Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 09:48 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,003,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Why don't you help me push when my car is stuck in a snowdrift .
Haha! Learn to drive in bad weather and your car won't get stuck in a snowdrift!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2014, 11:58 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,208,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Haha! Learn to drive in bad weather and your car won't get stuck in a snowdrift!
I know how to drive in snow. Have been doing it for 3 years.

Old 05-10-2014, 12:12 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,664,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
The fact that you keep mentioning "the gym" makes me think that you think of goals in a limiting way. There are many types of goals, and all kinds of effective options to reach them, some can even accomplish something else tangible at the same time. For example, my goal today is to move a couple thousand pounds of rock into my yard for free, spend some time with my nephew, enjoy being outside and get some good all around exercise. I will accomplish all three of those things at once starting in about an hour. Afterwards I will have met several goals, no gym required. I may not get six pack abs out of it but I'll feel great and I will have saved about $100 in landscaping materials.

I do believe there's a time and a place for "the gym" or other formal exercise programs, but I supplement or even replace that time with things that are more fun, interesting and productive whenever I can.
My definition of working out is something you do on a regular basis to maintain a high level of fitness. I don't expect working out to be fun. I enjoy playing basketball. I work out in order to play basketball on a competitive level.

I occasionally do hard physical labor around the house. I once dug a ditch across my back hard to create a French drain. I filled it in with a dump truck load of gravel. I tried to let not this get in the way of my workouts, but I did notice I dropped about 10 lbs.

Old 05-10-2014, 01:29 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,843,149 times
Quote:
Why don't you help me push when my car is stuck in a snowdrift .
I gladly would, but you are on the wrong side of the country. Let me know when you come visit NorCal.

Old 05-10-2014, 01:36 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,208,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
I gladly would, but you are on the wrong side of the country. Let me know when you come visit NorCal.
You don't get any snow outside the sierras in No. Cal. And by the end of may it would have melted anyways.

Old 05-10-2014, 04:59 PM

2,765 posts, read 3,629,795 times
I think one of my posts have been misunderstood. I believe that a workout has to be effective to have a purpose to exist. , I spoke about having a goal and I stand by that. I think a goal.is crucial, ask yourself, why are you working out? There has to be a reason. Something led you to make the desicion to workout, that is your goal. Of course different people means different goals, my goals are to get as big strong and athletic as I can, to me that can only he accomplished by engaging in a severe and punishing training program that simply can't be fun but rather focused and driven. I don't expect others to have my goals but some probably will. Fun? Absolutely no never, effective? Most certainly.

Old 05-10-2014, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I occasionally do hard physical labor around the house. I once dug a ditch across my back hard to create a French drain. I filled it in with a dump truck load of gravel. I tried to let not this get in the way of my workouts, but I did notice I dropped about 10 lbs.
Amen to this. I did a little of this today. We just had some retainer walls built outside our house and I bought my wife some flowers for Mother's Day! I spent a good part of the afternoon breaking through rock and clay to dig big holes for the plants we bought. It was as good a workout as any I've had in the gym. We've got plenty more to go tomorrow. Orlando, I know you're in VA as well. Feel free to drop by and lend a hand, you beast!

Old 05-11-2014, 07:28 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,372,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
I spent a good part of the afternoon breaking through rock and clay to dig big holes for the plants we bought. It was as good a workout as any I've had in the gym.
That's great! Findng reasons to do those sorts of workout IS my main goal and I do it all summer as often as I can. It gets expensive (paying for all the rock) but it's the best of both worlds because I get in great shape from it and accomplish something that really adds to my enjoyment in life (not to mention the value of my home) at the same time. I'm not going to get huge toned pecs from it, it won't help me increase the total number of #'s I can lift up at the gym, and it probably won't increase my mile pace, but I feel like that sort of thing is what my body is really optimized to do. So if moving rock (or whatever) around only increases my ability to move more rock around, and if it crowds out the time I have for more formal sorts of 'workouts', that's fine by me.

Old 05-11-2014, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
That's great! Findng reasons to do those sorts of workout IS my main goal and I do it all summer as often as I can. It gets expensive (paying for all the rock) but it's the best of both worlds because I get in great shape from it and accomplish something that really adds to my enjoyment in life (not to mention the value of my home) at the same time. I'm not going to get huge toned pecs from it, it won't help me increase the total number of #'s I can lift up at the gym, and it probably won't increase my mile pace, but I feel like that sort of thing is what my body is really optimized to do. So if moving rock (or whatever) around only increases my ability to move more rock around, and if it crowds out the time I have for more formal sorts of 'workouts', that's fine by me.
I think this speaks to the "why" as in "why do people work out?" For some it's all about looking a certain way. For others there are health related motivations. And there is nothing wrong with either of these, or any other reason, really. (Except for when it becomes an obsession. Obsession in any pursuit is probably not a good thing.) For a lot of us it is important to have a functional application to it as well. I'm in the military, so not being in good shape is not an option. But I also enjoy being outdoors, hiking, or being able to tackle a project around my home that involves manual labor. It sounds like you are in the same boat. It really was a lot of fun to break up rock and clay with that pick ax. It was hard work, though and it was pretty hot. But the bottom line is I try to find fun in whatever it is I'm doing. I am not alway successful at this (like when I'm at work) but I definitely agree it is easy to find fun in doing hard work around your house when you know you are adding to your home's value and getting a good workout in while you're doing it!

Old 05-11-2014, 10:09 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,843,149 times
Quote:
You don't get any snow outside the sierras in No. Cal. And by the end of may it would have melted anyways.
I'm very close to Tahoe. Plus, snow is not always gone by May. I've snowed on July 4 in Mammoth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness