Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 06:28 PM

347 posts, read 425,608 times

Advertisements

Hi CD,

35 year old female here. For the past year I feel terrible after I exercise. Terrible - fatigued, moody, irritable, depressed and wanting to spend the next few days and even a week in bed to recover. At first I thought it was the type of exercises I was doing - namely cardio kickboxing and other high impact classes at 24 Hour Fitness. The classes would leave me limping and shaking. I've cut these classes out and have tried just walking anywhere between 1-4 miles every day.

Walking still is making me feel the same way the high impact classes did.

My doctor ran labs on me and I'm completely healthy, except for low vitamin D levels, for which I'm currently taking supplements.

After my workout sessions, I drink Immune Fizz with electrolytes and vitamin C. The rest of the day I will consume a half gallon - gallon of water. I also have a protein shake or a snack post workouts as well.

I use a calorie counting app on my phone and have been eating 1200-1600 calories per day. (Higher on the days I've worked out.)

Can anyone think of anything else that might be contributing to this annoying problem or am I just getting old? I used to love working out and enjoyed my endorphin rushes...this just sucks!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2014, 07:00 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,591,937 times
Shaking sounds like a blood sugar dive...You might want be check for fibromyalgia, workout can trigger it....

Old 06-03-2014, 07:02 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,285,986 times
Just at a glance, it looks like you're not getting enough calories for that level of activity. You may also have something else going on healthwise; not everything shows up on blood tests - and that's if they're even testing the right things.

I have the same issue at much lower levels of exercise, and mine's due to mild rheumatoid arthritis, probably fibromyalgia, and moderate to severe osteoarthritis. Immune and inflammatory conditions will do that to you, and they don't necessarily show up on blood tests. After exercise, I must lie down and nap. Last year, it was so bad that I'd be in bed the next day, too.

Old 06-03-2014, 07:43 PM

1,846 posts, read 3,940,853 times
Are you possibly overdoing? If so, then just work up to that level over time. If not, then honestly I am mystified, and don't have any ideas.

Old 06-03-2014, 09:42 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,345,504 times
hows your overall diet?

Old 06-04-2014, 08:23 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,439,565 times
What everyone said about the diet...
You might be a little short on calories but also the quality of what you eat as well. I'm not going to tell you to hop on the gluten free train, but look at your food; if you don't know what the ingredients are to most of the foods you eat, and it mostly comes in a bag, probably leave it out. Are you getting enough meat, protein, and fat?

Old 06-04-2014, 09:14 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times
A friend of mine had similar symptoms, including shortness of breath and trembling after easy exercise or climbing a flight of stairs. Her initial labs checked out, but on a hunch the doctor ordered a check of her ferretin level and it was dangerously low. That test is not routinely part of a CBC. After many more tests, all they have determined is that her body does not absorb iron from food. She periodically gets ferretin infusions and Vitamin B injections and feels much better.

If you try some of the other things suggested here and don't feel better, you might bring this up to your doctor.

Old 06-04-2014, 09:19 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,301,245 times
At age 35 I was working out 5+ hours a day, kickboxing, weightlifting, yoga, running, climbing, etc.

Felt great.

My secret? Vegetables. Serious about the vegetables. Fresh, uncooked, every type & color you can get your hands on. Every meal. They make a person frickin' invincible :-)

Old 06-04-2014, 09:53 AM

1,115 posts, read 2,498,582 times
Sounds like you could just need to eat more, or eat more of the "RIGHT" foods. It's very normal to feel excessively fatigued and tired after exercise if you aren't filling your body with enough wholesome calories. Liquid foods (protein powders for example) and drinks won't cut it. Biggest thing I see people doing wrong with fitness is not eating enough. 1200-1600 is too low in my opinion, especially if you are exercising and more so if many of those calories are coming from sources that aren't wholesome.

What types of foods are you eating?

Old 06-04-2014, 10:18 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
How's your blood pressure? My husband had problems like this and it turned out he had an enlarged heart. He was only 40 at the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness