Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 08:08 PM

398 posts, read 746,911 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

Was wondering if you can help me out! All my life I have been super skinny but not until 3 years ago I lost weight due to stress (about -15 pounds) and work.. not eating properly, etc. so I look 100x's worse now! I'm SO desperate to gain weight and don't know what to do. Contrary to everybody else, I cover up myself in clothes because I think I just look sick in tank tops and shorts. It doesn't help that my metabolism is extremely fast as well. I've been the type that easily lose weight and hard as hell to gain I know I should stuff my face with carbs (pasta/bread) but I just don't like to eat those things often. My friend also told me she drank 3 ensure/day (1 with every meal) and I tried that for about a month and didn't see anything change so I stopped.. but she swore she gained 10 lbs by it.

Not sure what to do and looking at myself in the mirror makes me depressed

Anyone have any recommendations? I'm seriously desperate at this point. And no, nothing is physically wrong with my- I don't have a hyperactive thyroid, etc. I just can't gain weight for the life of me!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 08:15 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,004,356 times
Why don't you start lifting weights? You'll see the results immediately because you're so lean. I agree that skinny with no muscle can be sick looking, but skinny with muscle looks fantastic.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:18 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,739,979 times
You have to find out what your body likes. First and foremost you need to get calories in, but like you said, you need to eat the proper calories. Ditch the grains (wheat, rice, etc) they cause leaky gut and destroy gut flora, grains make it hard to actually digest your other food (which is why skinny people can generally eat a lot and not gain weight). If you want to gain you need to eat. Change your lifestyle and get motivated about food. Eat the right foods and alot of them. Meat, fish, eggs, hard cheeses, honey, fruits, veggies, etc. Count those calories and make sure you are eating more than your daily recommended intake. It depends on your weight. Use this to calculate your average daily calorie intake, then click on gain weight button, and eat those cals (for me it's increased to 3000 cals a day if I want to gain, up 500 from the maintain status). http://www.calorieking.com/interacti...u-eat/?ref=nav

Lift weights, low reps high weight and allow your body recovery time, only workout 2 times a week, no more. Good luck.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:21 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,004,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
You have to find out what your body likes. First and foremost you need to get calories in, but like you said, you need to eat the proper calories. Ditch the grains (wheat, rice, etc) they cause leaky gut and destroy gut flora, grains make it hard to actually digest your other food (which is why skinny people can generally eat a lot and not gain weight). If you want to gain you need to eat. Change your lifestyle and get motivated about food. Eat the right foods and alot of them. Meat, fish, eggs, hard cheeses, honey, fruits, veggies, etc. Count those calories and make sure you are eating more than your daily recommended intake. It depends on your weight. Use this to calculate your average daily calorie intake, then click on gain weight button, and eat those cals (for me it's increased to 3000 cals a day if I want to gain, up 500 from the maintain status). CalorieKing - How Many Calories Should You Eat

Lift weights, low reps high weight and allow your body recovery time, only workout 2 times a week, no more. Good luck.
Why would he/she do low weights high reps only 2 times a week? That will do nothing. They should aim for heavier weights to build some muscle. It's less aerobic, too, and won't cause them to burn off as many calories.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:25 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,739,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
Why would he/she do low weights high reps only 2 times a week? That will do nothing. They should aim for heavier weights to build some muscle. It's less aerobic, too, and won't cause them to burn off as many calories.
Reread my post, I said low reps high weight. Only 2 times a week, muscle only builds during recovery, if you workout and your muscle has yet to rebuild you aren't making gains. 2 times a week if you are doing heavy lifting with low reps. Personally, I have a 4% BFC, and my body looks and feels great. I workout once per week and my muscles are sore all week.

Old 03-26-2014, 12:07 AM

3,158 posts, read 4,593,550 times
Start lifting weights! I use look way skinny, it has really help me build muscle tone and I look more filled out...

Old 03-26-2014, 04:11 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,351,403 times
Just eat a lot more of the foods you like to eat and you'll eventually gain weight.

If your going to lift weights/exercise and not enough, well, you're wasting your time; you're not going to get bigger .

Old 03-26-2014, 06:02 AM

398 posts, read 746,911 times
Yeah, everyone tells me to start working out but if I do so, wouldn't I just look all musclely and gross?? (I'm a girl btw) Ijust want to gain weight first THEN workout to tone down...if I start working out now with no fat on my body, i think ill just look really ripped which is so unattractive

P.s. don't eat rice? Ahh it doesn't help that I'm Asian! Lol :'(

Old 03-26-2014, 07:09 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,351,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.Uni View Post
Yeah, everyone tells me to start working out but if I do so, wouldn't I just look all musclely and gross?? (I'm a girl btw) Ijust want to gain weight first THEN workout to tone down...if I start working out now with no fat on my body, i think ill just look really ripped which is so unattractive

I know how you feel (I'm Asian, too) when I did away with rice many many years ago, it was difficult (growing up on it) but I was going on a diet; youre not. I say keep eating rice.

As far as looking ripped from lifting weights; cross that bridge when you get there, because its going to take a very long time

Old 03-26-2014, 08:24 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,818,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.Uni View Post

I love how people think they can accidentally become ripped by working out. It takes A LOT of hard work and meticulous counting calories/protein/etc, and eating 5-6 meals per day! It doesn't just happen by going to the gym a few days per week. Also you're female (Korean?), so you won't produce enough testosterone to get ripped without taking steroids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness