Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 07:57 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,056,202 times

Advertisements

I don't understand this. It's like some feel that achieving this is the pinnacle of health or sexual prowess. I don't really see why some think that in order to be "not fat" they have to have visible abs. Like they consider themselves as "having a gut" when they don't have visible abdominal muscles. Where does this stem from?

Healthy body fat levels in many adults don't correspond with even having visible abs. For some people (not everyone), abs are visible only at very low body fat percentages, and in fact these body fat percentages can at times be too low an unhealthy. I'm not saying that people with visible abs are unhealthy at all, I'm just saying that some people (especially men) have this weird idea that if they can't see their abs, they have failed at physical fitness. Why is this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2014, 08:18 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,819,357 times
The media. All those fitness models flashing their six pack abs make it seem like that look is actually attainable. It is attainable if you are committed to a rigid diet and a crazy exercise regime. Also remember that all those models especially the women are willfully extremely dehydrated. The less water in the system the more the muscles show definition.

Old 11-04-2014, 08:23 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,297,334 times
^ that's just what fat/lazy people say when they don't want to put in the time and effort to attain a decent healthy body

*grabs popcorn

Old 11-04-2014, 08:47 AM

2,546 posts, read 6,874,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
The media. All those fitness models flashing their six pack abs make it seem like that look is actually attainable. It is attainable if you are committed to a rigid diet and a crazy exercise regime. Also remember that all those models especially the women are willfully extremely dehydrated. The less water in the system the more the muscles show definition.
Most of them are drinking a gallon of water a day or close to it so they can't possibly be dehydrated.

Old 11-04-2014, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Well...to be fair a six pack is definitely attainable for anyone who doesn't have extremely loose skin. Is it harder for some to get? No question. But to say is unattainable is inaccurate.

Old 11-04-2014, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn07 View Post
Most of them are drinking a gallon of water a day or close to it so they can't possibly be dehydrated.
How do you know this?

Old 11-04-2014, 09:16 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,819,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn07 View Post
I have a friend who is a fitness model and she is ripped. In order to compete or to do a photo shoot she has to dehydrate herself so her muscles have more definition. Don't believe me? Look it up. It is fairly common knowledge. And for the record I do have six pack abs, but they are not all that visible because for one I am a woman, and for two I am not about to starve myself so they will be visible. And I also have very little body fat on me.

Old 11-04-2014, 09:17 AM

Quote:
I have a friend who is a fitness model and she is ripped. In order to compete or to do a photo shoot she has to dehydrate herself so her muscles have more definition. Don't believe me? Look it up. It is fairly common knowledge. And for the record I do have six pack abs, but they are not all that visible because for one I am a woman, and for two I am not about to starve myself so they will be visible. And I also have very little body fat on me.
You don't have to starve yourself, you could just up your physical activity for greater caloric expenditure.

I do agree though that when the cameras are on, being dehydrated helps.

Old 11-04-2014, 09:33 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
Seems there are two parts to this; are fitness models dehydrated, thus what people see is not the usual way they are; and do they give an impression to people that if they do not have visible abs, they are not in shape.

Yes, they dehydrate, but not nearly as bad as everyone makes it out to be, it is not like they are about to drop dead, or have their kidneys destroyed. This is a common technique to enhance the muscle definition for show, body builder for example are dehydrated when they are showing. But some of you make it like they are hardly going to live because they are so dehydrated, not the case at all, not even close. The people who take it to the extreme are those trying to make weight for a competition.

Any one with even broad knowledge of fitness, knows that having visible abs is not some sort of final standard they must achieve in order to be "fit". I really do not feel sorry for anyone that has this skewed view of fitness, and I do not see why those with visible abs and promoting fitness, should somehow be ashamed of doing so due to a few idiots who cannot bother to learn anything about fitness.

Old 11-04-2014, 09:53 AM

2,054 posts, read 2,568,281 times
Agree with the dehydration thing. notice that you look different in the mirror when you first wake up in the mornings rather than in the evenings before bed. That's what a day of eating and drinking does to you.

Back on the topic of the water intake, fitness freaks (which is what I am) drink a crap ton of it to flush the body and stay adequately hydrated to workout at high intensities, where you lose it as fast as you can take it at times. And it's better for you than cokes or lone star beers, of which I wish I had a 6 pack of right now !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness