Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 03:53 PM

390 posts, read 825,947 times

Advertisements

I have struggled with being fat my entire life. I did everything from crazy dieting to interval training to hours of cardio a day, but I could never seem to get below 25% bodyfat. When I started weight lifting, I was able to get down 20% bodyfat eventually (after my first cutting cycle). Weight lifting, when done with proper form, is also insanely good for pretty much every system in the body, as well as the brain. Squats, deadlifts, and bench presses are something everyone should do! Weight lifting gave a huge boost to my energy levels and mental acuity. I am following the Starting Strength program, just FYI.
You can certainly learn the proper lifting form on your own, but honestly it can be difficult. I injured myself several times attempting to learn on my own (this was doing heavy lifting, though, as in over 200 pounds). I'd recommend finding a good coach or personal training to get you started. Once you learn how to lift properly, you could probably start just lifting on your own. And also listen to your body! If you feel sharp pain or extreme discomfort, stop! I ignored sharp pains when doing bench pressing and overhead pressing, and probably permanently screwed up one of my shoulders to the point that I can't even do push ups anymore (I may get surgery to correct the issue - I had a pre-existing shoulder condition that lifting exacerbated)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2014, 03:53 PM

17,577 posts, read 39,262,106 times
The solution for me was buying a "Total Trainer" machine. I am 64 with some back issues, and loved my bike riding which I do a lot of. But I wanted some weight training again but without the hassle of driving to the gym. For me this machine is the ticket. It is amazing how many good exercises can be done on it. I love compound exercises like modified pullups, chinups, rows (and more) and I am able to do those on this machine because as you move the glide board up or down a notch you can increase or decrease resistance. I also mix this up with some dumbbell exercises, and squats (no weights) lunges, etc.

I really enjoy this routine which I do 4 days per week in the comfort of my own home to my own music and at my own pace. For those intimidated by the gym, I highly recommend!

I do think I will eventually go to the gym and get a trainer because I would like to eventually lift heavier weights using barbells, etc. I just need to feel as strong as possible due to my back issues.

Old 03-29-2014, 03:57 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,249,655 times
I try to lift heavy. I give it my best shot, But for some reason, My body just cant lift more than 120 lb (at 24 repetitions) .

Its important for me to keep my reps high. Because my aim is pure weight loss with minimal muscle building. I tried running and cardio. It didn't work well at all for my weight loss, so I turned to weights. Now, at least I can see results.

Plus I try to eat less nowadays as well. As a 21 year old guy at 6'0.5", I consume around 1600 calories per day (will cut down more if required).

But you seem to be a very fit runner, and so moderate weights are preferred. Perhaps 100 lb squats should be enough to strengthen your leg muscles optimally, and the rest can be achieved through running.

Last edited by Adi from the Brunswicks; 03-29-2014 at 04:17 PM..

Old 03-29-2014, 04:46 PM

25 posts, read 54,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
I try to lift heavy. I give it my best shot, But for some reason, My body just cant lift more than 120 lb (at 24 repetitions) .

Its important for me to keep my reps high. Because my aim is pure weight loss with minimal muscle building. I tried running and cardio. It didn't work well at all for my weight loss, so I turned to weights. Now, at least I can see results.

Plus I try to eat less nowadays as well. As a 21 year old guy at 6'0.5", I consume around 1600 calories per day (will cut down more if required).

But you seem to be a very fit runner, and so moderate weights are preferred. Perhaps 100 lb squats should be enough to strengthen your leg muscles optimally, and the rest can be achieved through running.

Adi....you seem to be doing an opposite approach. As a male, if your taking in only 1600 calories, while lifting weight. You're not giving your muscles the fuel to repair and grow. You need to eat more. Im 6'0" 200lbs and if i were to sit on my ass all day I would still burn over 2000 calories. I would suggest eating more and lifting heavier. 3 sets, 8 reps where the last few reps you fail to push/pull the weight anymore.

As for OP, I find that guys in the gym who are gawkers, are at the gym just to say they're "at the gym." When I workout, I only notice people who get in my way. Im in a zone. You should do major exercises at the beginning like someone previously posted. Bench press, dead lifts, Squats. Why? Because they use so many muscles for one lift. Form is everything!!

Old 03-29-2014, 06:08 PM

42,013 posts, read 75,416,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
Yoga has TONS of benefits!!

However please don't try and justify yoga replacing the benefits of squats, deadlifts, or bench press for building overall muscle mass.
You try holding a plank or chair pose for 3 or 4 minutes and get back to me.

Old 03-29-2014, 06:19 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,044,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collins2209 View Post
Adi....you seem to be doing an opposite approach. As a male, if your taking in only 1600 calories, while lifting weight. You're not giving your muscles the fuel to repair and grow. You need to eat more. Im 6'0" 200lbs and if i were to sit on my ass all day I would still burn over 2000 calories. I would suggest eating more and lifting heavier. 3 sets, 8 reps where the last few reps you fail to push/pull the weight anymore.
Adi, I definitely agree with this advice. If you can only lift 120 lbs (I'm guessing you're talking benchpressing here) I recommend you take Collins' advice and go the 3x8 route with a slightly heavier load. I also like descending sets. Start at about 6 reps, but push yourself to work a heavier load. Do you 6 reps, then 5, 4, 3, 2, 1. I also recommend trying to repeat this with a lighter load. Eventually you'll find you can do the second set with as much weight as the first. As you increase your strength you'll be able to add weight to the first set, then again to the second, and so on. Do this alternately with the 3x8 method and I think you'll see your weight increase. More importantly your strength will increase.

Also, mix in dumbbells as a substitute for bench pressing. Dumbbells force you to concentrate harder on core and balance while you work. Don't neglect incline and decline while you're at it!

Old 03-29-2014, 07:13 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,609,717 times
Get a kettelbell, that'll get you fit and strong.

Old 03-29-2014, 07:58 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,743,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
LOL! As if long distance running doesn't sculpt this body, build muscle, increase metabolism and give you confidence? The statement is patently absurd.
Long distance running may build a very modest amount of muscle compared to being sedentary, but no, it doesn't really build muscle for the most part. Since it doesn't really build muscle, it doesn't really sculpt that well. Cardio is great for fat loss, circulatory system health, and energy, etc. but when it comes to body composition it's not going to do all that much for you aside from helping to keep your body fat low.

My girlfriend's cousin was a very avid runner. She was naturally very skinny and had very low body fat, but her body shape wasn't that great because she had a slender frame. She started lifting weights about a year ago and the transformation has been remarkable, she looks way better now than she used to. Her arms, butt, core, etc. have a lot better shape now. She regularly posts before after pictures on Facebook and the difference is night and day, and her confidence is far higher. She will never go back to just running and if you saw the pictures it's pretty clear why.

Cardio is great for a lot of things, but how many distance runners have you seen with a body like this?

Moderator cut: image removed

Last edited by Marka; 03-31-2014 at 02:13 AM..

Old 03-29-2014, 08:48 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,947,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
You won't stick with strength training if you dislike it.
The same is true of any exercise you don't like. And you can't know whether you'll like it unless you give it a try.

Old 03-29-2014, 09:08 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,645,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
You try holding a plank or chair pose for 3 or 4 minutes and get back to me.
degree of perceived difficulty doesn't always mean anything. Planks and chair poses are isometric, meaning your not actually moving. By doing that you are only building strength in the one position, your muscles aren't getting stressed under their full range of motion, or under any motion at all.

Those may be difficult, but they won't produce anywhere near the same results as barbell training. Nor will yoga, I can't believe anyone would try to seriously compare the two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness