Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 01:22 PM

6,460 posts, read 7,801,762 times

Advertisements

Help me out here - barefoot.minimal running shoes have a minimal cushion or hardly any cushion. So why do people say to replace a regular running shoe when the cushioning is done for?

Isn't it a good idea...NAY, even better idea to keep running on the worn out cushion? Thereby, getting the effect of a minimalist shoe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 01:33 PM

4,566 posts, read 5,425,031 times
I say baloney. Have you ever tried on a real minimalist running shoe? Im talking about a real running shoe not those Vibrams. There is still cushion/support in them.

I highly advise you to visit your local running store and try on a pair of Mizuno Universe 5s which are Mizuno's minimalist shoe. There is a SIGNIFICANT difference between running in a quality miniamlist shoe and running in worn out shoes.

Old 11-11-2014, 01:35 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,047,026 times
No! I tried those shoes and they made running quite painful. They made my feet hurt in places they had never hurt before. Plus the pain is very bad if you hit a rock or something in the road. I even had bruises on the bottom of my feet.

I think if you are in pain your body is trying to tell you something. You are doing something wrong. There are people who can run barefoot and use minimalist shoes but there are many who can't. Plus I don't think they have been around long enough to know what the longterm costs/benefits will be.

I like my shoes cushy. The more padding the better. I want to SAVE my feet all the pain and stress I can. No injuries! I only have 2 feet and I want them to serve me well. When my running shoes lose their cush they become walking shoes and finally yard shoes. Then they get trashed!

Old 11-11-2014, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
I say baloney. Have you ever tried on a real minimalist running shoe? Im talking about a real running shoe not those Vibrams. There is still cushion/support in them.

I highly advise you to visit your local running store and try on a pair of Mizuno Universe 5s which are Mizuno's minimalist shoe. There is a SIGNIFICANT difference between running in a quality miniamlist shoe and running in worn out shoes.
Nope, never tried a minimalist shoe. I only started running a couple years ago but had a large aerobic base from other sports so took to running pretty well. I've went through a few pairs of shoes and since I got a little more serious with my running of late, I went to get assessed and fitted and the whole shabang with my last pair of shoes. Walked away with a pair of Brooks (forget which model).

I was happy with the shoes and now that they've worn out I was thinking hey, maybe I'll just keep 'em and consider them minimalist! Yeah, of course it sounds goofy and kind of is but I thought I'd post the question because really, a minimalist shoe has less cushion right? The worn shoe has less of a cushion now too so voila...minimalist shoe baby! It's like 2 pairs for 1 price.

Old 11-11-2014, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
No! I tried those shoes and they made running quite painful. They made my feet hurt in places they had never hurt before. Plus the pain is very bad if you hit a rock or something in the road. I even had bruises on the bottom of my feet.

I think if you are in pain your body is trying to tell you something. You are doing something wrong. There are people who can run barefoot and use minimalist shoes but there are many who can't. Plus I don't think they have been around long enough to know what the longterm costs/benefits will be.

I like my shoes cushy. The more padding the better. I want to SAVE my feet all the pain and stress I can. No injuries! I only have 2 feet and I want them to serve me well. When my running shoes lose their cush they become walking shoes and finally yard shoes. Then they get trashed!
Well, I don't know. My plan was to go to the same place I went before and ask if I'm a candidate for the minimalist shoes. Our feet have so many nerves and junk and I feel like I'm wrapping them up way too much.

I feel like I'm losing some experiences of connecting with the earth. I know how corny that sounds but there it is anyway.

Old 11-11-2014, 01:48 PM

4,566 posts, read 5,425,031 times
Maybe you should try some lightweight shoes first before jumping into the minimalist ones. I REALLY like the Mizuno Sayonaras which are extreme lightweight shoes which are just a step up from the Mizuno Universe 5s. Go to a store, try them on and hope on the store treadmill in them. If you've never done minimalist running before you will probably really like the Sayonaras.

But please dont run in worn out shoes because you are just asking for an injury if you do so.

Old 11-12-2014, 08:05 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,446,452 times
I'm not a runner, but I do run as part of many workouts, rarely more than a mile. I used to run more and further. I've never run in Vibrams, but I have run in New Balance Minimalist shoes and traditional running shoes as well.

I do notice the lack of cushion in the New Balances if I run further distances. You may well notice it on your knees and hips. However, they are lighter, and I do appreciate that as well.

Also, do you run more on pavement or grass? If you're on pavement, there is a lot to be said for cushion. Just my .02.

Old 11-12-2014, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I'm not a runner, but I do run as part of many workouts, rarely more than a mile. I used to run more and further. I've never run in Vibrams, but I have run in New Balance Minimalist shoes and traditional running shoes as well.

I do notice the lack of cushion in the New Balances if I run further distances. You may well notice it on your knees and hips. However, they are lighter, and I do appreciate that as well.

Also, do you run more on pavement or grass? If you're on pavement, there is a lot to be said for cushion. Just my .02.
I run on both. I go a good amount further than 1 mile on most every one of my runs. Sometimes however I do hill repeats on a 9% grade - up and down. But I'm pretty sure even that ends up being more than 1 mile.

Anyhow, I don't really care about the weight of the shoe, as long as it's within reason of course. I chose my Brooks over a pair of Asics - the Asics were lighter but the Brooks felt better on my foot. I'm going for feel over weight.

Thanks.

Old 11-12-2014, 06:53 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,369,310 times
I believe that cushioning is useful if you are running on pavement, but otherwise not, and I think it is best to avoid running on pavement.

Try this experiment: buy two pairs of your favorite shoes and run in one pair for several weeks. By the 2nd or 3rd week compare the used pair to the unused pair, and you'll find that the cushioning under the ball of the foot is totally flattened and useless.

Unless you are going to replace your shoes every two-three weeks, a better approach is to run on grass or dirt trails, or treadmill, where cushioning is not critical. I only run on pavement for races, and even then I am not really happy about it.

Old 11-13-2014, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I believe that cushioning is useful if you are running on pavement, but otherwise not, and I think it is best to avoid running on pavement.

Try this experiment: buy two pairs of your favorite shoes and run in one pair for several weeks. By the 2nd or 3rd week compare the used pair to the unused pair, and you'll find that the cushioning under the ball of the foot is totally flattened and useless.

Unless you are going to replace your shoes every two-three weeks, a better approach is to run on grass or dirt trails, or treadmill, where cushioning is not critical. I only run on pavement for races, and even then I am not really happy about it.
I'm of course not going to do the buying 2 shoes expirement but will take your word for it. I run on dirt where possible...but it 'taint always possible.

Running on a treadmill gives me the oogies. I have on OK one at home but it's for my wife.

I go for OK distances sometimes but am not an ultra marathoner type person. And I'm lean and trim - not heavy at all so the impact isn't as bad, and I try to maintain good form and all that jazz to prevent injury. Still, I have gotten shin splints here and there. I usually just do slow recovery runs until they are well enough to punch it again, but sometimes I'll sit out for a while. As I age I get less conerned about putting in a lot of time and don't get too anxious if I take some time and not do a work out. I often times come back stronger after a good break.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness