Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2014, 10:01 AM

92 posts, read 315,860 times

Advertisements

Let me preface by saying that I do workout, but I would not consider myself a workout junky. I run about 3 times a week (~4 miles/each time), and do some minor weight training. I got into the new Wii Fit for the Wii U mainly because it's free (until the end of the month), and the balance board and fit meter are cheap to get (about $30.) I also wanted to track my weight a little better. After two weeks of usage, I may be hooked.

Wii Fit U Excersises that are the Bane of my Existence:
- The Hula Hoop (6 minutes): Abs and thighs burn like hell if you are doing this right.
- Pushup with side plank: I can generally knock out pushups pretty fast.However, what makes these so challenging, is that they make you pause at each step (ie considerable more burn.) Down-pause-up-pause-side plank-pause-return to position (repeat.) Once you advance for enough, you can do these until you cant.
- Plank: Your typical plank exercise. Your typical burn. Once you advance enough, you can do these until you cant.
- Bobsled: Burns. You pretty much sit on the board, and lean back without using your hands for support. The farther you lean back, the faster you go. You also have to lean from side to side to steer. Lasts for about 2 minutes (feels much longer than that.)
- Many of the advanced yoga ones: These actually surprised me the most. Over the course of 2 weeks, my flexibility has noticeable increased. The burn in places that dont normally burn is there.

Honorable mentions:
- Some of the dance games
- Lunge

I think one of the new things they added to the Wii Fit series is the fit meter. It's pretty interesting in that it measures the intensity of your activity outside of the game (I'm guessing through force) to determine an estimate of calories burned. It also has an altimeter to measure altitude so it can calculate a stair step differently from say a regular walk step. At the end of the day, I upload the data back to my Wii U which then shows my weight loss in comparison to activity. It's neat in that it tracks your activity (or rather your intensity) through the day.

Overall, I like it. If you stay away from the gimmicky mini-game stuff, I could see how someone could lose weight or tone up. It's easy to cheat some of the exercise, but like all things, you get what you put into it. My only dislikes are it's reliance on BMI (but you can toggle to weight.) I wish it had a way of measuring body fat percentages as well.

Anyone else use it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness