Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 06:06 AM

3,549 posts, read 5,386,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
You try holding a plank or chair pose for 3 or 4 minutes and get back to me.
Haha, try doing 12,000 jumping jacks, then get back to me.

Try standing on one leg for 30 minutes, then get back to me.

Try holding your arms out straight, for 3 hours, then get back to me.

Just because something is difficult, it doesn't mean it is muscle building. Or at least, it is an "ideal" way to build muscle.

The poster asked about weightlifting and building muscle. Lifting weights is hands down, the best way to build muscle.

You obviously known nothing about bodybuilding, but you might know enough to know that bodybuilders are the most muscular people on the planet. In terms of muscular size and proportions. They LIFT WEIGHTS. You will never see a bodybuilder say "a plank is the staple of my program" or even yoga, or cardio. They ALL do low intensity steady state cardio (because it's not muscle wasting like high intensity) and they all lift WEIGHTS a ton of weights.

That girl that was posted in the picture above, that's Michelle Lewin. She lifts. HARD. She squats, dead lifts, everything. I see her instagram all the time, she's a workout freak and a fitness celebrity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2014, 02:55 PM

42,004 posts, read 75,373,190 times
The OP did not ask about "bodybuilding".

Lifting weights does not appeal to the OP.

The OP likes yoga and running.

Anyone have any brighter ideas, aside from projecting your own fantasies upon the OP?

Old 03-30-2014, 03:41 PM

843 posts, read 1,435,874 times
Can't forget one thing about all this "how will I look if I run/do yoga/weight lift etc" GENETICS!

Old 03-30-2014, 04:39 PM

10,375 posts, read 10,711,260 times
Quote:

Anyone have any brighter ideas, aside from projecting your own fantasies upon the OP?
The OP asked about weightlifting. She finds weightlifting intimidating. She said that running and bodyweight exercises are not giving her the results she is looking for so she is wondering about weightlifting. I don't think the OP mentioned yoga.

Most people here have tried to give some responses to her questions. I don't thiink anyone was projecting fantasies upon the OP.

I belonged to a yoga studio for awhile. I was hoping it would help with back pain issues. I found it challenging because I'm not that flexible. I would still go to the gym after the yoga class to lift weights. I didn't find yoga to be a replacement for lifting weights.

Old 03-30-2014, 04:57 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,035,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
The OP asked about weightlifting. She finds weightlifting intimidating. She said that running and bodyweight exercises are not giving her the results she is looking for so she is wondering about weightlifting. I don't think the OP mentioned yoga.

Most people here have tried to give some responses to her questions. I don't thiink anyone was projecting fantasies upon the OP.

I belonged to a yoga studio for awhile. I was hoping it would help with back pain issues. I found it challenging because I'm not that flexible. I would still go to the gym after the yoga class to lift weights. I didn't find yoga to be a replacement for lifting weights.
At my gym they offer a stretch class. It's not yoga based and involves a lot of foam rolling, use of a LaCrosse ball for rolling, straps, etc. You should see if a similar class is offered in your gym. It has worked wonders for me in recent weeks as I am trying to work around a knee injury. It's certainly not a replacement for strength training (I'm not certain how anyone could argue such a class is). Rather it is something to incorporate into your weekly regime in order to work out stresses that build up in your muscles throughout the week. If one is available in your gym and you are able to attend, I highly recommend you do.

Old 03-30-2014, 05:20 PM

46 posts, read 51,636 times
Go for the weights and still get your cardio fix. I am 5'4" and 145. I am down from 188 a few years ago. I could do cardio (elliptical) every day for 45 mins and barely budge the bulge. Once I picked up the weights, it all started coming off. I didnt like weightlifting either, but now i love it. A lot of it is mental. You can still get a cardio workout with weights. Just don't rest a lot between sets. I also still do cardio several times a week by doing the stairclimber (talk about mental challenge!!) for 25 minutes and then weights. It has really helped me change my body comp.
Also, about the grunting and guys. I grunt and strain and it's ok. The guys love it when I talk to them and ask advice. And they are ripped and cute. Just smile.
Lastly, if it's a gorgeous day and you want to run, do it. Follow up with weights the next day.
You won't regret it. Don't let your mental insecurities get in the way of your goals.

Old 03-30-2014, 05:49 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,667,036 times
The more muscle we carry the more calories we burn at rest. It doesn't have to be weights, just resistant training. I like both. OR do swimming. Best of both worlds.

Last edited by mikestrong; 03-30-2014 at 06:06 PM..

Old 03-31-2014, 05:25 AM

3,549 posts, read 5,386,529 times
Quote:

Bodybuilding was used as an example because bodybuilders have the most muscle, so, obviously, what they do is the most ideal way to build muscle.

I would love to see a picture of yourself as an example of how yoga can build muscle? That would give you more credit here if you could show how your advice of doing yoga can be used to build muscle. Nothing better than first hand experience, right?

Just because she likes yoga and running, she is interested in the best way to build muscle. I am baffled how I am even having this discussion with you. Please stop derailing the thread.

Old 03-31-2014, 06:24 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,242,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collins2209 View Post
You need to eat more.
I am a South Indian Hindu vegetarian. Our caste prescribes avoiding any consumption of eggs, meat, seafood, and mushrooms. Its mainly my diet that makes me feel so weak, since our foods have very little protein by prescription. Our food is limited to only rice, rotis, pulses, milk, fruits, and spiced veggies. Its increasingly difficult for me to find the right things to eat for muscle building. I am not giving up my religious beliefs for muscle building, so tell me what to do.

Around 170.5 lb with heavy muscle is the ideal view for my body. I am right now at 180.6 lb, with tough leg muscles but nothing else. I tried pushing myself, but saturate at 145 lb (doing 8 reps), and that's just once. My only source of fitness pride is doing 320 lb leg presses .

Last edited by Adi from the Brunswicks; 03-31-2014 at 06:44 AM..

Old 03-31-2014, 07:46 AM

46 posts, read 51,636 times
As far as yoga goes; I practice two hours a week. Great for balance, allowing your mind to "tune in" to your muscles, elongating muscles (stretching). Building muscle - changing body comp? Nah, not so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness