Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 02:01 PM

560 posts, read 540,266 times

Advertisements

I frequent other sub formus, and haven't ventured here but now it's high time for me! I just turned 38, so approaching 40 basically and in dire need to lose 35-40 pounds. I also need to gain strength and tone up, but figure I'll worry about it once i have lose majority of my weight.

I've also been suffering minor gastro ailments since Halloween, it's as if my aging body isn't tolerant many things i used to eat without any issues like pasta, wheat, and such.

Been looking into the PH diet, akaline diet like this book

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1454908874/...I1DKM5S1CHZE3M

so what would you recommend a good way to start off a good workout lifestyle? i usually walk 1.5 miles with my boxer 3-4 x a week and know i need to be doing more than that.

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2014, 02:15 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,822,493 times
Skip all fad diets. PH diet is a fad. If wheat bothers you, as it does most people try a Paleo approach or just eliminate simple carbs altogether. Calories count so you need to take in less that you burn. But take in quality calories from fresh, whole foods, lots of protein and veggies. Drink plenty of water. Ditch sugar completely. Up your exercise. Walking the dog is a fine thing to do, I walk mine all the time, but it does not go into the exercise category. You need to get your heart rate up and keep it up through cardio and weight training. 38 is not even close to being old.

Old 01-05-2015, 10:21 PM

33 posts, read 46,290 times
At the age of 35 you are able to do all the exercises properly as your body is not capable of it. so avoid heavy exercise. Eat healthy, protein-rich foods to support calorie-burning muscle mass, and follow a moderate-calorie diet.Strength-train twice a week to fight muscle loss.Squeeze in quickie cardio workouts 3 times a week to hike all-day calorie burn.

Old 01-06-2015, 09:45 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,560,913 times
If you're looking to lose weight, find out what your BMR is and eat about 100-200 calories above it. You need to eat less than you burn in a day. So for example, if you weigh 160 your body burns approximately 1400 calories a day just being alive. You'll burn about 100-200, let's say, just doing "life things" like shopping, cleaning, etc. So eat about 1500 calories a day and you should be on your way to losing weight. If you want to exercise, great, but don't overestimate how much you're burning with it. Don't even count it as "exercise calories." If you want to lift weights, great, that will help build some muscle (not body builder muscle) and that will help you burn more calories overall.

Old 01-08-2015, 12:45 AM

123 posts, read 149,557 times
Consider joining a running club? More fruits and vegetables and do some research. bodybuilding.com has a huge database with articles and advise for weight loss and lifestyle change. Set a goal. 5k or half marathon. Find something in March or April and go ahead and pay for it. That way you are financially committed to it. If you really want to have with it plan a trip to another town. Run on a Saturday morning then enjoy your day and reward yourself with some amazing food and drinks. Live better.

Old 01-08-2015, 12:47 AM

52 posts, read 47,864 times
Swimming is a good way.

Old 01-08-2015, 01:11 AM

4,565 posts, read 5,421,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2be1053 View Post
I frequent other sub formus, and haven't ventured here but now it's high time for me! I just turned 38, so approaching 40 basically and in dire need to lose 35-40 pounds. I also need to gain strength and tone up, but figure I'll worry about it once i have lose majority of my weight.

I've also been suffering minor gastro ailments since Halloween, it's as if my aging body isn't tolerant many things i used to eat without any issues like pasta, wheat, and such.

Been looking into the PH diet, akaline diet like this book

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1454908874/...I1DKM5S1CHZE3M

so what would you recommend a good way to start off a good workout lifestyle? i usually walk 1.5 miles with my boxer 3-4 x a week and know i need to be doing more than that.

TIA
Few things:

1. Skip on the PH diet. Its a fad diet, ineffective and not something you can do longterm.

2. Dont wait to "tone up" before you lose the weight (i.e., body fat %). Weight training will help you drop your body fat % (weight) faster and it'll help you get fit faster.

3. Instead of walking with your boxer, start running that 1.5 miles with him. Walking is pretty much doing nothing for you, so start running it. Also, look up Tabata squats on YouTube and begin incorporating these into your routine prior to your dog walking/running sessions.

4. You can try going paleo, but I think initially you can just limit the breads, pastas, wheat first to see how your stomach reacts.

Old 01-08-2015, 01:18 AM

4,290 posts, read 4,012,365 times
First of all don't be stress about it. Move more eat less. Skip fat food and also sugar drinks. Watch out how much calories you get in per day. If you were not in to sports before you better start slowly. Start from a long walk then do jogging. Take a balance diet.

Old 01-08-2015, 01:28 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,345,504 times
Imo, best approach to losing weight and keeping it off is to change the way you look at food. It shouldn't be just a temporary thing (I need to lose xxamount by this time) yoyoing diets. It's a lifestyle change - like if you lost your legs in an unfortunate accident.

Exercise.....well, with a good healthy diet, that comes naturally with all the energy you'll have. Counterproductive if you exercise and eat unhealthy.

Old 01-08-2015, 02:13 PM

4,613 posts, read 4,795,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2be1053 View Post
Depending on how big you are now, you should consider reversing these options.

A large chunk of women that want to lose weight are what's called "skinny fat"; having a high body fat percentage on a small frame. If that's you, then you want to gain muscle FIRST, then cut calories.

If you're obese now, or close to it, then maybe losing weight of any kind first is the way to start so you don't put too much stress on your body frame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness