Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 07:14 PM

294 posts, read 542,738 times

Advertisements

true I never intended on cutting carbs (or what I thought was carbs) forever, I just thought that was what shrunk the belly fat faster and if I got it down pretty goodalong with building muscle I could slowly start introducing them again...I just am going on a whim though I have no real diet plan just kind of eating what I thought was healthy and not eating bread pasta potato or processed junk food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2014, 07:15 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vabuda1 View Post
Thanx to everyone!! ruth4truth what do you mean weight circuts?? Like what I have been doing?? Also good o know on the fruit being starchy etc..I more meant no bread or pasta or potatoes..didn't realize the fruits weren't helping I like the diet modification you gave though..I will def try that!! I actually had a hamburger with lettuce and tomato NO bun it was good. But I like the breakfast ideas because that's my hardest meal.
I mean, be sure to exercise upper and lower body, a full routine, at least 3 x/week. If you want to mix in cardio, fine. In order to lose weight and get lean, you don't need to do more than 3x/wk., and then walk, bike or do some other cardio activity the other days. You don't have to kill yourself with exercise, like make yourself sore. That's not necessary.

What others have said is true, you don't HAVE to cut carbs to see progress. But you'll progress a lot faster if you do the low carb/higher protein route. You'll progress fast enough that the momentum will give you encouragement to stick with it. Since you started out that way, I just gave you some guidance on how to do low-carb optimally. But if you don't mind more gradual results, you don't have to get that radical. If you're prone to belly fat, though, low-carb is the best way to go.

Let us know how you do.

Old 03-13-2014, 07:19 PM

3,063 posts, read 3,272,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It takes time to get results, you only just started. Give it a month, and see if you notice a difference. (You will, if you're doing everything right.)

Fresh fruit AND a banana + an apple + grapes is FAR from "no carbs". Bananas are one of the starchiest (= carby-est) foods known to man. Snack on cheese + a couple of crackers or thin apple slices, instead of the banana. Fresh fruit is very high in carbs (fructose), too.

Better version of your diet: omelette with yellow squash slices, onions, cheese. 2 whole eggs, + 2 egg whites.

With that much protein, you may not need a snack. If you do, make it 3/4 cup cottage cheese. (This has a few carbs.)

Lunch: turkey, cheese, cucumber, tomato + lettuce "breadless sandwich". (Extra fiber from the cucumber & tomato helps fill you up.)

Dinner: Chicken or fish or hamburger patty with a veggie. Salad w/mixed greens & raw brocolli/sliced red cabbage/cauliflower (choose one), feta cheese, oil & vinegar dressing w/garlic or green onions in the dressing. (Fiber from salad helps fill you up. Salad greens and cabbage have no carbs. Root veggies (carrots) have carbs. Avoid.)

alternative lunch or dinner: 4 oz. of tuna for tuna salad stuffed in 1/2 avocado (avocado has carbs)

You can have a few carbs (as outlined ^^), but multiple servings of fruit in 1 day is too much. Fructose provokes an insulin response, and insulin causes you to turn calories into fat. Keeping carbs to a bare minimum is essential.

You'll be hungry on a low-carb diet like this the first week or two, then you body will adjust, and you'll feel full after each meal.

** When you reach your goal, gradually increase carbs over a couple of months. To maintain your weight loss, you'll have to continue with the high protein, modified carb ratio the rest of your life. This is healthy eating! You'll be able to increase your carbs to a moderate level and still be ok. (i.e. 1 slice toast with your eggs, 1/2 apple for lunch w/your chicken, cottage cheese snack, rice with dinner, or beans in your salad, or a whole artichoke with dinner.)

Be sure to do a weight training circuit at least 3 x/wk. to build lean muscle mass. This helps you lose weight.

To you. Not to me. I eat fruits, and grains at a moderate portion, and when I want to, and I eat the recommended amount of protein and fats per day. When I crave a sweet treat, or a slice of pizza, I eat it. With no guilt. I work out 5-6 days out of the week, 2-3 days heavy lift, 2 days cardio, and 3 days of circuit training. I like my body and I'm in great shape. If this diet works for you and is acceptable for you in order to feel healthy then that's great, but I want to emphasize that this is not the case for everyone. What you listed does not sound good to me(gross actually lol) and I would not cut out food groups--like fruit--if I enjoyed this food group and knew that in the future I would want to continue eating it. It's about moderation and realism. One banana, with some nuts, or another form of protein will certainly not hurt her. In fact, my belly was very flat last year when I was eating 1 banana on the daily basis. I didn't have sugar cravings after eating the banana, nor did it impede my weight loss, or anything. I've cut out fruits before, and I've down the low-carb thing and achieved the same results. So for me, doing either would have worked for me to get the results I wanted. But I chose the method that was realistic and more importantly something I would at the very minimum tolerate.

The problem with dieting, is that too often people make radical drastic diet decisions cutting out tons of foods, even food groups that in moderation are not harmful, and in the short-term they are able to do so and they'll achieve results, but over time they might want that particular *food group* again. Then what?

The OP's problem isn't so much the fact that she's eating too much fruit, but that it's only been a SHORT period of time. She will get results if she sticks through it and gives it 3-6 months. But in order for her to go that long and see the results that she wants to see, she needs to be able to do something that is realistic and that will work for her not only over the next 3-6 months but for the rest of her life. IF low-carbing and following the menu that you ascribed is something she can do forever than yes by all means that will be HER version of healthy eating. But please don't post your menu and act as if it is healthy eating for other people that have a much different perspective about food. There are many people who would look at your list and say "crackers, really? or "tuna--really"... I'm sure you get my drift.

The OP needs to find a diet regimen that works for her, and that doesn't bind her into a lifestyle that she would not be able to continue over the long-term. When I was going through that process, and getting advice, I always considered what was doable for me over the long run and what I could *live with*.

My sister is doing Paleo and was already thin in the first place, she has lost a significant amount of weight in the last 6 weeks. She has constantly asked me to join her. I haven't. Her lifestyle is VERY healthy, but healthy for her and right for her. Not me. The OP will have to figure out what is healthy and right for her to do for essentially the rest of her life. I wouldn't personally advise anyone to cut out a piece of fruit everyday(if they wanted it) but to each their own.

Old 03-13-2014, 08:23 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,307,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vabuda1 View Post
Well not so much in a rush..I only want to lose MAYBE 10 more lbs..I actually think my 'size' is fine I just can't deal with the flab overhang and the jiggle of the inner thighs lol. My arms re alreayd nice and toned up as are most of legs just not the inner thigh area. I never had to do abs before because I was always naturally slim..but again def NOT the case anymore. Like when I do planks my whole tummy seems to 'hang' not ridiculous but enough to make me want to get a mini tuck (just kidding) I just don't know if it actual fat or maybe skin being stretched too far after babies??
When women have belly jiggle that wont leave from having kids, its uusally time for lipo. SOme body fat
is just not going away

Old 03-13-2014, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
When women have belly jiggle that wont leave from having kids, its uusally time for lipo. SOme body fat
is just not going away
Why? Is it related to hormonal changed during pregnancy?

Old 03-14-2014, 12:39 AM

2,170 posts, read 3,307,837 times
Quote:
Why? Is it related to hormonal changed during pregnancy?
Sometimes that area under the naval after stretching to have kids just becomes resistant to exercise and will remain eternally soft. No shame in it, its available in todays world so might as well take advantage of it

Old 03-14-2014, 08:43 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,820,647 times
Quote:
I mean, be sure to exercise upper and lower body, a full routine, at least 3 x/week. If you want to mix in cardio, fine. In order to lose weight and get lean, you don't need to do more than 3x/wk., and then walk, bike or do some other cardio activity the other days. You don't have to kill yourself with exercise, like make yourself sore. That's not necessary.

What others have said is true, you don't HAVE to cut carbs to see progress. But you'll progress a lot faster if you do the low carb/higher protein route. You'll progress fast enough that the momentum will give you encouragement to stick with it. Since you started out that way, I just gave you some guidance on how to do low-carb optimally. But if you don't mind more gradual results, you don't have to get that radical. If you're prone to belly fat, though, low-carb is the best way to go.

Let us know how you do.
Cutting carbs does not make you lose weight faster. There is no peer reviewed scientific data to back up the claim that low carb cuts belly fat.
If cutting carbs is easy for someone to do and they can make it work for them in the long run by all means, cut carbs. But a saner approach is one that someone can live with. Calorie deficit is how people lose weight regardless of what they eat.
People will lose weight where they are genetically prone to lose weight, not because they ate a certain way.

Old 03-14-2014, 09:40 AM

294 posts, read 542,738 times
Quote:
is just not going away
well that's where I'm not sure if it is truly from having kids or just fat..because it isn't only below the belly button although that area tends to 'pooch out' more I do have jiggle above naval and on sides. Not a MAJOR amount but enough to where if I wear jeans I have a muffin top. I know I will prolly never have a 6 pack which I am okay with but I'd like to have flat stomach so I can wear a swimsuit without sitting down and looking like I have rolls for days.

Old 03-14-2014, 12:52 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,770,002 times
Quote:
Sometimes that area under the naval after stretching to have kids just becomes resistant to exercise and will remain eternally soft. No shame in it, its available in todays world so might as well take advantage of it
Yup, Jack. The liver (or who knows what) decides WHERE to take the fat it burns..and it doesn't ever burn loose skin!

Lippo or maybe even new laser procedures that stimulate the sub-layers under the skin may help. I am not a dermatologist, but one may be able to help here.

Old 03-14-2014, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Cutting carbs does not make you lose weight faster. There is no peer reviewed scientific data to back up the claim that low carb cuts belly fat.
If cutting carbs is easy for someone to do and they can make it work for them in the long run by all means, cut carbs. But a saner approach is one that someone can live with. Calorie deficit is how people lose weight regardless of what they eat.
People will lose weight where they are genetically prone to lose weight, not because they ate a certain way.
It's not about counting calories anymore. Not all calories are equal. Cutting carbs not only prevents fat buildup (by avoiding excess insulin production), it forces the body to burn fat. Some constitutions are more prone to building up belly fat than others, depending on how other aspects of the endocrine system balance out the body's insulin production. If someone is somewhat thyroid deficient, for example, they're better off on a low-carb diet. A tendency toward an apple shape, vs. pear or hourglass, can be one indication of a body with some type of thyroid issue.

But the OP said her belly fat was mostly due to pregnancy weight gain. We don't know what her pre-pregnancy body type was. But sure, she should do whatever type of diet she's comfortable with. If she's fine with exercising 5+ days a week, like she has been, she can do a calorie-deficit diet, and burn calories through all that extra exercise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness