Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 01:33 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,350,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Look at the Collage video website. They have a huge collection of DVD's with many geared to older people who may have balances issues, back pain, etc. Also, all the videos are rated by exertion level and difficulty. You can find the Leslie Sansone DVD's there, mentioned upthread, as well as others.
The Collage website seems to be defunct. Any links?

http://www.collagevideo.com/exercise...cise-videos-30
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 06:43 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,801,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
Great idea for someone younger, Stepka. She's 82 & in a very small flat. I'd be afraid to let mini-mum bounce around like Cirque de Soliel in her living room. I can hear the phone call now... 'Your mum has splatted all over the ceiling'.

Maybe instead of walking in place, I'll tell her to put on her Walkman tape & march all over the apt, like we kids did when we were little & she told us to cut it out.

How do you like your rebounder? May I ask, did you get it for building strength/cardio, balance or losing weight? Will you substitute it with walking outside instead in the spring?
Actually Patanjali, it would be good for her at her age since she would not have to bounce hardly at all to get benefits and you can buy a balance bar so she doesn't fall. I can see where the space could be a problem though--many will store under a bed but not w/ a balance bar. A small one is about 3 ft across.

I love my rebounder and find it to be lots of fun. I tend to be active anyway but I needed a way to get more regular exercise and the nearest town w/ a gym is 7 mi away so not practical for me to go very often and esp w/ all the snow days we had this winter--and my crazy busy job! I got it for all the reasons you mentioned plus cancer treatment--it's one of the best exercises there is for that b/c it gets your lymph fluids moving and will help carry out wastes. I've lost about 22 lbs so far.

Old 04-10-2014, 07:11 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,545,902 times
My 91 yr old dad used to go walking inside their house until he moved a couple years ago. Not in bad health for his age but has neuropathy in his feet. He said once a week he would walk 10-15 laps from one end of the dining room to the other end of the living room. Since we moved in the house I measured that distance. Can't remember how many feet it is but 35 laps was right at a half mile for me. Said he liked walking indoors because there are plenty of chairs to sit and take a break.

Old 04-11-2014, 10:01 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times
Quote:
The Collage website seems to be defunct. Any links?

http://www.collagevideo.com/exercise...cise-videos-30
I clicked on your link and it says they're redoing their site and will be back soon. It seems like I just got an email from them, so hopefully the site will be back up soon.

Old 04-11-2014, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I love my rebounder... iit's one of the best exercises there is for that b/c it gets your lymph fluids moving and will help carry out wastes. I've lost about 22 lbs so far.
Great! Congrats!

Old 04-11-2014, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
My 91 yr old dad used to go walking inside their house until he moved a couple years ago. Not in bad health for his age but has neuropathy in his feet. He said once a week he would walk 10-15 laps from one end of the dining room to the other end of the living room. Since we moved in the house I measured that distance. Can't remember how many feet it is but 35 laps was right at a half mile for me. Said he liked walking indoors because there are plenty of chairs to sit and take a break.
Thanks for addressing the q, Kyg. I think she'll have to do something similar.

My mum's not going to use a trampoline (lol), equipment or do tapes (which I've patiently addressed in each response now)... she doesn't have & doesn't want a DVD/VCR player & couldn't hook it up on her own or push/pull equipment in & out from a closet or underneath a bed. We've already thought of & dismissed those ideas, hence my q on indoor walking & weight loss, specifically. I don't think others understand how forceful mum is... no means no. And, people forget... she's 82, barely 5' & built like a bird. I know what my own mum is capable of & what would be of interest... walking.

I think she's still got small hand weights, so I'll tell her to do her marching in place or around in circles, whilst doing arm exercises. Or use her Richard Simmons tape & just dance from one side of the room to the other. Any movement is better than none... at that age, she stiffens up fast, if she's not active. Heck, so do I.

Okay thanks all. Please don't further recommend trapeze, pummel horses, uneven bars or roller skates. I'd be interested in other elder walking stories though.

Old 04-11-2014, 12:45 PM

6,460 posts, read 7,798,579 times
If you have the funds you may want to consider a geriatric personal trainer. Someone who does that profesionally can establish the right program for her, make good recommendations, make sure she is doing the proper exercise for her and with proper form and minimal risk, and provide company as well.

Old 04-13-2014, 07:22 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,801,723 times
Quote:
My mum's not going to use a trampoline (lol), equipment or do tapes (which I've patiently addressed in each response now)... she doesn't have & doesn't want a DVD/VCR player & couldn't hook it up on her own or push/pull equipment in & out from a closet or underneath a bed. We've already thought of & dismissed those ideas, hence my q on indoor walking & weight loss, specifically. I don't think others understand how forceful mum is... no means no. And, people forget... she's 82, barely 5' & built like a bird. I know what my own mum is capable of & what would be of interest... walking.
Patanjali, I know it's frustrating to post a question on here and get all kinds of answers that don't exactly address your question, but the fact is that when I post an answer I keep in mind that many others may be reading also and they may find the answer they're looking for. I know this b/c I've received all kinds of helpful advice on here that was not exactly directed at me but was spot on for what I needed.

Old 08-01-2015, 07:55 AM

1 posts, read 391 times
Hi, I'm the series producer of Functional Fitness on Public Television and am responding to the lady wanting walking in place suggestions. Arthritis Relief Walking Workout for seniors is now on DVD at Amazon. The first edition sold out, but people can reserve a copy now for the second edition to begin shipping on August 25th, 2015. You can learn more at this Amazon link: [url]http://www.amazon.com/Suzanne-Andrews-Arthritis-Walking-Workout/dp/B00YIZWJQQ[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness