Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 11:50 PM

316 posts, read 660,857 times

Advertisements

Muscle is damaged by exercise and rebuilds, increasing its size with heavier weights to accommodate the stress it was under, hence increasing weight over time with bodybuilding.
It can also shrink, atrophy, usually what you gained from bodybuilding from lack of exercise, use it or loose it!
Fat is also burned around muscle that is exercised as well, more so with high repetition cardio exercise, but fat could never turn into muscle...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2014, 09:33 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,342,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
So someone who works out a lot a lot and is super muscular if they stopped working out they would get fat not just shrink and get thin?
Someone that is super muscular/fit just doesn't lose that muscle if that person stops working out, and it doesn't turn into fat ( it's physically impossible) that person can maintain a lean tone body with just diet . Of course, that persons muscles will not get any bigger, in fact, it will slowly get weaker and diminish (depending on his lifestyle)

A person only gets fat because that person eats more calories than he/she can burn in one day.

Old 01-04-2014, 09:35 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
I have heard it said many times that if not worked muscle will turn to fat. I'm wondering if this is literally true. Like if you have a bodybuilder with a lot of muscle who stops lifting weights, wouldn't their muscle just shrink instead of turn to fat? Like Mr.Universe would turn to Fat Albert if he stopped working out?
Yeah, there is no such thing and I wonder who perpetuates such nonsense.

Old 01-14-2014, 11:28 PM

29 posts, read 32,486 times
The short answer is “no.” Muscle and fat are two fundamentally different types of tissue, so muscle never degenerates into fat, and fat cannot be transformed into muscle.

Old 01-14-2014, 11:31 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
I have heard it said many times that if not worked muscle will turn to fat. I'm wondering if this is literally true. Like if you have a bodybuilder with a lot of muscle who stops lifting weights, wouldn't their muscle just shrink instead of turn to fat? Like Mr.Universe would turn to Fat Albert if he stopped working out?

Take a look at Arnold Schwarzenegger, that is what happens when a body builder quits being a body builder.

Old 01-15-2014, 10:17 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,208,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Yeah, there is no such thing and I wonder who perpetuates such nonsense.
If you eat more carbs than you can burn, then you will gain fat.

Its that simple to say, but hard to understand and monitor. I always end up consuming around 2500 calories but only lose like 870 calories during my 40 minute exercise. Yet, my weight has come down from before.

Living in a environment with cold winters (Upper 20's), moderate amount of fat is gained by my acclimatizing body, and I preserve some of it till winter is over to get through without shivering like crazy.

Last edited by Adi from the Brunswicks; 01-15-2014 at 10:27 AM..

Old 01-15-2014, 10:24 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
if your body starts to burn muscle (protein) as fuel you have some very very bad issues. typically the only way to reduce muscle mass is to consume very small portions of protein. this is what body builders will do once their careers are over.
what???? i don't understand how people say some of the things they say. if you have big muscles, you need to eat and exercise to maintain them. if you are a bodybuilder, you also need to continue supplementing with anabolic steroids to maintain your muscles. they don't stay as big as they are as long as you eat a lot of protein. so if you stop lifting weights, your muscles will shrink. if you stop lifting weights & maintain the same calories, you are probably going to see a muscle reduction and fat increase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness