Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 01:29 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,531,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggjacobsen View Post
Push yourself away from the dinner table.
That's true. Eat less (well, a good 4 small meals during the day; once every 3 hours) and exercise more (at least get a good 30 minutes or more: I prefer 1 1/2 hour).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2008, 02:18 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,231,957 times
I eat sensibly, no fast food, only eat out once or twice a month, etc. But I walk two miles every day, with very few exceptions. Sometimes I do it twice, if I'm bored. It takes about 40 minutes. The funny thing is that I've been to the doctor twice in the past couple months and both times, as soon as they took my heart rate, the woman said, "Oh, you must be a runner". I guess it's true what they say, that walking is just as good for you as running.

Old 01-14-2008, 04:06 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,531,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I eat sensibly, no fast food, only eat out once or twice a month, etc. But I walk two miles every day, with very few exceptions. Sometimes I do it twice, if I'm bored. It takes about 40 minutes. The funny thing is that I've been to the doctor twice in the past couple months and both times, as soon as they took my heart rate, the woman said, "Oh, you must be a runner". I guess it's true what they say, that walking is just as good for you as running.
Yes, walking is just as good as jogging. I do some walking, about 2 times a week, in between the days I go jogging. It's great and works some different leg muscles too. Good to get a variety of leg muscles toned.

Old 01-15-2008, 03:26 PM

570 posts, read 1,820,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulegirl View Post
come on... a girl's gotta eat.

Starvation signals to the brain makes it retain the fat in your body.

I don't want to keep anymore of it than I have to!

I thought that when the body goes into starvation mode, it starts to get what it needs from the fat stored in the body instead retaining the fat that's already there.

Eating 5 small meals a day works for me. No fried food, fast food, pork, and red meat for me. Although, I could learn to control my sugar intake because sometimes it defeats the purpose of me avoiding everything else.

Old 01-16-2008, 11:23 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,654,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by complexsimplicity View Post
I thought that when the body goes into starvation mode, it starts to get what it needs from the fat stored in the body instead retaining the fat that's already there.

Eating 5 small meals a day works for me. No fried food, fast food, pork, and red meat for me. Although, I could learn to control my sugar intake because sometimes it defeats the purpose of me avoiding everything else.

Your metabolism slows down though and you start to burn fewer calories. Your body adjusts to this so starving yourself is very very bad. Best to eat 4-5 small meals per day, spaced out.

Old 01-16-2008, 10:02 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,575,909 times
Learn what foods are not for you, eat smaller portions, some exercise every day. Drink lots of water. Have happy thoughts, sleep well, and enjoy life! Be less judgmental of others.

Old 01-17-2008, 04:24 PM

211 posts, read 979,145 times
Quote:
Totally hysterical. I just can't stop laughing.

Old 02-02-2008, 02:30 PM

1,240 posts, read 3,970,709 times
Quote:
What kind of weight are you looking to lose? By "what kind" I'm asking if you care at all to keep whatever muscle you may have. Your body will break down muscle tissue at a faster rate than fat tissue when it needs nutrition.

Yes, it's important to exercise portion control but simply not eating and going through long starvation periods will harm you more than benefit you.

Old 02-02-2008, 02:31 PM

1,240 posts, read 3,970,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post
My inlaws are always on my case about how little I eat at the dinner table (and in general). The fact that they are all overweight (and that I'm not) should tell them something. I just look at them and say, "I ate until my stomach was full....and then I stopped". They don't get this concept I guess.
As you've observed, they have bigger stomachs.

Old 02-06-2008, 11:14 PM

123 posts, read 534,310 times
I agree. Very bad advice. If your intention is to lose weight you should not stop eating, but eat more often and smaller meals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
This is actually bad advice unless you are referring to portion control. People need to eat during the day and eat right. 5 small meals a day with the right foods is the best way to eat. Avoid the "white foods" and make helthy decisions. Resistance training and cardio exercise 3 times a week where you get your heart rate up (interval training works best) is a great way. But always consult your physician.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness