing the chance of injury.
I have found that my shoes definitely make a difference. The trails are pretty soft...currenly covered in pine needles and leaves. I have a pair of Minimus shoes that I've used a few times for trail running, and I tend to do (slightly) better with them than I do with my running shoes. All of my good trails are pretty rough in areas with rocks and roots. I'll go through sections of nice, smooth trail, and I think that's when I get into trouble, because if it's a good stretch, I get comfortable, hit a rock, and OUCH!

I think the other thing that gets me, is since the trails are pretty well leaf covered, it's difficult to see the obstacles on the trail. It always seems to be a hidden one that gets me. Part of the thing I enjoy about trail running is that it's more "exciting" for me, since I always have to be on the lookout. Obviously, I'm just not looking out quite enough, lol. Maybe it'll be a bit easier in the spring/summer when the majority of the dead leaves are no longer covering the trail.

Speed walking is a great idea. I don't think I would have even thought about that.

Thanks!!

Old 12-16-2013, 02:18 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,690,945 times
I didn't read the thread, and not to ask a dumb question, but are you wearing trail shoes or just running shoes? Plain running shoes are asking for trouble, IMO, especially on some surfaces. Also, the nature of trail running (uneven surfaces and often uneven lighting) begs for trouble when objects and imperfections disappear because of shade and sun. Try different sunglasses if you aren't wearing any. And obviously don't run in the dark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness