Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 05:38 PM

107 posts, read 130,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by escapenc View Post
Sounds like you may be suffering from depression. Have you gone to the doctor?
yeah, my depression is worse since my dog died 1 month ago, I feel weak and feel like sleeping all of the time but not tired all of the time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2014, 05:47 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,841,048 times
Exercising releases happy hormones. Ideal for combating depression.

Old 08-31-2014, 05:50 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,611,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwinM View Post
yeah, my depression is worse since my dog died 1 month ago, I feel weak and feel like sleeping all of the time but not tired all of the time
OP, do see a professional about the depression! There's help available. You don't have to feel like that for days on end.

Old 08-31-2014, 05:52 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,659,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
Awesome post! You aren't seriously looking for advice. You know full well what to do, you just won't do it.

What to do now? Admit that your lack of commitment and discipline isn't going to change and give up. Nature will take its course, if it hasn't already. And you will have to accept whatever consequences that may bring.
Well said, you nailed it with these comments.

Old 08-31-2014, 06:08 PM

2,158 posts, read 3,594,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mermaid825 View Post
Exercise has not been proven to help people lose weight. In fact in some cases it appears to make people gain because they consciously or unconsciously feel they deserve more food because they exercised (there are other complicating factors as well).

Instead of exercising I would suggest just trying to stay active. Walk instead of driving (when it's realistic), go for walks not for exercise but relaxation, take the stairs instead of escalator, park in a spot further away from the store, etc.

It's more important to drastically slash what you're eating in order to lose weight. I have never really exercised (except occasional walks for enjoyment) but have always maintained a low BMI (18-20) by watching what I eat.

Now if you want to build strength, endurance, toning etc. then yes there might be a point to exercising, and as people age it's important to stay active. But it wont necessarily help for weight loss.
"Exercise has not been proven to help people lose weight." It has not been proven to help EVERYBODY lose weight, but it absolutely works for some. I am down 40 lbs from a few years ago and never count calories. I bicycle 100+ miles/week. Could that have something to do with it? I know lots of cyclists who have lost weight dramatically and are not afraid to eat hearty. I know someone whose only life change was her VW Beetle kicked the bucket and she started riding a bike to work out of necessity. Guess what, unplanned weight loss. Etc. Etc. Sure if you fill up on corn syrup saturated drinks and pastries after a modest workout at the gym you can sabotage the exercise benefits, but nobody holds a gun to your head and forces you to do something stupid.

Don in Austin

Old 08-31-2014, 06:36 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Quote:
it's so boring and it takes energy from me, I rather just sleep the whole day and eat, but I have to lose weight and the only way to do that is to eat healthy and exercise, I was supposed to exercise yesterday but I didn't, I'm supposed to do it today but I won't, now I say tomorrow and I've been doing this for the whole year lol, what should I do?
Exercise. You just have to suck it up and do it. A wise woman once told me, "The best way to begin is to begin." I have taken her sage advice to heart on many occasions, and because of it, I, a former exercise hater, regularly exercise myself. Everyone hates it at first. Start by doing something you think you'll like a little more. Do you like tennis? Lifting weights? Whatever it is, do it a little bit for a little while. But I don't mean be lazy about it. You have to challenge yourself. Get out of breath, sweaty, and sore. Otherwise you won't see any results. It's best to alternate lifting weights with cardio exercise. 30 minutes each session helps a great deal. Good luck!

Old 08-31-2014, 08:03 PM

214 posts, read 230,805 times
Don't listen to the DOCENDO post above.

It is wrong.

Simply burning more calories via ADL's (activites of daily living) will NOT get you fit, or even necessarily make you lose weight.
Because it's the QUALITY of the calories you take in that have an effect on you weight, body fat content, and fitness level.

You could consume, say 2000 kcals a day of junk food and sugar, which is a low cal intake for a grown man, even a sedentary one. You will burn a bit more kcals than that in a 24-hour period by just living and walking around and doing the occasional household chore. But you would NOT get fit or look any better in the mirror or lose weight or lose that flabby gut.

It ain't easy but the only way to drop your bodyfat percentage and lose eight and look and feel better is to exercise at least 3-4 days a week for 30-60 mins., AND clean-up your diet by cutting saturated fats, sugars, and simple carbohydrates. Aim for more fruits and veggies, along with complex carbohydrates instead of simple, refined ones.

Insofar as your lack of motivation to exercise: they key here is to find something you actually LIKE doing, be it hiking in nature or walking or swimming or playing basketball, or whatever. This is much better than dragging yourself to a boring gym and climbing on the "Dread Mill."

The good news is that your body actually talks to you, and as you begin to drop a bit of weight and get fit your stamina will increase, and you will feel so much better than before you will actually begin to look forward to exercising.

It's an age-old paradox that the more you exercise, the more energy you have, instead of less.

Good luck ,amigo.

Old 08-31-2014, 08:44 PM

2,023 posts, read 3,240,257 times
Quote:
I'm sorry for the loss of your doggy. I always feel better (physically and mentally) after a great workout. Exercise will help combat your depression. If your depression doesn't improve, I suggest seeing your doctor. Best of luck!

Old 09-01-2014, 02:46 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,279,468 times
I'm sorry about your dog. The death of pets is very under appreciated by a lot of people.

If you are going to get a new job (which I highly recommend) may I be so bold as to consider a lap dog?

I've never had a dog but I'm currently dog sitting my downstairs neighborhood's lap dog. He is SO needy I've been picking him up and carrying him up n down stairs at least 4 times a day. I see that my waist is tighter after 2 weeks. And then of course I have to walk him and I don't take walks otherwise.

Google luck!

Old 09-01-2014, 07:58 AM

2,195 posts, read 2,590,165 times
I think you need to get a new dog. A young one that needs to go for lots of long walks. It is not wrong to get a new dog. Your old dog would want you to have a friend with you and you would honor his/her memory by giving another dog who is stuck in a shelter, a loving home.

OP it does sound like you are dealing with depression and speaking as one who has been there so many times. You need to treat this. If you can't/wont see a Dr at least go buy some St John's wort and give it a try for a few weeks. It really helped me a lot when I was in one of my darker times.

Also stop exercising or even trying to. Instead try finding a new hobby that involves other people and also happens to be physically active. Take dancing lessons take up yoga, tai chi, some martial art, bicycle riding, volunteer to walk dogs at the pound....

I hated exercise too. Then I started taking aikido classes. I loved what I was learning so much that the pain and exhaustion that came after each class or the first 6 months did not keep me from getting to the next class. Five and a half years later I now teach a little bit and am preparing to take my black belt exam. I am also in much better shape and my depression is easier to manage. I am still fat. I will probably always be fat. But I do feel better and enjoy life more. (I am down about 40 pounds since starting aikido and in better shape but still quite a bit over my "ideal weight".)

You can do this. It isn't easy, But nothing worth doing ever is. You just have to decide that you are worth the effort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness