Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 07:08 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,385,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjasse View Post
There is no scientific basis for "muscle confusion" and it is one of the most BS teachings of crossfit. There's also no such thing as "cardio memory."

I'll fully agree with the fact that "muscle confusion" is BS. However, it's a P90x thing, not a CrossFit thing. I've never heard one coach at any of the gyms I've been to refer to "muscle confusion", unless he/she was poking fun at Tony Horton.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2015, 07:16 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,006,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Yeah, look at these pencil necked dweebs! No muscle growth there.....

Now is Glassman's comment about CrossFit being great for hypertrophy and second only to dedicated bodybuilding routines ridiculous? Absolutely. That doesn't make your statement above true, however.
Anyone can post a pic. You're sure those guys built those bodies doing crossfit? You're sure there wasn't some powerlifting or bodybuilding going on as well? Most importantly, you can prove it?

Old 03-14-2015, 12:04 PM

5,842 posts, read 4,177,467 times
Quote:
I'll fully agree with the fact that "muscle confusion" is BS. However, it's a P90x thing, not a CrossFit thing. I've never heard one coach at any of the gyms I've been to refer to "muscle confusion", unless he/she was poking fun at Tony Horton.

tjasse was responding to Der Vogel, who said this:

But you don't get this in CrossFit. That's because it "keeps those muscles confused" as Glassman call it, by varying the workouts via different WODs.

Old 03-14-2015, 12:05 PM

I really think most elite CFers who are jacked got their build from something other than CF, or they have insane genetics. Most CFers I know look like regular in-shape guys, nothing more.

Old 03-14-2015, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Vogel View Post
I have a new digital stop watch and have run the 100 yards (yes: yards, not meters, since I used the football field at nearby Mile High School)--using it a total of four times since I got my spurious 10.8 a while back. (which, btw, was also on the same field..sorry, I mis-spoke with M's & not Y's.)

these are my times...on grass-with shorts and t-shirt and my old soccer cleats:

11.84....11.73.....11.90....12.02------in order, two runs a day, on this past Wed. and Thurs.

timing myself by holding watch in right hand and just clicking at start and at crossing goal line.
So your average 100 yard dash was 11.87, which would come out to a 100 meter time of 12.98. So rather than running a 10.8 second 100M, you can run about a 13 second 100M. That's not even in the same ballpark.

Also, why did you criticize someone and imply they were ignorant for not knowing a concept that you admit you made up?

This is why your credibility is shot.

Old 03-14-2015, 01:11 PM

515 posts, read 1,004,803 times
Quote:

Now is Glassman's comment about CrossFit being great for hypertrophy and second only to dedicated bodybuilding routines ridiculous? Absolutely. That doesn't make your statement above true, however.
Elite athletes in every sport look the way they do despite their training, not because of it. Elliot Hulse explains is best here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xaqCsH0_5M

Edit: also your anecdotal evidence does not constitute data; kipping pull-ups and slap tears are positively correlated and there is overwhelming data to show this. Correlation does not = causation, however, it is a risky maneuver when proper strength and form are lacking. Add this on top of being tired and you have a recipe for pain, which is ridiculous since most people want to be healthy and move well

Last edited by schmedes2; 03-14-2015 at 01:20 PM..

Old 03-14-2015, 02:21 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Quote:

Lol, Rich Froning, he was an athlete before he ever even stepped foot inside a Crossfit gym. That is the thing about numerous of these elite Crossfit types, they were doing other things before Crossfit, they came into Crossfit already in great shape and strong. Nothing wrong with that at all, but it gives the ill-informed that they got this way from Crossift alone, when in fact they came in already in great shape and are now training specifically for the Crossfit games. This is not unique to Crossfit, but it seems some Crossfit participants like purposely overlook or turn a blind eye to this fact.

Also, for elite people like Rich, he is doing his own programming, as is probably every competitive Crossfit Games participant. In no way are these people representitve of the generic Crossfit gym and its members. Again, not unique to Crossfit as champion powerlifters sure as hell are not doing generic routines everyone else is, they have their own custom programs. This is the same in every sport, you have the generic routines, then you have the competitors who have their own custom programming.

Old 03-15-2015, 09:54 AM

1,188 posts, read 1,465,707 times
Quote:

IMO Crossfit and P90x are basically the same sort of fitness program. Like a "conditioning" program you do at basic training or summer football camp.

At least P90x is more honest in advertising that it's just a way to lose some fat so you look good at the beach. Crossfit promotes a cult like mentality filled with guys like Der Vogel and their ludicrious claims. It's basically a fitness MLM.

Old 03-15-2015, 03:51 PM

Quote:
It's basically a fitness MLM.
I've never thought of it in those terms, but that's spot-on!

Old 03-15-2015, 08:58 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,006,045 times
Quote:
IMO Crossfit and P90x are basically the same sort of fitness program. Like a "conditioning" program you do at basic training or summer football camp.

At least P90x is more honest in advertising that it's just a way to lose some fat so you look good at the beach. Crossfit promotes a cult like mentality filled with guys like Der Vogel and their ludicrious claims. It's basically a fitness MLM.
Very true. I think CF's business model is better than their programming. By a long shot!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness