Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 10:47 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,664,471 times

Advertisements

Interesting how this thread has evolved from the OP asking if there is a difference between running and jogging to debating how much rest/recovery time is necessary in different type of exercise programs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
Just remember to do everything 80/20. 80% of your runs should be slow, really slow and easy. But the 20% of your runs needs to be all out. Either go really slow or go really fast, the middle is the worst thing for fitness.
Not sure if you are quoting someone regarding 80/20 but I don't think most experts would agree. Most experts will say that 25 to 35% of your workouts should be quality or hard workouts, with the rest being recovery workouts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsTheEndNear View Post
Jogging is running at a slower pace. Jogging will normally burn more body fat per hour than running, though running will burn more muscle.
Burn more muscle? This idea that jogging burns more fat comes from research that said the body burns a greater percentage of fat at lower intensities than at higher intensities. See:

The Myth of the Fat-burning Zone | ACTIVE

Truth About Heart Rate: Target Heart Rate, Monitors, and More

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Well, I AM a trainer and I say YES this is a great thing. Your posts are irrelevant because they relate to heavy resistance training and rowing. I've been doing this for more than 20 years and have great success not only with myself but also with my clients and students.

Remember, we are talking running, not weight lifting, not rowing, not whatever else you search for on the internet to try to prove your (incorrect) point, when it comes to running.

This is why I say start at 5k, (not Atlas stone lifts). Average person like the OP who is just starting is not going to run a complete 5k. They will run, then walk, then run, then walk...... Goal is to eventually increase health/athletic ability to be able to RUN non-stop the entire 5k. So there will be a little less walking and more running each time as health/fitness improves. This is measured by tracking the time of each run. I am not saying "run as hard as you can everytime out", I am saying "try to be a little better each time out even if its by a few seconds". When you get to the point where you DO plateau AND you are running the entire 5k, then increase the distance to 7k or 10k and start over again.

Where its time to go hard is during HIIT, Fartleks, or Tabatas. But those are intervals and not distance "running". Huge difference.

Ive been having my students/clients time their runs for years to track their progress, to motivate them, and to get healthier. This has been working fantastically all this time with not just me, but also for many different people with varying backgrounds and levels of fitness. It WORKS!!
I agree there is a big difference between training plans for running and weightlifting. Many runners will run every day with an occasional rest day. Some weighlifters will only exercise a muscle group once a week.

The rest of your response is also relevant to the OP who is starting out on a running program. At this point his goal should be to just increase the amount he can run. A 5K is a good goal. After he has run for a month or so, it would be a good idea to incorporate an easy/hard routine where he tries to run harder one day and goes slower the next. Once he has completed a 5K, he might start looking into training concepts like intervals and tempo runs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2014, 11:16 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,560,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Interesting how this thread has evolved from the OP asking if there is a difference between running and jogging to debating how much rest/recovery time is necessary in different type of exercise programs.
Welcome to C-D! lol. I'm just happy it hasn't evolved into a debate about my and others' character like it often does!

Old 12-30-2014, 11:18 AM

P.S. At this point in time, I am only interested in walking/jogging/running so that I will go down in size. And yes, I'm totally controlling calories.

Old 12-30-2014, 11:36 AM

6,460 posts, read 7,796,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Well, I AM a trainer and I say YES this is a great thing. Your posts are irrelevant because they relate to heavy resistance training and rowing. I've been doing this for more than 20 years and have great success not only with myself but also with my clients and students.

Remember, we are talking running, not weight lifting, not rowing, not whatever else you search for on the internet to try to prove your (incorrect) point, when it comes to running.

This is why I say start at 5k, (not Atlas stone lifts). Average person like the OP who is just starting is not going to run a complete 5k. They will run, then walk, then run, then walk...... Goal is to eventually increase health/athletic ability to be able to RUN non-stop the entire 5k. So there will be a little less walking and more running each time as health/fitness improves. This is measured by tracking the time of each run. I am not saying "run as hard as you can everytime out", I am saying "try to be a little better each time out even if its by a few seconds". When you get to the point where you DO plateau AND you are running the entire 5k, then increase the distance to 7k or 10k and start over again.

Where its time to go hard is during HIIT, Fartleks, or Tabatas. But those are intervals and not distance "running". Huge difference.

Ive been having my students/clients time their runs for years to track their progress, to motivate them, and to get healthier. This has been working fantastically all this time with not just me, but also for many different people with varying backgrounds and levels of fitness. It WORKS!!
Oy vey. Take it easy with the all caps and exclamation points. OK, I'll simplify it nice and easy.

You say try to beat your time every time you go out. That means OP should go as hard as they can every time right? If they were to go easier than the previous run they would not beat their time correct? So never have a recovery run, never slow down, always push hard.

Choo choo...here comes the overtraining burnout train.

I mean I feel like I’m talking to someone who’s never even looked into how to exercise. I don’t get it. Here’s one of many many many running linksthat talks about not going as hard as you can on every run (although I’m sure you’ll find a way to rationalize it away...for some strange reason) - http://running.competitor.com/2014/01/training/running-101-how-fast-should-you-run_19877

OP, the gist from that link is this:
Even the most highly competitive runners jog most of the time. Easy running is great because the more of it you do, the fitter you get, and because it’s not terribly taxing you can do a lot of it. Faster running is more taxing, so it can only be done in small amounts. But a little goes a long way, especially when faster running is layered on top of a high volume of easy running.
Most competitive runners do two faster workouts per week. Some also add a small amount of faster running to a third workout — for example, a few wind sprints at the end of an easy run. This weekly schedule has become standard because it works better than any alternative for the majority of runners. If they do less, they don’t get as fast or race as well; if they do more, they burn out or get injured.

And OP, I get you are just starting out so yes, of course take it easy and mix walking with running. But you should NOT be going as hard as you can on every outing and trying to best yourself each time. Not when you start out and not when you progress. Your workouts will change as you get stronger but slow paced runs will always be an integral part of the overall routine...which obviously means not to try to best your time on every run...that’s just crazy talk.

Edit: invested another 10 seconds for this (couldn't help myself, there are so many things out there!): http://runnersconnect.net/running-tr...-running-easy/
And the fact that Kings Gambit said my other links were irrelevant says a lot. Why can’t he/she generalize the concept? It applies and is very basic. It’s surprising how some people have a dose of advanced knowledge but a lack of basic concepts.

OP, look it up for yourself. Just google “beginner running program” or anything like that. You will see immediately that they all incorporate many slow days...and you cannot beat your best time doing that. None (and I mean none) will tell you to go as fast as you can (which is what you’d have to do to beat your previous time) on every single outing. The programs will likely have a mix of distances and paces.

Don’t attempt a pr (personal best) on every single run. Krazy talk.

Last edited by G-fused; 12-30-2014 at 12:24 PM..

Old 12-30-2014, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
After he has run for a month or so, it would be a good idea to incorporate an easy/hard routine where he tries to run harder one day and goes slower the next.
If the OP goes slower the next day, how can he best the time he had the day before?

Old 12-30-2014, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
If the OP goes slower the next day, how can he best the time he had the day before?
That was Kings, not Village, that was advocating that.

And with regard with pushing yourself (too) hard, don't ever worry about me doing that, that is not my M.O. lol! I'll be lucky to be able to report back within a month that I went out and walked at this point.

Old 12-30-2014, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
That was Kings, not Village, that was advocating that.

And with regard with pushing yourself (too) hard, don't ever worry about me doing that, that is not my M.O. lol! I'll be lucky to be able to report back within a month that I went out and walked at this point.
Village responded to King saying “After he has run for a month or so, it would be a good idea to incorporate an easy/hard routine where he tries to run harder one day and goes slower the next.”

I was making a light joke to note that village declined to take it full circle and come out and say that having light days is not only valuable, but critical.

And I didn’t mean to take this thread and your question the way I did. I just got a bit heated and simply wanted to make sure you not take the advice of trying to beat your time on every run.

There are plenty of great programs out there. Pick one that looks ok for you and do your best. Stick with it, nice and easy. I found the most important part for newbs is motivation. Some things that help are to have a buddy to work out with, get yourself something new (sneakers, running shirt or other apparel, a tech gadget, etc.), enroll in an event like a 5k that is a few months away so you’ll have something to work for, find a pretty girl with running tights to follow.

Best of luck.

Old 12-30-2014, 12:57 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,095,582 times
Default All You Need to Know

It does not matter what you call it.

Don't ever ask a fitness expert for advice.

1) get out there and move that sweaty body for at least 30 minutes every other day
2) don't drink sugary sodas or alcohol
3) don't eat prepared or processed food--make it yourself

You can abandon #2 and #3 once a week just to keep from going insane, but only if you've been good all week.

This plan works best for individuals who need to lose more than 30 pounds. You will definitely see results without having to think too hard or drastically change your life.

Old 12-30-2014, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
2) don't drink alcohol
That is where I stopped listening.

Old 12-30-2014, 01:04 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,095,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
That is where I stopped listening.
Ha! I know. It sucks. But it is amazing how many totally empty calories are contained in alcoholic drinks. Believe me, I hate it. I drink way too much these days.

But you know what? If you don't drink, you get to be a lot more lenient on the food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness