Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2017, 03:07 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,711,009 times

Advertisements

Hi, so I have a test Sunday have to run 300 meters in 56 seconds. I have done the 300 Meters in this order 58, 64, 52, 69, and 54.

With the Holiday's and last week haven't ran Sprints. However, did a 3 Mile Tempo Run and have shaved a minute off each mile for a 10K. Can run 7 miles in 60 minutes. Plus been doing at least 2 days of legs a week. Plus been strengthening my core and back for the last two month's.

I have only ran on the track twice. I've ran on the road mostly and measured 2 loops where it works out to 300 meters.

I am hoping to hit the track tomorrow, but I have a feeling either the road or treadmill.

Quick feedback...Have yet to use the treadmill tomorrow. Debating to see how the weather will be in the morning. I can try to see if the local HS track is accessible at 4AM or run the loops. Might have to wait till I am done with work, but I feel my times when my legs are shot from work don't really show my progress.

Anyone train for sprints on the treadmill? Pros & Cons?

Also cold weather so Sunday is to be in the 20s with snow showers. I've ran Sprints in a half zip micro top witj short sleeves pants and winter hat on. Probably layer up and debating to wear/gloves hats when I Sprint. Any feedback on what to wear? Going to do as much as I can to keep my body as warm and loose as I can before I run.

Appreciate any insight can give.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2017, 03:19 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,711,009 times
I usually do Sprints once a week. Usually do 1 300 meters, walk 300 meters, 2x200 meters with pushups for break, 3 to 4 100 to 150 meters with push ups for break, and then 1 more 300 meter run. Then usually run 1.5 to 2 miles before and 1.5 to 2 miles afterwards.

Been doing 200 leg press on the machine and 160 on the resistance machine. Think I am at 145 to 150 for leg curls and extensions.

Old 12-05-2017, 08:42 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,924,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Hi, so I have a test Sunday have to run 300 meters in 56 seconds. I have done the 300 Meters in this order 58, 64, 52, 69, and 54.
Is that next Sunday, as in Dec. 10? It looks as if you've done enough running at longer distances to be in good condition. If your test is as close as Dec. 10, at this point you should do more of a final tuneup. Training too hard just before an event will bring the risk of tiring you out for the event. If you have a good conditioning base, you won't lose that with a few days of lighter training, so it's actually good to ease back some in the last few days before a big event.

Quote:
With the Holiday's and last week haven't ran Sprints. However, did a 3 Mile Tempo Run and have shaved a minute off each mile for a 10K. Can run 7 miles in 60 minutes. Plus been doing at least 2 days of legs a week. Plus been strengthening my core and back for the last two month's.
It looks as if you've been focusing too much on longer runs. To improve your speed, you need to run fast. You need to do enough fast running to be well conditioned for speed, and to develop the feel for running fast. Therefore, you should use the next few days to work on speed.

It would be good if you had been working on this for some time. It's a little late to develop conditioning for speed at this point, but you can use the next few days to at least become comfortable with the feel of running all out for that distance.

The conditioning from running longer distances may help, since 300 meters is a long enough sprint that endurance comes into play. It's also good psychologically to know that you have run faster the the required time, so you know you're capable of this. Now you'd do best to become used to the feel of sprinting as much as possible over the next few days.

Don't do too much sprinting, though. You don't want to wear yourself out so close before the test. I'd suggest doing several 300-meter sprints Wednesday and Thursday. Follow these up each day with several shorter sprints, say 40-50 yards.

The purpose of these shorter sprints is to give yourself the sense of what it feels like to run at a full sprint. During these short sprints, try to really focus on exploding forward at the start and getting up to full speed as quickly as possible. This is something you're probably not used to if you've focused as much on longer runs as it appears based on what you have written. A quick burst up to full speed could make the difference between making the time you need to and maybe just missing it. Get used to what that feels like.

You should definitely avoid working out on Saturday. You might consider taking Friday off as well. The most I would suggest doing on Friday would be a single all-out 300 sprint, followed by just a few of the shorter sprints. Keep in mind that your conditioning isn't going to change much in just the few days you have before the test. You're better off just getting used to the feel of sprinting. Trying to do too much to improve your conditioning at this point would just cause the risk that you'd be tired the day of the test.

Quote:
I have only ran on the track twice. I've ra on the road mostly and measured 2 loops where it works out to 300 meters.

I am hoping to hit the track tomorrow, but I have a feeling either the road or treadmill.

Quick feedback...Have yet to use the treadmill tomorrow. Debating to see how the weather will be in the morning. I can try to see if the local HS track is accessible at 4AM or run the loops. Might have to wait till I am done with work, but I feel my times when my legs are shot from work don't really show my progress.

Anyone train for sprints on the treadmill? Pros & Cons?
If the test will be on a track, then the track would be the best place to do your final workouts. It would be good to be familiar with running the 300 on the same kind of surface you'll be on for the test. That way nothing feels new and strange during the test.

Next best would be the road. I've never run on a treadmill, but plenty of people who have done so say that it's just not the same as running outside. Also, if you'll be taking the test outside in the cold, it'll be a good idea to have some idea what it feels like to sprint outdoors in that kind of weather.

Quote:
Also cold weather so Sunday is to be in the 20s with snow showers. I've ran Sprints in a half zip micro top witj short sleeves pants and winter hat on. Probably layer up and debating to wear/gloves hats when I Sprint. Any feedback on what to wear? Going to do as much as I can to keep my body as warm and loose as I can before I run.
If you're really warmed up before the test, you can stay warm in light clothing--even just shorts and a t-shirts--during a 300-meter sprint. It would be good to dress as lightly as you can, so your clothing doesn't restrict you during the run.

The only qualification to this is that, in order to make sure your muscles don't stiffen in the cold air while you wait to start, you do need to make sure you can wait until right up to the time you take the starting line before you remove your sweatsuit, jacket, or whatever warm clothing you have on over the light attire you wear during the run.

Last edited by ogre; 12-05-2017 at 08:58 PM..

Old 12-05-2017, 09:09 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,924,217 times
Quote:
I usually do Sprints once a week. Usually do 1 300 meters, walk 300 meters, 2x200 meters with pushups for break, 3 to 4 100 to 150 meters with push ups for break, and then 1 more 300 meter run. Then usually run 1.5 to 2 miles before and 1.5 to 2 miles afterwards.

Been doing 200 leg press on the machine and 160 on the resistance machine. Think I am at 145 to 150 for leg curls and extensions.
Okay, I didn't notice before my earlier post that it was the OP making this second post. If your test is as soon as Dec. 10, I'd suggest that from now until then you not do the longer runs you describe here. Just warm up with a lap or two around the track, or easy jogging of similar distance on the road, before sprinting.

I would also suggest that instead of finishing your sprinting workout with three or four runs of 100 to 150, it may be better to do just a couple of those, and finish with several very short sprints, like 40-50 yards/meters. Those are the ones you would use to focus especially on getting up to speed as quickly as possible at the start. You want to do this on the longer sprints as well, but the shorter sprints will give you the chance to gain the feel for getting up to full speed right from the start, without wearing you out so soon before the test.

Don't do too much in the last few days before the test. With all the running you've been doing, you should be in good condition already. You're not going to get in even better condition in just the next few days, but if you do too much, you risk tiring yourself for the test. The next few days should be more of a final tuneup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness