Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 02:01 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,378,814 times

Advertisements

Many people think they have a larger body type but are really just overweight.

I think for the most part body fat and waist size is a good indicator. Personally for a male I would consider around 16% to 18% about the max for still being "healthy" and for fit people more like 10-14%. I usually stay around 10%-%14 at around 210-220 lbs at 5'10. I'm actually pretty ectomorphic. My normal non-exercising weight is around 165-170. I have just added a lot of muscle by lifting and eating a ton for many years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2014, 02:27 PM

4,566 posts, read 5,425,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
Totally true. But I think its more true for women than for men.

Not much irks me more than to hear a woman refer to herself (or someone else) as being "big boned". So ridiculous.

I like to use Biggest Loser Michelle Aguilar is prime example of there not really being a "big boned" thing with women. Before she lost all the weight, those people may look at her and say "Oh, she's big boned", but when you see her after the weight loss, its obvious that she is just a normal girl. She just "appeared" to be big boned because she was carrying all of that extra weight.

See before and after weight loss here:

Old 11-20-2014, 02:54 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,673,235 times
Quote:
What is a healthy weight for a 5"10 1/2 20 year old guy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
That could be anywhere from 150 lbs to 215 lbs and also how you are defining "healthy". There are "healthy" 5' 10" guys at 140 lbs walking around USC campus, and there are also "healthy" 5' 10" 215-220 pound guys walking around as well who play safety and wide receiver on the football team.

Mike Tyson was a "healthy" 5' 10" 220 pound heavyweight champion of the world at 20 years old. Brad Pitt was 5' 11" and 170 pounds in Fight Club. You see, there is a HUGE range for guys when it comes to "HEALTHY" weight.
Agreed. There is a big difference between how healthy you are, and how fit or how muscular you are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azmordean View Post
This. Weight is relatively meaningless, except for comparing against yourself. BMI is much touted, but it's meant as an average measure of a whole population -- it typically fails miserably for individuals because there is no one body type.

The most obvious thing impacting healthy weight will be how muscular you are. The more muscular you are, the more you will weigh. How you are built in terms of frame plays in hugely as well.

Finally, healthy and perfect aren't the same thing. Most of us on here are looking for the six pack, but it's perfectly healthy to be a bit higher bodyfat than that.

The more reliable measure is bodyfat%, or if you don't want to be so specific, the mirror.
Good points. BMI is only slightly better than weight alone in evaluating whether you are overweight.

Quote:

I think for the most part body fat and waist size is a good indicator. Personally for a male I would consider around 16% to 18% about the max for still being "healthy" and for fit people more like 10-14%. I usually stay around 10%-%14 at around 210-220 lbs at 5'10. I'm actually pretty ectomorphic. My normal non-exercising weight is around 165-170. I have just added a lot of muscle by lifting and eating a ton for many years.
Body fat is an excellent indicator if you can get an accurate measurement. That is not so easy to do. I think waist size tells most people what they need to know. For a guy, if your waist size is 36" or above, you are likely overweight. You could easily argue that a 36" waist is too high and that it should be 34" or lower.

It is much more difficult to evaluate weight. If you're a guy and over 200 lbs, you are likely overweight unless you are over 6'4", play on a football or basketball team, or you're a serious weightlifter.

Old 11-20-2014, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StAcKhOuSe View Post
I am 5'10'' and weight 153. apparently, this is smack dab in the middle of the "healthy weight range". and I am considered a "mesomorph"
I would place a heavy bet that there's NO way you're a mesomorph if you're 5'10" and 153 lbs haha. Mesomorph is relatively muscular and at that hot and weight you are not. May have low body fat but are not a mesomorph. I'm you're height but 60lbs heavier and am more of an ectomorph than a mesomorph because of my longer limbs and frame that is smaller, I just have a lot of muscle. Similar to how Frank Zane is a classic muscle bound ectomorph (but he obviously looked better haha)

Old 11-20-2014, 04:31 PM

2,079 posts, read 3,210,024 times
Quote:
I would place a heavy bet that there's NO way you're a mesomorph if you're 5'10" and 153 lbs haha. Mesomorph is relatively muscular and at that hot and weight you are not. May have low body fat but are not a mesomorph. I'm you're height but 60lbs heavier and am more of an ectomorph than a mesomorph because of my longer limbs and frame that is smaller, I just have a lot of muscle. Similar to how Frank Zane is a classic muscle bound ectomorph (but he obviously looked better haha)
cool bro...i have a tenuous grasp on what a mesomorph even is...but i looked at that chart thingy and that is what i look like, so....

i am fit/toned. used to weigh 205 but i dropped some pounds about two years ago.

Old 11-20-2014, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StAcKhOuSe View Post
cool bro...i have a tenuous grasp on what a mesomorph even is...but i looked at that chart thingy and that is what i look like, so....

i am fit/toned. used to weigh 205 but i dropped some pounds about two years ago.
All I'm saying is based on your height and weight you are most likely an ectomorph. Nothing wrong with it, I mostly am as well. It's just everyone seems to want to fall into the mesomorph category.

Old 11-20-2014, 07:06 PM

4,566 posts, read 5,425,031 times
Quote:
It's just everyone seems to want to fall into the mesomorph category.
Yeah. For me, I have always known I was ecto. Heck, back in 2000 when I got my first black belt I was 148 lbs at 6' tall.

Old 11-20-2014, 08:33 PM

527 posts, read 709,201 times
I'm that height and weigh 230 lbs :/

Old 11-20-2014, 08:52 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,957,323 times
I find this thread rather amazing considering the vast resources available to anyone with an Internet connection. All those resources and you come here to ask that question?

Of all the other places with charts, study data, expert opinions, correlations to body type, lifestyle and so on, it gets asked here?

I mean, really?

A quick search:

http://www.healthcentral.com/diet-ex...-3146-143.html

http://www.webmd.com/diet/tc/healthy...healthy-weight

http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/ass...alculator.html

My goodness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness